RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With Toyota's 'Kaizen' mentality, I would not expect major changes to the next generation 4Runner anyways. The company is not known for making heavy handed changes to their models from year to year, it's a series of continuous, low-key changes over the years.
Sponsored

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is hilarious only because I went into Toyota the other day just to test drive a manual Tacoma and see how it felt. I explained to the salesman what I was up to (pre-ordered a Bronco, but wanted to get a feel for a Tacoma) and he continued to talk to me more about my Bronco pre-order than trying to sell me a Toyota. That was the dealerships time to steal me away with some good deal, instead it kind of pushed me away from Toyota. It solidified to me that I need to get this Bronco.

FireSquatch

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
my bronco back up plan is a chevy colorado ZR2 with a duramax diesel. Its got front and rear locker axles, remote start, all the bells as whistles and it only cost mid 30s used. It currently is an easy steal of a deal compared to current potential package pricing

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Admittedly, I was pretty dead set on a Bronco so long as Ford didnā€˜t revive it like Chevy did the Blazer... (see username)

That being said, Iā€™m looking at a 2 door v6 Sasquatch base model at ~$37k, while the 2021 4Runner starts at ~$36k (Both before taxes, accessories, or smaller options). For that price I feel like Iā€™m getting a lot more for my money over the 4Runner (and we all know the 2022 4Runner is going to be more expensive).

Personally, I donā€™t need much luxury or a bunch of tech (see username), and the Sasquatch package and v6 are more about durability than performance for me (the 2.7 is a stout little motor, and the Sasquatch adds an iron front dif), the only tech I wanted was android auto and air conditioning, but with my above build I still get trail control, trail turn, several goat modes, and the one pedal driving (honestly, out of these I will probably only ever use the trail turn and goat modes...)

so for me and my needs, the Bronco makes the most sense, besides that, the 4Runner doesnā€™t come in a 2 door ?

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Another "near" future vehicle is a Ford alternative... the upcoming Ranger Raptor. Possible it will have entry pricing in the $50K range which puts it right there with most all Bronco trims above BD if you want a 4-dr and V6. And it may come with the new 3.0L high-output engine and tow range of say 5,000 lbs.

This is now a real option for me. Biggest drawback is still captive to Ford's terrible drip-drip of information on it like every other new product.

Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While 4runners are amazing vehicles the new one is quite concerning to us toyota techs. Itā€™s to this point of being utterly bullet proof with almost no issues (especially the engine). The new one will most likely get the Tacomaā€™s new v6 which is utter garbage (compared to its old engine). So I donā€™t think waiting for the new 4Runner is really a smart move Iā€™d pick up a current one or find some thing else (like the bronco).

Yeah...If they slap that 3.5 from the Taco in there, I'll be scratching the 4Runner off my shortlist.

I like the current 4.0 as much as I like the 5.7 in my current truck (Tundra). It's not the most efficient. It doesn't have the most power.

But in 130k miles, it's not skipped a single beat, and I'm not hesitating at all about taking it on an 1,800 mile road trip I have to do in a couple of months.

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting observation, locally the Toyota 4Runner SR5 is $45,995.
I can buy a 2 or 4 door Bronco Base with Sasquatch, 2.7TT EB, 10 speed auto for between $38k and 43K.
The Bronco will be more capable off road, have way more power and a much better transmission, and better tech. I will also have a convertible (I understand that is not a selling point for OP with wifeā€™s sensitivity to the sun).
I owned a 4Runner before and loved it but I have way more options for the same or less price with the 6th Gen Bronco.
If you choose one of the top of the line models and select all of the options, yes it will get expensive BUT, The BaseSquatch with 2.7/10speed is a ridiculously capable truckster that is less expensive than any competition with similar capability.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting observation, locally the Toyota 4Runner SR5 is $45,995.
You can get a TRD Off-Road Premium for less than that here. On the right day, 46 grand might even land you in a Pro.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
my bronco back up plan is a chevy colorado ZR2 with a duramax diesel. Its got front and rear locker axles, remote start, all the bells as whistles and it only cost mid 30s used. It currently is an easy steal of a deal compared to current potential package pricing
ZR2 is a fantastic truck. And I'd totally buy one.

That suspension is just pure magic on the road (never been off-road in one, but all reviews say it's great there too) for a truck. It's something to behold.

I loathe the interior so.very.much on them though. I've had like 10 GM trucks and I've been fine...But not the Colorado. If they redesign the inside of those next year, it'll be back on my shortlist LOL

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I say this as a Toyota owner and marrying into a decades-long Toyota family...but let's be honest, Toyota has a premium on their vehicles. Toyota has reached a point to where they can charge a premium for their (admittedly) reliability and resell value. If the Bronco is giving you sticker shock, how does the 4Runner not? The thing starts at $36k ($8k more than a base Bronco) and is on a platform that is over a decade old (a plus for some people). It's not as capable and doesn't provide the same "experience" (modular/open air) that the Bronco offers. And $40k for a Rav4, an Escape competitor? The Bronco Sport tops out at $38k and it's designed from the ground up to be an off roader. The Rav4 is some stickers and shock/strut changes.

