Sponsored

Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen...

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Actually, no. The 4-door is WAY too long to be a good off-road vehicle. The 2-door is just as long as the JLU, which is arguably already too long for a "great" off-road vehicle. The 4-Door truck jeep was a bad mistake of a design and not as capable as it need to be for the market. Therefore, the market has rejected it.
Agreed.

When Jeep said they were going to do a pickup, I was picturing something like the old Scrambler or a slightly bigger and modern version of the Comanche. Instead, they built this long 4-door abomination that they claimed focus groups wanted.

If they had built something closer to what Dynatrac's project Code-X looked like before it got the Overland bed, they might have been had a better reception. I know it would've got my attention, at least until I would've seen it's price.

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... Dynatrac Code-X Gladiator
Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is all Jeep had to do. Nothing fancy, and nothing 4-door.

If Jeep said they'd build this, I'd drop the Bronco. Yes, it's that serious, and that much of a total screwup on Jeeps part.

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... Dynatrac Code-X Gladiator

If Jeep had offered a 2-door Gladiator--I'd already own one! People, me included, have begged Jeep for a 2-door option, but they seem content to tell us what we want. Maybe when sales plummet, they'll start listening. Ford got it right--they listened to what we want!

Red Mountain Pass

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco, 1968 Buick Riviera GS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was shopping Gladiator's when they were launched. I found them to be way overpriced, crappy interior colors/choices, and severely underpowered for the price they wanted. I ended up purchasing a nice RAM full size for $10K less. Jeep missed a golden opportunity.

It will be interesting to see what Ford does down the road.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the Gladiator is hideous stock in Rubicon clothing. Jeep should have went all out with 1-ton axles and 40s, which would be appropriately proportionate.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Jeep was hoping to sell between 60-80k Gladiators a year. YTD they have sold 69k. 3rd quarter this year vs last the Gladiator sales are up 37%. The Ranger is only up 8.2%. The Gladiator has sold 69k vs Rangers 74k YTD. Not exactly bad numbers at all.

Not saying you have to like the Gladiator but I think Jeep did their homework and it is selling as they were hoping. It did have a slow start though. But, it has best in class payload and towing so it does its job as a midsized truck. Plus the back seat is one of the roomiest. But for that you pay the price with poor breakover. Simple 2" lift and 35s solves it. Plus if your worried about breakover, you are not keeping your truck stock.

Everyone says they want single cab and manual transmissions but the data shows no one buys them. The crew cab 5' bed is by far the top selling midsized truck configuration. Saying they would sell a ton if it was a single cab is rubbish. Most of the other brands don't sell a single cab any more because it doesn't sell. Even the Scrambler didn't sell well. But yes, that 2 door jeep truck is awesome looking. They should make it just because I want to see one on the road.

I think they are pricy. I would agree with that. If you want more truck and less off road, the Ram 1500 is better for the money. But if the Gladiator's resale ends up anything like the Wrangler, then it would still be a better value than any other mid sized truck.

Sponsored

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Enthusiasts generally want a small cab, short wheelbase, cheap, simple vehicle with a manual so that they can build it the way they want. The problem is enthusiasts usually keep their vehicles for much longer than the average person. Manufacturers are in the business to sell. What sells? Well around here the Wranglers are about 80% or more are 4 door automatic with luxury accessories. Pickup trucks are crew cabs. So Jeep made what sells to the majority. It sucks for us but we are outnumbered more ways than one.

Kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 GC Trailhawk; ‘20 Honda Passport; '74 VW KG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My opinion (yeah, it probably sucks):

The Jeep Gladiator just seems WAY overpriced and some crazy equivalent to the Honda Ridgeline in the Honda lineup or the late GM (uggh) Envoy XUV. It looks decent on the outside, but really has none of the features I want from a pickup, like towing and looking like the same vehicle inside (Wrangler and Pilot).

