First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've had only Toyota for 30 years. They're stuck on their successes. My tundra is great, but barely fits in the garage and gets 17 mpg on good tanks.! Taco was great, tho rough. Have you sat in one? Horrid and they didn't change it other than a power seat. Position is the problem. Ditto 4 runner. I'll miss the reliability but trading for Fun! Oh, wife has Rav and it's great for what it is :a very efficient driver.
How in the Billy Bob blue waffle FUCK do you get 17 in a Tundra?

I get like...12. And I drive like a grandpa. I got about 1.5 better before I put the 35s on. It got mid 13s stock lol.

Best I ever did was 16 on a road trip.
Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From my research into a new 4Runner, the particular version they used in the 4Runner is pretty bad and won't bring the car to a stop, i.e. doesn't work in stop and go traffic. I don't have direct experience though.

And regarding the person you were quoting, you do need to get one of the premium trims (including TRD Pro or Limited) to get push button start and smart access.
To be fair the radar cruise in a rental Corolla I had was borderline terrifying.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've owned pretty much all brands except a Ford. Toyota has, by far, been the most reliable vehicles I've owned.

I own one now. It's been fantastic for 130k miles.

I'll buy another one.

They are boring. And dead nuts reliable. They just WORK.
Every Ford I've ever had I bought past 150,000 miles and used them for my daily drivers. They regularly see 300,000 miles. Even my dad who went through 2 Flexs and a Expedition in the last 14 years went past 150,000 before trading em in usually because they were getting scratched up from the miles and just wanted a new one. No issues. In my experience Ford hasnt had any real issues since the late 70s. Everything sold in the US was funky then.

Carmaker1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE 4dr (His), '22 Bronco 7MT (Mine)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the mix of Bronco heritage and modern technology the 6th gen Bronco is bringing to market. But after seeing the survey pricing, like many of you, I have started to reevaluate my Bronco purchase, this thread helped to put things into perspective.
Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use
My use will be 95% daily driver and 5% off-the-beaten-track trail riding, which will be the most serious off-roading I will ever do, further, I never plan to take the roof or doors off as my wife sunburns way too fast for that. Based on the survey pricing, which still did not include a number of the options I wanted, along with a bunch of accessories, my Bronco Badlands quickly headed towards $60K.

I'm concerned Ford thinks they can quickly cash-in on the Bronco hype and popularity with proud pricing, like the Jeep. Although unlikely, some Ford market analysis are concerned about a Ford bankruptcy. Is Ford so worried about their financial condition that Ford is going to end up doing what every Wall Street driven company has to do to survive, show immediate quarterly results vs more long term growth prospects? Is Ford trying to get whole all at once with Bronco pricing to alleviate these concerns?

After reading some insightful posts from @Paint and @aabsalon discussing their Bronco Backup Plans (below), I have revisited my backup plans as well, they are:
1) 2022 6th gen 4Runner $TBD
2) 5th gen 4Runner TRD Pro $50K
3) RAV4 TRD Off-Road $40K
4) Bronco Sport Badlands $40K
As you can see, these are all hardtops, which will help to improve the ride quality, when one does not need the removable roof and doors.

While I'm hopeful the Bronco will still work out, here are the posts from the Badlands Bronco Thread that I found insightful.

And last, a few details on the upcoming 6th gen Toyota 4Runner, which will be out in 2022, the same time as some of the 2021 Bronco's will be getting delivered.

Sorry, but that's not entirely accurate, but close. Out of curiosity, I got in touch with some Toyota contacts in Ann Arbor, Atlanta, Plano, and Newport Beach early this year.

I was curious about the model cadence for TNGA-F vehicles, off the record. Land Cruiser is first, which will definitely be launched in less than 9 months.

2021 Land Cruiser ordering ends in January, as replacement 300 is launched in Q2 2021. Not for all world markets.

Tundra arrives in early 2022, due to slight delays. North Amer. Only

Sequoia arrives in Q3 2022 and enters production at TMMTX plant.

