Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I never plan to take the roof or doors off as my wife sunburns way too fast for that.
Well then the Bronco maybe isn't the car for you. The removable top is precisely the reason I am buying a Bronco.

Warning, too much info incoming.....

So I am a lifelong, diehard Toyota Land Cruiser fanatic. I am also a licensed retail dealer that has been specializing in TLCs for over 10 years. I have bought and sold hundreds of them through the business. I have personally owned 9 of them, 40s, 60s, 80s, 100s and 200 Series. My wife has driven nothing but LCs since we had our second child, and she loves them, wont drive anything else. (Except maybe a blue Lincoln Aviator, she really likes those.)

But I have wanted a convertible off-roader since I owned the FJ40s years ago. (I never cared for Jeeps, too common and Land Cruisers are just better.). The FJ Cruiser was a very capable and durable vehicle, but with no removable roof, I never had any interest in it whatsoever. Toyota really missed the mark on that truck.

The TLC world has been screaming for a simple, old school Land Cruiser for years. There are literally 4 Jeeps at every intersection in my neck of the woods, and Ive never understood why Toyota is just totally missing out on that HUGE market.

Toyota owned the small truck market with the Tacoma, but now GM brought the Colorado back and Ford brought the Ranger back so Toyota is going to lose a lot of market share there, too.

(I don't know what the hell Toyota is doing. The new Toyota Supra sucks, too. Its just a BMW Z4 with no manual transmission. I do know there are some particular cultural differences between Japan and US that prevent them from really understanding the US market.

Anyway, when I saw the silver, 4 door soft top Sasquatch in the factory, and it looked like a Defender 90, I immediately thought, "They NAILED it! I want one."

So I am selling my triple locked 80 Series TLC that I just finished building in the last year, selling my Excursion, buying a Bronco, selling the business, and plan on going to work for a Ford dealership to sell Broncos (and everything else). Seriously. I think Ford is going to sell a S#!T-ton of them and it will be exciting.

I was kinda planning on getting out of retail anyway, kinda burnt out on running my own business and wanted to get back in a franchise dealership setting anyway, so it all seems to make sense.

The reason I have the Excursion is so I can tow a car hauler for the business, and tow my LCs to Windrock Tennessee to go four wheeling. In case I brake something on the LC, I can tow it back. Now since Im selling the biz and don't plan on hardcore wheeling like before, I will just drive the Bronco wherever I want.

Anyway, maybe too much information, but just wanted to give you some input.

But if the top wasn't removable, I would have no interest in the Bronco. I think Toyota and Lexus make the best SUVS in the world, and I would be totally content to satisfy myself with different models of Land Cruisers for the rest of my life. (With maybe an Aviator or Navigator sprinkled in, those things are just drop-dead gorgeous.)
Sponsored

h2osentinel

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition, Subaru Forester, Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have to assume that a convertible off-road suv probably cost Ford a lot of money to develop. I had always assumed this vehicle was going to cost as much, if not a little more than a Wrangler.
The one concern I have about the next gen 4Runner is the size. They keep making them bigger.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm not sure where the sticker shock is coming from. If people thought Ford was going to get them into a "Rubicon-like" rig for 20k, they were clueless from jump street. Go shop for comparably equipped Wranglers and Ford is right in line.

I think people were just hoping they could "hack" their way to Badlands trim with an optioned BB or BD for a fraction of the price.
"Clueless", hardly, have you seen my analysis spreadsheets?
2021 Bronco pricing & savings spreadsheet (X-Plan vs Invoice and Below Invoice)
Bronco6g Build & Price Planner Spreadsheet

As an engineer, who knows how to make smart decisions with my money, I'll pay up for the want, need or fun factor, when it makes sense to me. But I know how to carefully evaluate the three, that is how I got my house paid-off, only pay cash for my vehicles and have plenty set aside for retirement for when I choose, not when my bills let me. Those that do not understand those priorities, that is when you can use your "clueless" term.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting topic. My son loves 4 Runners, was dead set on buying one (used) so we were looking at them with some regularity recently. I have some experience with them, working on them, back in the day and acquaintances owning them. They were simple, affordable, durable and light. As they have aged, they have gained complexity, weight and cost (like everything else too btw). Still probably the more reliable choice in most cases both small truck and SUV wise. Boring? Yes, very. Under powered too. All that aside, the main thing that keeps me away isn't either of those issues. It's the seating position. I don't want to sit on the floor. I am only 6' and the seating position has been and continues to be ridiculous. I finally convinced my son he should take that into consideration being a bit bigger than me. He bought a clean 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4. Probably the other end of reliability, but much less expensive, impressive power for an 05 and very comfortable. I also can get Toyota at below invoice through family purchase, so that makes Toyota even more tempting.

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You are getting zero tech with the Base model. Can't even upgrade to a mid package.
The inbedded Tech in the Synch 4 on the base is equal or better than the 4Runner. Heck, the Toyota finally added Carplay this past year.

