MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As I spent some time perusing the site this weekend I was taken aback by some things.

To me (as a 47 year old guy) the Bronco harkens back to the rugged individualists like our fathers and grandfathers. A tough as nails ride that could do things unheard of at the time for a commercially produced vehicle.

But are we too modern? Are we too soft?

I see threads complaining about not being able to get air conditioned seats at a certain trim level. Do you think your grandad was worried about cold air blowing up his rear end while he ran his Bronco down to the lake to go fishing? If cold air up the backside is so important then just maybe a vehicle designed to have the top and doors off may not be right for you.

Lots of complaints about vinyl seats being too hot and sweaty. Basically, see the above comments. Some of y'all never rode around on vinyl bench seats in your grandmas old car without air conditioning back in the day and it shows. I can remember peeling myself off the vinyl/pleather seats in an old VW my aunt drove back then. No permanent harm. You too shall survive.

I saw some nit picking about not having built in garage door openers in the visors at some trim levels. Really? Are we really this needy? Is the indignity of having to carry around a garage door opener just going to be a deal breaker? It's possibly the most capable off road vehicle straight off the showroom floor ever produced. . . but we're going to stress no opener. C'mon man.

Complaints about not being able to get a 12 inch screen at some trims abound as well. You're driving a vehicle, not watching netflix. You don't need a giant flat screen planted in the middle of your dash in order to properly operate your rig. Look out the window. See the world around you. Pay attention to the idiots driving around looking at their screen(s) and take evasive action. Stop staring at the thing parked in your dash. It's overkill.

I think some here may be better serviced by getting something like a Land Rover/Range Rover or other luxury SUV. There you can ride around pampered, cold air blowing up your arse, as you push the button to open the garage to park your ride in so it won't dare get dirty. I've owned those. They are great. But they are a FAR cry from their off road/rugged heritage. If that's what you want or need, go get it.

A Bronco is going to be many different things to many different people but the breed/brand is hard and outdoorsy. It's not refinement and luxury. It's rugged and rough around the edges. It is not skinny jeans sipping a latte on the way to spin class . . . it's wearing carharts with some black coffee on the way to spend time in the outdoors on a mountain bike. So behave accordingly.

Just one grumpy old man opinion. Rant is over. Now, get off my lawn. ;-)
Sponsored

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes! I try to stay out of those threads. And I will add to the points you made that the Bronco is very luxurious for what it is. It's not exactly roughing it.

Broncie

Raptor
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Totally understand where you're coming from, but everyone has their own reasons.

You are correct in that many years ago the luxuries people expect in modern-day vehicles were never even an option or something you cared about. There is one difference though, the money ;) . Ford thankfully has a Bronco for everyone. The trim levels from base to wildtrak offer the features you dont want or do want based on your preference. Seeing as the First Edition and Wildtrak and many more of the Broncos are going to range from 40 to 60 grand, I could understand people wanting certain features at a price that steep.

To each their own :)

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I Totally get what you are saying, I think we all have gotten a little soft as our society caters to us more and more. But that being said vehicles these days are expensive, hell my 1st house 22 years ago was 47k, now everyone is ok with building out a 60k plus bronco, I think it’s ok to ask and want more out of our car manufactures if they are asking us to pay these astronomical prices..

Last edited:

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

They didn't have air conditioning back in the old days. You know what they did to deal with the heat?

They invented air conditioning.

But anyway, internet forums are where people come to complain. Plenty of us I'm sure can manage just fine with a utilitarian vehicle and some may even revel in it - but there's nothing wrong with wanting something nice every now and then.

Sponsored

KingBronco

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco, 1966 Bronco U13
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As I spent some time perusing the site this weekend I was taken aback by some things.

To me (as a 47 year old guy) the Bronco harkens back to the rugged individualists like our fathers and grandfathers. A tough as nails ride that could do things unheard of at the time for a commercially produced vehicle.

I see threads complaining about not being able to get air conditioned seats at a certain trim level. Do you think your grandad was worried about cold air blowing up his rear end while he ran his Bronco down to the lake to go fishing? If cold air up the backside is so important then just maybe a vehicle designed to have the top and doors off may not be right for you.