2023 4Runner arrives in December 2022, thus it is not a 2022 model.

Just like Bronco case in Q2 2021, model years can be very arbitrary and span long multiyear periods. In 2022 vs for 2022 are two very different things in the automotive world.

I remember one instance where a new vehicle or redesign was officially introduced in 2013 and had November 2013 Job 1, then was released in January 2014 as a 2015 model. By December 2015, it oddly enough got a facelift/refresh for its second model year. They pretty much do what they want in the marketing department.

Anyway, one of those contacts that's a clay modeller in both California and Michigan, had been working on a definitely midsized SUV in January 2020. He believed it to be a competing final proposal for the next gen 4Runner for Calty. If they're barely at that stage in January, you're not going to see this vehicle for at least 2.5 years from that point.

It's also earmarked for Q4 2022/Q1 2023 (COVID delay). It will parallel the high performance Bronco offering, not MY 2022.

Sponsored
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sorry, but that's not entirely accurate, but close. Out of curiosity, I got in touch with some Toyota contacts in Ann Arbor, Atlanta, Plano, and Newport Beach early this year.

I was curious about the model cadence for TNGA-F vehicles, off the record. Land Cruiser is first, which will definitely be launched in less than 9 months.

2021 Land Cruiser ordering ends in January, as replacement 300 is launched in Q2 2021. Not for all world markets.

Tundra arrives in early 2022, due to slight delays. North Amer. Only

Sequoia arrives in Q3 2022 and enters production at TMMTX plant.

2023 4Runner arrives in December 2022, thus it is not a 2022 model.

Just like Bronco case in Q2 2021, model years can be very arbitrary and span long multiyear periods. In 2022 vs for 2022 are two very different things in the automotive world.

I remember one instance where a new vehicle or redesign was officially introduced in 2013 and had November 2013 Job 1, then was released in January 2014 as a 2015 model. By December 2015, it oddly enough got a facelift/refresh for its second model year. They pretty much do what they want in the marketing department.

Anyway, one of those contacts that's a clay modeller in both California and Michigan, had been working on a definitely midsized SUV in January 2020. He believed it to be a competing final proposal for the next gen 4Runner for Calty. If they're barely at that stage in January, you're not going to see this vehicle for at least 2.5 years from that point.

It's also earmarked for Q4 2022/Q1 2023 (COVID delay). It will parallel the high performance Bronco offering, not MY 2022.
Hi @Carmaker1, excellent information, thank you.

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
but as and engineer I tend to make rational, practical decisions, once all the information is in, not emotional decisions.
I haven’t finished reading through this whole thread yet but you have said this multiple times but it doesn’t add up with your conundrum.

Your usage is beach driving and easy dirt trails. The rational and practical decision in that case is to go for a lower trim without a front locker and sway bar disconnect. You don’t even need a rear locker at that point. You are trying to press in a thumb tack with a sledgehammer.

You have said you want the luxury items which you can get at a lower trim than the badlands. If I was you I would be looking at the Outerbanks.

Then you are comparing the tricked out Badlands to a 4runner. The badlands is way out of the league of a 4Runner. It would be more fair to compare a base with lockers. Which would end up costing something like $33k.

It’s your money but you aren’t being as rational and practical with yourself as you think you are.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I haven’t finished reading through this whole thread yet but you have said this multiple times but it doesn’t add up with your conundrum.

You have said you want the luxury items which you can get at a lower trim than the badlands. If I was you I would be looking at the Outerbanks.

It’s your money but you aren’t being as rational and practical with yourself as you think you are.
Like you said, "I haven’t finished reading through this whole thread yet "
I looked at the Outer Banks, after I add the options I want, including the Lux package, it is only $3K less then the Badlands. For that I loose the Front & Rear Locker and the sway bar disconnect.