Honestly, I whine about package upcharges that Ford does, but they're in business to make a profit, just like FCA and Toyota. The problem is vehicles (new and used) as a whole are getting more expensive for various reasons. I think it's unfair to expect Kia pricing from Ford when they're already a better value, capability-wise, than Toyota.

Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love the mix of Bronco heritage and modern technology the 6th gen Bronco is bringing to market. But after seeing the survey pricing, like many of you, I have started to reevaluate my Bronco purchase, this thread helped to put things into perspective.
Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use
My use will be 95% daily driver and 5% off-the-beaten-track trail riding, which will be the most serious off-roading I will ever do, further, I never plan to take the roof or doors off as my wife sunburns way too fast for that. Based on the survey pricing, which still did not include a number of the options I wanted, along with a bunch of accessories, my Bronco Badlands quickly headed towards $60K.

I'm concerned Ford thinks they can quickly cash-in on the Bronco hype and popularity with proud pricing, like the Jeep. Although unlikely, some Ford market analysis are concerned about a Ford bankruptcy. Is Ford so worried about their financial condition that Ford is going to end up doing what every Wall Street driven company has to do to survive, show immediate quarterly results vs more long term growth prospects? Is Ford trying to get whole all at once with Bronco pricing to alleviate these concerns?

After reading some insightful posts from @Paint and @aabsalon discussing their Bronco Backup Plans (below), I have revisited my backup plans as well, they are:
1) 2022 6th gen 4Runner $TBD
2) 5th gen 4Runner TRD Pro $50K
3) RAV4 TRD Off-Road $40K
4) Bronco Sport Badlands $40K
As you can see, these are all hardtops, which will help to improve the ride quality, when one does not need the removable roof and doors.

While I'm hopeful the Bronco will still work out, here are the posts from the Badlands Bronco Thread that I found insightful.

And last, a few details on the upcoming 6th gen Toyota 4Runner, which will be out in 2022, the same time as some of the 2021 Bronco's will be getting delivered.

You know that for under 50k, you can get a V8 in a 4Runner?

I mean, it's wearing a Lexus badge...But hey.

https://www.carmax.com/car/19353431

Also, 50k will put you in a REALLY nice Land Cruiser.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A year ago I bought a 2019 ranger...It was either that or a 2 door jeep with crank windows and manual door locks. The jeep was about 6k off of msrp and I still couldnt do it. For a couple grand more the ranger had 4 doors, rear locker, fx4 package, all the bells and whistles, etc etc. I had to haggle the ranger down as well. At the end of the day vehicles have gotton really expensive the last 10 years. I think by offering the base bronco ford is catering to those of us wanting to save some cash. The only drawback is that there won't be deals to be had with the bronco for a long long time.

Stroopaloop

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC canyon all terrain
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love the mix of Bronco heritage and modern technology the 6th gen Bronco is bringing to market. But after seeing the survey pricing, like many of you, I have started to reevaluate my Bronco purchase, this thread helped to put things into perspective.
Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use
My use will be 95% daily driver and 5% off-the-beaten-track trail riding, which will be the most serious off-roading I will ever do, further, I never plan to take the roof or doors off as my wife sunburns way too fast for that. Based on the survey pricing, which still did not include a number of the options I wanted, along with a bunch of accessories, my Bronco Badlands quickly headed towards $60K.

I'm concerned Ford thinks they can quickly cash-in on the Bronco hype and popularity with proud pricing, like the Jeep. Although unlikely, some Ford market analysis are concerned about a Ford bankruptcy. Is Ford so worried about their financial condition that Ford is going to end up doing what every Wall Street driven company has to do to survive, show immediate quarterly results vs more long term growth prospects? Is Ford trying to get whole all at once with Bronco pricing to alleviate these concerns?

After reading some insightful posts from @Paint and @aabsalon discussing their Bronco Backup Plans (below), I have revisited my backup plans as well, they are:
1) 2022 6th gen 4Runner $TBD
2) 5th gen 4Runner TRD Pro $50K
3) RAV4 TRD Off-Road $40K
4) Bronco Sport Badlands $40K
As you can see, these are all hardtops, which will help to improve the ride quality, when one does not need the removable roof and doors.

While I'm hopeful the Bronco will still work out, here are the posts from the Badlands Bronco Thread that I found insightful.

And last, a few details on the upcoming 6th gen Toyota 4Runner, which will be out in 2022, the same time as some of the 2021 Bronco's will be getting delivered.
Yes, yes,back out. So move up! Muahaha!!!!??

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can buy a 2 or 4 door Bronco Base with Sasquatch, 2.7TT EB, 10 speed auto for between $38k and 43K.
The Bronco will be more capable off road, have way more power and a much better transmission, and better tech.
You are getting zero tech with the Base model. Can't even upgrade to a mid package.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pricning is only a concern where the Squatch adds an additional $1600 I do not want ....(auto).

So, far a (manual) Black Diamond + Squatch (+$6100) , it is cheaper to get a Badlands and keep the manual and realize that you are getting the entire Squatch suspension PLUS the disco-sway bar and if so desire, wear out the 33's and move on to 35's later.

Man, if they did a manual BaseSquatch, that would be the real value leading rig ....$35k!!! People would still bitch about the cloth though....rightfully so, I suppose. I have no interest in being that stripped down though.
Sponsored