Lots of complaints about vinyl seats being too hot and sweaty. Basically, see the above comments. Some of y'all never rode around on vinyl bench seats in your grandmas old car without air conditioning back in the day and it shows. I can remember peeling myself off the vinyl/pleather seats in an old VW my aunt drove back then. No permanent harm. You too shall survive.

I saw some nit picking about not having built in garage door openers in the visors at some trim levels. Really? Are we really this needy? Is the indignity of having to carry around a garage door opener just going to be a deal breaker? It's possibly the most capable off road vehicle straight off the showroom floor ever produced. . . but we're going to stress no opener. C'mon man.

Complaints about not being able to get a 12 inch screen at some trims abound as well. You're driving a vehicle, not watching netflix. You don't need a giant flat screen planted in the middle of your dash in order to properly operate your rig. Look out the window. See the world around you. Pay attention to the idiots driving around looking at their screen(s) and take evasive action. Stop staring at the thing parked in your dash. It's overkill.

I think some here may be better serviced by getting something like a Land Rover/Range Rover or other luxury SUV. There you can ride around pampered, cold air blowing up your arse, as you push the button to open the garage to park your ride in so it won't dare get dirty. I've owned those. They are great. But they are a FAR cry from their off road/rugged heritage. If that's what you want or need, go get it.

A Bronco is going to be many different things to many different people but the breed/brand is hard and outdoorsy. It's not refinement and luxury. It's rugged and rough around the edges. It is not skinny jeans sipping a latte on the way to spin class . . . it's wearing carharts with some black coffee on the way to spend time in the outdoors on a mountain bike. So behave accordingly.

I agree, however... I feel like I couldn't help but have this playing in my head reading your post:

[slow start] This ol' world is getting to me. There's just no trust, no 'tegridy.
So I loaded up the kids, took my wife by the arm, [switches to fast tempo with a band joining in] and I moved on out to a Colorado farm.
Now it's early to bed, early to rise. The crops are plowed and it's no surprise
City folks are fightin' and I don't give a darn (darn, darn)
'Cause I make my livin' on a Colorado farm.
I gotta drive the tractor, gotta cut the grass
Chut-chut goes the baler like it's never gonna last
There's food in the kitchen and there's bud in the barn. (barn, barn)
That's life livin' on a Colorado farm.
Ice-cold beer, pickup truck. Country music, listin' shit.
We got tegridy to keep us warm.
That's what you get on a Colorado farm.
And I'm gonna stay on a Colorado farm.

Shiiit.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Granpa's old Bronco didn't cost $50k plus either! Are we softer than we were 50 years ago, maybe, same was probably said from the generation 50 years before that when all the new fangled devices started showing up.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I want a tough truck number one that looks like a Bronco....it has to be very capable and tough out of the box, with a roof that I can drop or take off. That's it....for me to buy. But if I am buying and can also get things to make it more convenient like a garage door opener, cameras to self spot when on the trail, adaptive cruise....then I want those too. The first part is essential...I'll take the second if I can get it.

You do you.

Sponsored

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its already been said but again.... $60k+ is not a 'roughing it" price point.
This 49 year old expects both the "tough as nails ride that could do things unheard of at the time for a commercially produced vehicle." and modern technology that this price point should have..... and I have a video doorbell to discourage people from getting on my lawn!!

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes - and Jeep has found this out too - there is definitely a large segment of buyers attracted to rugged looks, but still want their Explorer Platinum level of ride and luxury.

To me, it’s OK because that promised volume gets us the Bronco back - and I’ll just get a Badlands with very few options and go adventuring.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And I bet our great grand fathers made the exact same points when his son came home with the families first automobile. "Bah, whats wrong with the horses in the barn.?!?!?"

And I bet I will make the same points when my great grandson comes home with the families first hybrid-hover-drone-crossover thingy-ma-gig.

Until then, its my $60k, my Bronco and I will outfit it as I see necessary.

Edit. And by your logic you should be writing this to the opinion pages of your local newspaper and not posting it on the internet. Or have you gotten to soft??
Sponsored

Last edited: