Sponsored

Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen...

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is no trying to get them here... they are like 80's/90's tech for crash testing and mediocre at that. And then you have to get some kind of a powertrain that will hit some sort of emissions/economy standard too.

And then for the masses they would be trying to sell a rough/crude 1980's ride quality.

I would love one more than most but it is never going to happen.
The price in Australia on those is crazy too. They start at like $75,000AUD.

Bringing them up to NA standards an expectations would, unfortunately, push that price even higher.

I'd kill for one. I see them quite often here in Canada. You can buy new ones here but only for mining. Kills me to see something on the back of a flatbed that I can't have.
Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm betting that the preponderance of folks that got Gladiators got what they were looking for. They like the look--and idea--of having a jeep, with the added functionality of having a bed to throw stuff in. They aren't, for the most part, hardcore overlanders but may be the regular guy/gal that likes to take the family camping a few times a year when they aren't "doing life" and running to Lowe's on the weekends.

I agree that the idea of the Bronco truck is interesting and out of pure curiosity I'd love to see what Ford came up with for a production model. For me it could be a possibility because I do love the utility of having a bed to throw stuff in but I don't need a large one. Additionally, I'm not an overlander so I'm not sweating things like best in class breakover or obsessing over gear ratios--not because they aren't important design features, but based on my principal uses for such a vehicle, they wouldn't impact me day-to-day.

I sure wish these were easier to get in the U.S.; blows my mind that Toyota doesn't try harder to get these into the U.S. market! If they were I doubt I'd even be on this forum! I give you the 2020 Land Cruiser Namib.
1612444399011.png

1612444509469.png
I pretty much fall in that category for a Gladiator owner. I have taken it off roading a few times, with a small lift, 35s, and a 4:88 regear. It does quite well. Plus it pulls or family travel trailer, and does all my daily truck stuff. Oh, and the top and doors come off. I have ended up enjoying it more that I thought I would.

Once the kids move out and we are empty nesters, I do want a shorter one. We will probably have an RV that pulls a vehicle. So I am hoping jeep or bronco has a 2 door truck by then. The 2 door bronco orders seem to be doing well, and jeep has a 2 door Gladiator concept. So there is a possibility we will see bad ass 2 door truck.

cesarinho

Black Diamond
First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't like the Gladiator, but...Just realized yesterday I cannot get a Big Bend with a manual transsmission AND the mid package... and have to move up to badlands. I will wait until the MY2022 order banks open and hopefully I can order the Bronco I want. I just dont want to be forced into a trim that I don't need for 49.9k... Ford has forced me into the fence and now this manual Taco is staring at me, fully loaded for less than 45k 🤔

Screenshot_20210204-123855~2.png

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
what is the point of a pickup with a <6 foot bed? This whole concept is ridiculous. Unless you're hauling appliances on a regular basis and need the height, using it for only towing, or just like the look of a pickup, it's useless as a pickup without at least a 6ft bed. Also, the suspension requirements just make it a jack of all trades and master of none. Good towing can be had with the ranger. Okay should they make a bronco-style appearance package for a ranger? That would be different.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

what is the point of a pickup with a <6 foot bed? This whole concept is ridiculous. Unless you're hauling appliances on a regular basis and need the height, using it for only towing, or just like the look of a pickup, it's useless as a pickup without at least a 6ft bed. Also, the suspension requirements just make it a jack of all trades and master of none. Good towing can be had with the ranger. Okay should they make a bronco-style appearance package for a ranger? That would be different.
I've never understood why people think a short bed is useless.

Sure... A long bed is better for loading material in but I can still load plywood with no issues. I can load 10ft lengths of lumber with a strap. I do it on a weekly basis. I don't need a huge bed at all times and barely need one ever.

Some folks don't need/want a master of a single trade. I know I can't afford a truck and an off road monster. I'd be perfectly happy giving up a little of either for a single vehicle that can work and have fun at the same time.

Same idea as a Bronco with IFS. Ford gave up some off-road abilities for on-road comfort.

Unfortunately everything is a bit of a concession.

Sponsored

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sure... A long bed is better for loading material in but I can still load plywood with no issues. I can load 10ft lengths of lumber with a strap. I do it on a weekly basis. I don't need a huge bed at all times and barely need one ever.

Some folks don't need/want a master of a single trade. I know I can't afford a truck and an off road monster. I'd be perfectly happy giving up a little of either for a single vehicle that can work and have fun at the same time.

Same idea as a Bronco with IFS. Ford gave up some off-road abilities for on-road comfort.

Fair enough - i guess I would just use a roof rack for lumber material at that point, because in my opinion most trucks that can haul or tow anything worthwhile tend to drive like crap. It's a big concession in my mind.

Edit: also did ford really give up anything from an offroad perspective being IFS? What like an inch of flex compared to a jeep?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fair enough - i guess I would just use a roof rack for lumber material at that point, because in my opinion most trucks that can haul or tow anything worthwhile tend to drive like crap. It's a big concession in my mind.

Edit: also did ford really give up anything from an offroad perspective being IFS? What like an inch of flex compared to a jeep?
A Bronco can carry two sheets of plywood on the roof max. Ha. That's a big concession in my mind and a mid-size truck barely rides like "crap."

Whatever amount of flex it is it's still a concession. It is easier to add more flex to a solid axle than IFS so it's not just what it comes with that matters. Depends on what all of these things are worth to you.

Luckily there are many styles of SUVs and trucks with any length of bed size. Something may not work perfectly for everyone but there is a" best" for everyone.

I just wouldn't say any vehicle is "useless" because it doesn't fit my own needs.

