Sponsored

Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen...

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Jeep messed up when they abandoned the Forward Control FC concept.

This on 35"s, should have been awesome, capable and practical.

media_httpuncratecomp_vaocg-scaled1000.jpg
the only fiat i would ever buy...
Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm completely onboard with the fact Jeeps or Broncos aren't suitable trucks for the reasons you mentioned (namely suspension unable to off-road and tow well at the same time, bed length). That being said, people like them and buy them so they should make them. hashtag capitalism? Hell, I think they're neat before my brain kicks in and remembers that they're useless as far as real truck duties.

A two-door Jeep truck with a more truck-like suspension would be compelling, though. It would be an okay though expensive truck with a regular bed. There's a place for that I think.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It looks like it is possible to up the towing cap to 6,000-7,200lbs though on the build and price I could only get it to 6,000lbs. Not bad though. Hmm!

EDIT 2: Yeah, I couldn't do with such a short bed. I can fit an eight foot ladder in my relatively small Subaru Crosstrek and the Gladiator couldn't touch it. Plus for the same price I get 400 torque with the Bronco! That escalated quickly lol.

Last edited:

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the OP is looking at the gladiator wrong. He's correct that it's not great at anything, but most people don't really need real truck or the most capable off roader.

It's a great fit for someone like myself who loves the rugged off-road looks, wants the open air experience, and who could really use a small truck bed for throwing my fishing gear in the back or picking up mulch.

The gladiator still has good towing capability and really good off road capability.

If it wasn't a Chrysler, I'd already have one. If bronco was offering a truck right now, I'd absolutely be in.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand the hate when I see stock Gladiators that look like this:

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... jeep-crew-chief-715-concept-2016-easter-jeep-safari_100549039_h

They are horrible looking. But very few people will find these same vehicle hideous:

The problem with the Gladiators is you have to spend 20-30k to beat the ugly out. After that they are amazing.
$20-30k is a bit high to make the gladiator look good in my opinion lol. Spend $2-3k on a solid lift and throw on some 37s for another $2k....wallah, behold.

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... 047E6A3F-8B98-4D72-8AB7-AFA7F80EC526

Sponsored

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I was seriously thinking about a gladiator while waiting for the Bronco. The higher towing capacity is a seriously intriguing thing. I want to be able to wheel some and take a trailer somewhere.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeep was hoping to sell between 60-80k Gladiators a year. YTD they have sold 69k. 3rd quarter this year vs last the Gladiator sales are up 37%. The Ranger is only up 8.2%. The Gladiator has sold 69k vs Rangers 74k YTD. Not exactly bad numbers at all.

Not saying you have to like the Gladiator but I think Jeep did their homework and it is selling as they were hoping. It did have a slow start though. But, it has best in class payload and towing so it does its job as a midsized truck. Plus the back seat is one of the roomiest. But for that you pay the price with poor breakover. Simple 2" lift and 35s solves it. Plus if your worried about breakover, you are not keeping your truck stock.

Everyone says they want single cab and manual transmissions but the data shows no one buys them. The crew cab 5' bed is by far the top selling midsized truck configuration. Saying they would sell a ton if it was a single cab is rubbish. Most of the other brands don't sell a single cab any more because it doesn't sell. Even the Scrambler didn't sell well. But yes, that 2 door jeep truck is awesome looking. They should make it just because I want to see one on the road.

I think they are pricy. I would agree with that. If you want more truck and less off road, the Ram 1500 is better for the money. But if the Gladiator's resale ends up anything like the Wrangler, then it would still be a better value than any other mid sized truck.
You should look up CAFE regulations and see how our government forced auto makers to build larger vehicles starting around ten to 15 years ago. You will learn much about what happened to the small and mid-sized pickup truck market. It isn't that no one wanted a small truck so manufacturer's stopped making them. Our media and people have been spreading this rumor for several years now. People have been asking for the return of small pickup trucks since manufacturer's stopped making them 10 to 14 years ago. Manufacturers have been listening and are responding with new midsized pickup trucks but in a much longer and wider configuration than in the 90's and 2000's to meet fuel mileage regulations, hence the crew cab. Note that I did not say "to improve fuel economy".

Data doesn't always tell the whole story.

I agree that the J6 looks awesome.

Last edited:

Digital_Synapse

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco, 2020 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I want an offload vehicle that can carry my kids carseats in it. 4 door bronco it is, because a minivan won't work.

Sponsored

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is all Jeep had to do. Nothing fancy, and nothing 4-door.

If Jeep said they'd build this, I'd drop the Bronco. Yes, it's that serious, and that much of a total screwup on Jeeps part.

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... 047E6A3F-8B98-4D72-8AB7-AFA7F80EC526

Spot on. If Jeep built that I wouldn't be here. I'd have my forever vehicle as long as it remained a purchasable option. Once Jeep said they were making a pickup that is immediately what my mind pictured. Then we got greeted with the mile and a half long Gladiator and it vaporized any desire. They look good with a lift and 37s but are just too god damn long.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I'd take the Crew Chief. Nothing but Nice. ?
jeep-crew-chief-715-concept-2016-easter-jeep-safari_100549039_h.jpg
This is the front end that jeep should have used. An actual Gladiator.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is the front end that jeep should have used. An actual Gladiator.
I own a gladiator and I would prefer that front end. That rendering is awesome. Not aerodynamic at all but looks amazing.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's not a rendering. Jeep actually made it.
That pic is a horrible background photo shop.

A lot more pictures and description at the link.

https://www.quadratec.com/c/build-up/jeep-crew-chief-715

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... Jeep-Crew-Chief-715-Main-2x
Wow, I had no idea. That thing is a beast. I would love to see an aftermarket front end like that. Not so sure about those skinny ass retro tires though.

I do like my gladiator because it reminds me of an old military truck, like this one does.
Sponsored