Sponsored

ndumlao72

Base
First Name
Nestor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma & 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm getting a new Bronco decision made period! But I'm still keeping the Tacoma and 4Runner. As someone said before Reliability and Resale Value are their strong points. Example, back when Mercedes and BMW were the only luxury brands a consumer could go to Lexus came on the scene. They built boring looking luxury vehicles but instilled that Toyota reliability and added top tier customer care (i.e. turn in a Lexus for service given a Lexus loaner vehicle), made Mercedes and BMW change their strategy or watch sales go away. Kinda like what the Bronco is doing to Jeep now. Competition is good for the consumer.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

As an engineer, who knows how to make smart decisions with my money, I'll pay up for the want, need or fun factor, when it makes sense to me. But I know how to carefully evaluate the three, that is how I got my house paid-off, only pay cash for my vehicles and have plenty set aside for retirement for when I choose, not when my bills let me. Those that do not understand those priorities, that is when you can use your "clueless" term.
I'm not an engineer, but I'm in the same boat.

I make good choices and pay cash. I also research major purchases like this well beyond what most people do.

I don't care about the removable roof. Would actually prefer that it wasn't. My '94 Wrangler has had the roof off like 3 times in its life. Usually for working on the thing, not for fun.

And anybody that tells me that "maybe the Bronco isn't for you" when I say I won't be doing the Rubicon Trail in it or when I say that the roof will likely never come off...Well...They can eat a bag of dicks. My money. My choice. And on a forum where we discuss the Bronco...You bet your ass I'm going to point out minutiae that bother me. Because that's what forums are for, and that's part of my process. I've got posts just like this one going back more than 20 years on automotive forums all over the internet to prove it LOL

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

That's all great.

To your original point though, seems like you are willing to pay 40-50K range for a vehicle that has some off road capabilites

The part I still don't understand is why you are optioning out the top offroad trim with seemingly every option when a lesser trim loaded up would get you what you want/need?

That to me is like optioning up a F-350 King Ranch Dually with the diesel saying your never going to tow with it and then complaining the price is to high

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The inbedded Tech in the Synch 4 on the base is equal or better than the 4Runner. Heck, the Toyota finally added Carplay this past year.
Thing about Toyota though...You can yank the factory unit out and replace it with a great aftermarket setup for cheap AF. They're modular and NOT INTEGRATED WITH EVERY F'N THING ON THE CAR requiring $1,200 in adapters so all your shit still works.

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really don't think the pricing is out of line at all. I'm wondering when the last time y'all went to a dealership and walked around. Trucks going for over $60K. Run of the mill soccer mom SUVs over $40K. I could go buy a $45K Toyota Tacoma that comes with drum brakes.

The Bronco isn't just another soccer mom SUV. It is a purpose built vehicle that people will be willing to pay for if it delivers what it promises. I haven't owned a Ford in almost 30 years, but I have owned a lot of off road vehicles. I'm willing to gamble the Bronco delivers.
you must be a Public relations guy for FORD. ?

Sponsored

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Poor build quality and lack of reliability has not kept Jeep from selling hundreds of thousands of units every year for many years.

If the Bronco can do no better in the reliability department, it will still sell well enough to more than satisfy the bean counters at Ford.

Having owned several Landcruisers and Lexus LS models I am a lifelong TOYOTA/Lexus customer and fully appreciate the utter reliability of their products. But ownership satisfaction is not only reliability, it is also passion and how your ride makes you feel and what statement it makes about you. The 4Runner's capability is undeniable but it is a reliable appliance. The Bronco is unlikely to be as reliable as a Toyota but it also comes with a boatload of character and charm. I think Ford quality is sufficiently good that the trade off of less than perfect reliability is more than offset by its looks.

If there was news of a resurrection of the original FJ class of Landcruiser, I would be first in line to get my hands on it because then I would be getting the passion in addition to the quality.

Toyota is trying to inject some fun and character into its products and I hope they are able to do that for the upcoming 4Runner.

It is good to have so many desirable choices and I applaud the OP for stating his mind.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thing about Toyota though...You can yank the factory unit out and replace it with a great aftermarket setup for cheap AF. They're modular and NOT INTEGRATED WITH EVERY F'N THING ON THE CAR requiring $1,200 in adapters so all your shit still works.
Not Toyota Land Cruisers. The HVAC is integrated in there.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

you must be a Public relation guy for FORD. ?
No, just someone who knows what vehicles are selling for. Heck, even Chevy sells the Equinox at over $50K and Tahoes at $70K. Spending $45K on a Bronco is nothing.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t get me started on the unreliability of Toyota’s tech

sometimes hands free phone works other times not. Sometimes I can play music through my truck through the phone other times not- and my truck is only 3 yrs old

Haulin455

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Toyota is likely more reliable, but it’s boring. When I think of a car brand that creates fun vehicles I can tell you that Toyota has never been anywhere near the top for me.

Their tech always feels dated to me and their powertrains are underwhelming. The 4Runner is just a more off-road capable SUV to me while the Bronco is a vehicle specifically built for off-road and fun.

A twin turbo V6 will be more fun both off road and on the road than an aging naturally aspirated V6. Not to mention being able to remove the doors and roof is a whole new level of enjoyment.
Sponsored