It's pretty clear that many want a 5ft bed whether or not it's the best option for a truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Everybody has different uses for their trucks, that is why they come in difference sizes.

I have a slide in camper... thus for me a tiny bed is nearly worthless.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
A Bronco can carry two sheets of plywood on the roof max. Ha. That's a big concession in my mind and a mid-size truck barely rides like "crap."

Whatever amount of flex it is it's still a concession. It is easier to add more flex to a solid axle than IFS so it's not just what it comes with that matters. Depends on what all of these things are worth to you.

Luckily there are many styles of SUVs and trucks with any length of bed size. Something may not work perfectly for everyone but there is a" best" for everyone.

I just wouldn't say any vehicle is "useless" because it doesn't fit my own needs.

It's pretty clear that many want a 5ft bed whether or not it's the best option for a truck.
I said trucks that can haul anything worthwhile drive like crap (aka, not mid size trucks with ~1300 lb payload ratings, which isn't much more than a 2021 bronco)

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I said trucks that can haul anything worthwhile drive like crap (aka, not mid size trucks with ~1300 lb payload ratings, which isn't much more than a 2021 bronco)
Sure. Though most have more than 1300lbs.

On the flip side... Look at all the full size trucks out there. How many people are maxing those out? 1300lbs is 144 2x4s, 32 sheets of plywood, or 23 sheets of drywall. I don't think those are worthless loads. That's max I would ever haul. No need for the bigger bed and more capacity. A full size is not useful to me but not useless to those who need it.

That's also useable payload capacity. A Base Bronco may have "close" capacity but you'd struggle to put 50 2x4s in it.

Just trying to say a small box and lower capacity isn't "useless." I would wager most full-size buyers would be fine with one.

Again... Its only useful if it works for you. I just don't agree that a small truck is useless or ridiculous. For me, and many others, it's quite practical.

Sponsored

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base

On the flip side... Look at all the full size trucks out there. How many people are maxing those out? 1300lbs is 144 2x4s, 32 sheets of plywood, or 23 sheets of drywall. I don't think those are worthless loads. That's max I would ever haul. No need for the bigger bed and more capacity. A full size is not useful to me but not useless to those who need it.

That's also useable payload capacity. A Base Bronco may have "close" capacity but you'd struggle to put 50 2x4s in it.

Just trying to say a small box and lower capacity isn't "useless." I would wager most full-size buyers would be fine with one.

Again... Its only useful if it works for you. I just don't agree that a small truck is useless or ridiculous. For me, and many others, it's quite practical.
I agree with your sentiment. My prior post was regarding full size trucks with short beds. It’s a lot of truck to have a short bed. Mid size truck is very different in my opinion and also more suv-like and more drivable. Also the payload is inclusive of passengers so if you’ve got 4 adults in a Tacoma you really only get 750 lbs of payload. Not a common occurrence but again; I was really talking full size trucks.

we all want our vehicles to do everything and we all sacrifice somewhere. I just think short bed full size trucks areaa disproportionate amount of sacrifice for what you get. The gladiator is a 50 inch bed so as far as I’m concerned it’s almost useless for hauling between that and the payload limit. That’s barely half of an 8xX.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been thinking about the Gladiator more and more these days, especially after seeing three different Gladiator RUBICON's at Yellowstone National Park last summer (all optioned to the max, beautiful clean paint, really cute matching luggage in each, no hint of their owners wanting to drive their $65K toys off the blacktop) and what that class of vehicle really brings to the JEEP brand.
  • Is it a truck? If it is, it's a really poor choice as a truck
  • Is it a off road beast? It has the kit, but again, it's form factor makes it a really poor choice
  • Does it still drive like a JEEP (and all the negative that implies on-road)? Yea!
  • Is the Gladiator simply another Ridgeline with a very select audience and unable to turn a profit even with $20K of options tarting it up? Probably
TTAC followed up my vehicular wanderings with this article today and it's pointed yet mostly unopinionated (until you get to the comments).

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/11/2020-jeep-gladiator-sport-s-review-poised-for-urban-life/

Does Bronco "need" to follow suit with an even smaller-market vehicle that isn't great off road, isn't great as a truck, and looks as cumbersome as the Gladiator? I would argue there is no business reason to do so. Covid has cost every manufacturer billions, dumping resources into these low-yield makes doesn't make sense. Ranger is a perfectly capable midsize truck, Maverick is rumored to be close to production for small truck, and Bronco looks to be more than capable of giving the fight to Jeep off-road (not in outright capability, but in that entry/mid-market basis) and with the pencil pushers.
Bronco Pickup profit potential > Ranger pick up profit. At least, that's what the marketing people say. And I agree. If you read Automotive News sales reports, Gladiator sales are very impressive. Get ready for an ICE 4 door Mustang. Charger sales (4dr) exceed Challenger (2dr) sales.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pontiac was about to release the G8 ST ( sport truck), basically a modern el Camino but didn’t survive the recession.
I want Subaru to bring back the Baja
Yep, I agree about the Subie too

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't like the Gladiator, but...Just realized yesterday I cannot get a Big Bend with a manual transsmission AND the mid package... and have to move up to badlands. I will wait until the MY2022 order banks open and hopefully I can order the Bronco I want. I just dont want to be forced into a trim that I don't need for 49.9k... Ford has forced me into the fence and now this manual Taco is staring at me, fully loaded for less than 45k 🤔

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... Screenshot_20210204-123855~2
yeah that’s a nice Tacoma. You know it will have great resale too. You could drive it, until you get the bronco you want.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I concur you don't need a very large (truck or) bed for firewood, a generator, bikes, a deer or two, or that sort of thing. 5' is definitely on the short end but if it fits around the rest of the truck then you work with it.
Sponsored