Could I convince myself the rear locker is enough, maybe. But on the Outer Banks, only the Rear Locker is an option so by the time I pay for that and some decent 17" A/T tires and wheels, to replace the 18" wheels, now I'm back over the price of the Badlands ?‍♂
This thread is not just about me, a number of members have voiced similar views. I simply created the thread to start the conversation.

Ford, please give us a full-up Technology Package and la carte drivetrain options.

Last edited:

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like you said, "I haven’t finished reading through this whole thread yet "

This thread is not just about me, a number of members have voiced similar views. I simply created the thread to start the conversation.

Ford, please give us a full up Technology Package and la carte drivetrain options.
Ok so $43k for 2dr OBX with Lux. What’s the problem? When I was in the market for a truck I couldn’t find a decent used Tacoma for under $36k.

I ended up buying a new Colorado for $27k otd. Sometimes if you are honest with what you need you can come out spending much less than you would have.

I bought a work truck and added my own aftermarket radio with Apple CarPlay and a DVD player and a HDMI plug in case I want to put a PS4 in it. That radio was $400. It would have cost me an extra $5k to go up a trim for that radio.

I added my own fog lights and off-road lights for $50 a light. $200 for 4 cube lights. I cut into my bumper and added my own tow hooks. I saved thousands by not going up a trim and I have a great unique truck because of it.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another thing we can debate ..
I honestly think buying the base and then tricking it out the way a person really wants after market is most likely the best and most financially sound purchase, but for me getting mostly exactly what I want from the factory under warranty and financed the way I want is what works best for me. After I take it off the lot my history tells me other than routine maintenance I won’t put a lot of after market stuff on my ride, I just won’t do it , I will move up a few trims and squatch it and get what I want so I won’t be budgeting or worrying about damn why didn’t I do that initially..
Just some random thoughts..

Sponsored

Ddtcm81

Big Bend
First Name
Tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I need a vehicle to navigate irregular mountain forest service roads for bird hunting, and to get around town during the snowy winter months. My current Jeep Renegade is a perfect fit, but its time to rotate out of it. I'm limited to the Big 3 automakers, as anything else is 90 minutes away.

I'm not on a tight budget...I can either go functional, maybe get another Renegade - or spoil myself with something that knocks my socks off. Bronco has a coupl'a dings against it: the 2-door looks a tad thick to my eye...and the color options are no where near the X-ring.

I'll likely get a Black Diamond if the interior isn't black as a coal mine, and I'm not stuck with that grey top.
Hunting grouse is western NC by chance?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Gotta also think, does everyone who gets a raptor use it to its full potential? Sometimes it’s nice to have nicer things and if the package you want comes with something you won’t use necessarily, does that make you not want your package ?
No a lot of raptors just cruise the suburbs lol, but alot of those people also just have the money to spend and don't care lol.

depends on the package but for the most part I would say no I would not want that package anymore.

Example, before I found out about baby #2 on the way I was day dreaming of getting back into a Mustang. The performance pack allows some very nice looking wheel options that are only available in the PP. I was not gonna get the PP just to get the wheels I thought looked the best, since the upgrades in the PP were mostly handling related and all I care about is straight line(had some goodies tied to that). And even if I did get into the twistys, the base GT would be more then enough for me based on my skill level.

Or a bronco related example, I hate cloth seats. Yet the two trims I am looking at Big Bend and Outer Banks have cloth standard. The Black Diamond is slotted right in between them both has the vinyl which would be a huge win for me. One would think that would be the perfect choice for me, because I can still get the mid package and auto(my must haves) I am not considering that trim at all, because I don't need the off road features that the model offers and personally no offense to anyone I think the black steel wheels are hideous. So I will either get the BB and add aftermarket leather or see if I can squeeze leather into my budget for the OBX.

Last edited:

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
personally no offense to anyone I think the black steel wheels are hideous.
100 times better looking than the silver steelies. Now THOSE are hideous.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
100 times better looking than the silver steelies. Now THOSE are hideous.
Yeah but to me its just putting lipstick on a pig lol. I understand their purpose, but no thanks lol