Not open for further replies.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The problem is, once this stuff starts it prompts others to do more of the same, then it gets worse and more destructive.

There's a mountian ridge we hike called Devel's Nose. At some point several years ago, some fucking dickhead spray painted thier name on the Rock formation... now the rock formation is covered with spray painted graffiti. It looks like your typical LA back-alley shit hole now.

The residual effects of rubber and displaced soil/gravel from normal use on marked trails is one thing, purposeful vandalism is totally different.

It's simple-minded and short-sighted for people to say it was just a little writing and not a big deal, but I suppose more and more people have the narcissistic, I don't give a fuck about anyone else, attitude these days.

People just don't have integrity anymore.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you! All I could think of while reading this petty banter. Do off-roaders put every piece of gravel back in its place when they're done?
just the pure nature of the "sport" - is to break stuff around you with your big stinky machine
....which is fine more or less, stuff grows back
but MOAB in particular - I guess the 4WD community picked the parts they want permanently ruined and stick to those locations pretty carefully.

Apparently this person was "colloring outside the lines" ...

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, the virtue signaling from the never-did-anything-stupid-when-I-was-a-kid crowd is next level.

They f-d up, they owned up, they pad the price. Hardly worthy of a news article and the pitchfork mob.

However, this is a perfect example of the need for off-road education for beginners and novices.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess the 4WD community picked the parts they want permanently ruined and stick to those locations pretty carefully.

Apparently this person was "colloring outside the lines" ...
That's a great way to look at it. We're not going to get new trails so we need to conserve what we have with minimal impact.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

However, this is a perfect example of the need for off-road education for beginners and novices.
Exactly this. There's a lot of new offroaders buying Broncos and there's a certain etiquette that should be passed along and followed. Part of why UTVs get so much hate is the casual owners/renters that don't follow the etiquette.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So if some random human drew a likeness of an animal or outlined their hand on a rock 10,000 years ago it is a terrific find. Yeah, I don’t care for the graffiti, but one has to admit what ten or so millenniums can do to change the perspective. Lol

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly this. There's a lot of new offroaders buying Broncos and there's a certain etiquette that should be passed along and followed. Part of why UTVs get so much hate is the casual owners/renters that don't follow the etiquette.
A simple solution would be that all sponsored off-road events (Bronco Safari, Jeep Jamboree, whatever) have a basic off-road etiquette education class for all new participants.

-If this is the first time you have registered for this specific event: 30 minute class.
-You participated 3 years ago but brought your 16 yo daughter to the event for her first time: 30 minute class.
-You have been going to the Jeep Jamboree for 20 years now but this is your first time registering for our event? Don't care: 30 minute class.
-You have been coming to our event for the past 5 years and have already sat through our basic off-road etiquette class but want a refresher and to see if anything has changed? You are more than welcome to have a seat at our 30 minute class.

Not saying the event is responsible for the Finn Fam antics but they should use it as a learning experience and as a teachable moment.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A simple solution would be that all sponsored off-road events (Bronco Safari, Jeep Jamboree, whatever) have a basic off-road etiquette education class for all new participants.

-If this is the first time you have registered for this specific event: 30 minute class.
-You participated 3 years ago but brought your 16 yo daughter to the event for her first time: 30 minute class.
-You have been going to the Jeep Jamboree for 20 years now but this is your first time registering for our event? Don't care: 30 minute class.
-You have been coming to our event for the past 5 years and have already sat through our basic off-road etiquette class but want a refresher and to see if anything has changed? You are more than welcome to have a seat at our 30 minute class.

Not saying the event is responsible for the Finn Fam antics but they should use it as a learning experience and as a teachable moment.
Finally someone going to teach me how to write my name in the snow! Bronco groups are one thing, some of the hardcore groups will drive right over you and your ideas. This is just a drivers meeting discussion.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if some random human drew a likeness of an animal or outlined their hand on a rock 10,000 years ago it is a terrific find. Yeah, I don’t care for the graffiti, but one has to admit what ten or so millenniums can do to change the perspective. Lol
Once the internet stink calms down, the only people who will care that Finn Fam was at Moab in 2023 is the Finn Fam.

Cave paintings hundreds of thousands of years ago were the only method of documenting their society... this isn't that.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see the Utah OHV course eventually expanding to all trail users too.

b_moar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw this myself! My girlfriend and I took a short stop at Catacomb Rock and this graffiti really irritated us.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, you are kinda like a dog pissing on stuff to show that you have arrived. "Every" dog does it, so what the heck is the problem with the rest of us? But no, most of us have not stacked rocks or written our name on a rock at a State or National area. That's what you are.
Not at all.... I'm simply saying, it sounds like people are ready to give this family death threats over this, and it was an honest mistake, and it wasn't vulgar.

Hasn't your kid ever written on something with a permanent marker thinking that it would just wipe off?

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They apologize for their "negligence"?

Guess they're not willing to take any ownership for what they did

Negligence would be failing to prevent something from happening. This was a decision to do something, not a failure to prevent something.

Losing a trailer wheel, not realizing and dragging a trailer, and messing up the trail for 20 feet is negligence. It's a mistake. Still bad but not something you decided to do.

This is vandalism plain and simple. They did it, it didn't happen to them.

Doin't do a jerk think and then try to pretend you weren't being a jerk because you got in trouble.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco groups are one thing, some of the hardcore groups will drive right over you and your ideas. This is just a drivers meeting discussion.
I get that, and a quick drivers meeting would be for returning participants. But if tread lightly is truly a concern then even the most hardcore rock-crawler should be willing to sit through a 30 minute class no matter their age, experience or skill level. If not, then this whole tread lightly concept is nothing but virtue signaling bs.

Again, my proposal would only be for all first time event registrants to make sure no-one slips through the cracks. After that, have at it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.