Sponsored

Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen...

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

yeah that’s a nice Tacoma. You know it will have great resale too. You could drive it, until you get the bronco you want.
I'm actually on the fence about an access cab manual taco for the same reason, plus it can actually tow a small travel trailer.
Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 4 door brute looks exactly like the gladiator. But the gladiator hauls and tows more. Jeep just didn’t give folks a 2 door option. Which they should, because it does look awesome.

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... BBFF4224-0E5E-4A20-BBB6-F777E664F075

Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... F86D333C-0D81-4BF2-9B95-6914829F9C56

Last edited:

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm actually on the fence about an access cab manual taco for the same reason, plus it can actually tow a small travel trailer.
How much does the manual tow? I know the gladiator manual has a pretty low tow rating. My JT tows 7000lbs. That is why I got it. We got a travel trailer for COVID vacations. Lol

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How much does the manual tow? I know the gladiator manual has a pretty low tow rating. My JT tows 7000lbs. That is why I got it. We got a travel trailer for COVID vacations. Lol
AC Tacoma tows 6,500lbs.

I've been looking at getting a Pro with 6,400lbs.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

AC Tacoma tows 6,500lbs.

I've been looking at getting a Pro with 6,400lbs.
Yup the manual Tacos tow much higher than manual Gladiators. One word of warning is that both the AC and the DC only have a 5600lb GVWR so depending on what you're hauling while you tow you can run out of payload on the DC if your trailer is moderate sized. AC has lower curb weight and gives you a bit more breathing room on your payload.

Aaaand now I have The Glow Worm in my head all day. Turn up the AC and the DC!

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yup the manual Tacos tow much higher than manual Gladiators. One word of warning is that both the AC and the DC only have a 5600lb GVWR so depending on what you're hauling while you tow you can run out of payload on the DC if your trailer is moderate sized. AC has lower curb weight and gives you a bit more breathing room on your payload.

Aaaand now I have The Glow Worm in my head all day. Turn up the AC and the DC!
That’s a lot better than the manual gladiator. They used the wrangler manual trans and it wasn’t designed for towing and hauling. They should update that in the future.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Gladiator (with at least 33's) does well off-road due to the width of the vehicle, axles, gearing, articulation on rubicons, and suspension set up. It does not do well climbing rocks due to the departure angle. It tows reasonably well when properly equipped. The back seat has the most interior room of all midsize trucks and the bed is just big enough to get plywood in it. You can buy a Sport S max tow, Popular Equipment Package, add Rubicon takeoff wheels, suspension, steel bumpers, winch, a Diamondback cover, and rack on it and you are set to go do some off-roading in the low to mid 40s. You can of course spend a whole lot more on it if you want. With that said, no-one has mentioned the biggest difference in the two. The Bronco is IFS and the Gladiator is SFA. In the case of the Gladiator the SFA has not been the greatest for highway driving. There has been some wandering and a little rougher ride. I actually prefer the IFS, which is why I continue to wait on the Bronco. I would trade the Bronco for a Bronco truck if towing increase to 6000 lbs and the bed was 5'. If not, there would be enough tow capacity or room for any kind of real cargo in the bed making the point mute.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with your sentiment. My prior post was regarding full size trucks with short beds. It’s a lot of truck to have a short bed. Mid size truck is very different in my opinion and also more suv-like and more drivable. Also the payload is inclusive of passengers so if you’ve got 4 adults in a Tacoma you really only get 750 lbs of payload. Not a common occurrence but again; I was really talking full size trucks.

we all want our vehicles to do everything and we all sacrifice somewhere. I just think short bed full size trucks areaa disproportionate amount of sacrifice for what you get. The gladiator is a 50 inch bed so as far as I’m concerned it’s almost useless for hauling between that and the payload limit. That’s barely half of an 8xX.

Keep in mind payload is everything over a dry empty truck, not just what you can put in the bed in addition to everything else.

You get four guys in the crew cab with a full 40gal tank of gas and you have eaten a lot of your legal payload on anything without 8+ lug wheels.

And a lot of new trucks with short beds don't do themselves any favors by having the rear axle clear to the front of the bed... midsizes are horrible at it.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Keep in mind payload is everything over a dry empty truck, not just what you can put in the bed in addition to everything else.

You get four guys in the crew cab with a full 40gal tank of gas and you have eaten a lot of your legal payload on anything without 8+ lug wheels.

And a lot of new trucks with short beds don't do themselves any favors by having the rear axle clear to the front of the bed... midsizes are horrible at it.
The weight of fluids required for operation of the vehicle is included in curb weight.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The weight of fluids required for operation of the vehicle is included in curb weight.
Oils/coolant yes, fuel no.

Ford has been known to remove consoles and rear bumpers for the official measurement too.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess it is something to pay attention to, I don't think it always does.

Either way my point was you can tie up a lot of your payload rating without putting a thing in the bed.
100% agreed.

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought the gladiator was the answer, one vehicle. Convertible, removable doors, tows 7,000lbs, 4x4, great mileage (diesel),, and a truck. The biggest problems were front straight axle shitty driving, the diesel won’t tow 7,000 lbs, and every lady thinks it’s ugly as hell. The bronco pickup could really be the one vehicle answer.

Klink

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Personal I like the Gladiator. I think Jeep did a fantastic job on the design, (See pic below). I almost bought one but decided to wait for a Bronco. I still may add one to the stable as I'm always finding myself looking for a Home Depot runner. When I was in the market I test drove a Toyota Tacoma and a Gladiator, hands down the Gladiator was the clear winner for me. I currently own a Trd Pro 4Runnner plus Rubicon and enjoy both brands. But the Gladiator had both performance and comfort way ahead of the Tacoma IMO. I've never driven a Ford Ranger but when I'm ready for a small pickup, it will be considered along with the Gladiator. It will be interesting to see if Ford does a Bronco pick up. As far as cool factor I would rather have a Bronco pickup over Ranger, just my humble opinion ?.
2020-custom-jeep-gladiator-rubicon-jt-gobi-pf.jpg
Forget the bed on the
Personal I like the Gladiator. I think Jeep did a fantastic job on the design, (See pic below). I almost bought one but decided to wait for a Bronco. I still may add one to the stable as I'm always finding myself looking for a Home Depot runner. When I was in the market I test drove a Toyota Tacoma and a Gladiator, hands down the Gladiator was the clear winner for me. I currently own a Trd Pro 4Runnner plus Rubicon and enjoy both brands. But the Gladiator had both performance and comfort way ahead of the Tacoma IMO. I've never driven a Ford Ranger but when I'm ready for a small pickup, it will be considered along with the Gladiator. It will be interesting to see if Ford does a Bronco pick up. As far as cool factor I would rather have a Bronco pickup over Ranger, just my humble opinion ?.
Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... F86D333C-0D81-4BF2-9B95-6914829F9C56
Don't need the bed, need that color paint job on the bronco.
Sponsored