Not a Jeep Wrangler fan, either, unless it's the old AMCs.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To me that is just an argument on 2 door vs 4 door...
This is basically the same concept The gladiator already is, you just basically removed the 4 door option...
If this is whatcha dig - cool..
A new version of the CJ-8 Scrambler. OR the original formation Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (without the stupid full length top and second set of seats).

flyfish

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2016 Nissan 370z Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would love if Ford offered a Bronco with a 3/4 cab with a 5' bed, I want some interior room behind the seats, gear, groceries... with the ability to stow additional gear in the bed and make the occasional HD run. I could live with 4 doors if I had too. If they marketed it as a lifestyle bronco truck I don't think it would compete with the Ranger.

The 4 door Gladi does look strange unless it has a proper stance, Ive seen a few with 33's that look decent, 35's or 37's look better. Good news is Jeep has finally fixed the steering issue and you can pickup one for 5% below invoice at most dealers, so it seems like the Bronco has already had a positive effect for Stellantis (soon to be new name of the merger of FCA and Peugeot S.A).

Example below is based on a JKU, looks like a 4'ish bed...

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... jkute2

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could totally get behind a two door Jeep pickup on a four door Wrangler frame. I think they look sweet. I also agree Gladiator looks kind of awkward unless it's rolling on 37's. 35's just don't cut it for me. In my opinion, 35's are barely enough for most four door Wrangler builds (including mine).

If Ford offered a kit to turn two door Broncos into tiny pickups by giving us a different cap and pulling the back seat, I bet that would sell like crazy. I hope the aftermarket comes out with something. I will be tempted to do it to mine if I get bored years down the road.

Or better yet, offer that partition that's on the Filson concept for a two door and we can cobble together the rest with the aftermarket.

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Agreed.

When Jeep said they were going to do a pickup, I was picturing something like the old Scrambler or a slightly bigger and modern version of the Comanche. Instead, they built this long 4-door abomination that they claimed focus groups wanted.

If they had built something closer to what Dynatrac's project Code-X looked like before it got the Overland bed, they might have been had a better reception. I know it would've got my attention, at least until I would've seen it's price.

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... jkute2
Wouldn't say the Market rejected it. They are about to sell 80k Gladiators this year. That's solid sales when you realize the Wranglers sell 150-160k a year. That's also the 4th best model sales for Jeep behind the Wrangler (160k), Grand Cherokee (150k), and Cherokee (90k). Pretty sure Jeep is quite happy with that.

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At first I was excited about the Gladiator. It was going to be my next purchase, but at the time it didn't come to pass. Looking back I am glad I didn't pull that trigger. Seeing them on the road reinforces my decision. It just looks....odd. I have owned a '78 CJ7 and '84 Bronco and neither style should be converted to a pick-up. That is why I have my '04 Dakota, it is a midsize pickup. Let pick-up trucks be separate than Jeeps/Broncos. It is for the good of mankind. :)

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Personal I like the Gladiator. I think Jeep did a fantastic job on the design, (See pic below). I almost bought one but decided to wait for a Bronco. I still may add one to the stable as I'm always finding myself looking for a Home Depot runner. When I was in the market I test drove a Toyota Tacoma and a Gladiator, hands down the Gladiator was the clear winner for me. I currently own a Trd Pro 4Runnner plus Rubicon and enjoy both brands. But the Gladiator had both performance and comfort way ahead of the Tacoma IMO. I've never driven a Ford Ranger but when I'm ready for a small pickup, it will be considered along with the Gladiator. It will be interesting to see if Ford does a Bronco pick up. As far as cool factor I would rather have a Bronco pickup over Ranger, just my humble opinion ?.
2020-custom-jeep-gladiator-rubicon-jt-gobi-pf.jpg

Last edited:

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Jeep Gladiator is one of the ugliest vehicles, if not the ugliest, on the road today. I already find Wranglers to be ugly, and the Gladiator cranks it to the extreme. the only time I find the Gladiator to okay is when the bed is covered with racks and you can’t tell it’s a bed and even then it’s still hideous. If the Bronco gets the same truck treatment (make the 4 door longer and slap a bed on back) it will likely be the second ugliest vehicle on the road. It’s a jack of all trades, master of none. I would rather get a Ranger or F150 or Bronco with a trailer than a Gladiator or Bronco truck.
Sponsored