Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Did I say all? Obviously some have gotten good tops. If the posts on here for builds of MIC from mid June to now are any indication though, it's not near as many as you seem to be claiming. Maybe those of us still stuck in production are just the vocal minority.

Glad to hear yours has made it out of parking lot jail though!
Doubt we will ever find out how many of the ones held up had bad tops either, be crazy if it was most all of them....
Sponsored

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Did I say all? Obviously some have gotten good tops. If the posts on here for builds of MIC from mid June to now are any indication though, it's not near as many as you seem to be claiming. Maybe those of us still stuck in production are just the vocal minority.

Glad to hear yours has made it out of parking lot jail though!
yeah, held up from 28th to July12th, That is why my theory of the oldest ones built will be last ones shipped comes from figuring they were buried furthest back in the holding pen. last I heard it was in Chicago

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the relevant thing to remember is that even some MIC tops that passed Ford inspection, dealer prep, and owner inspection are showing significant deterioration within 3 - 4 weeks of delivery. We just don't know how many.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If these couple customers haven’t already reached out to their dealer, we’ll happily help them with their dealer for any warranty-related service
Does anyone know the specific warranty language as it relates to the MIC top? What would trigger a covered claim?

ckelly14

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, I have a July 19 production week build according to a May email from Ford. 4D outer banks with soft top. No update on the tracking site. Should I hear something either way (built or delayed) soon?

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the specific warranty language as it relates to the MIC top? What would trigger a covered claim?
You go to dealer with an issue, they verify the concern and that it's a defect, not characteristic, dealer performs required prior approval/digital imaging, dealer orders parts, parts eventually show up late '22, dealer schedules and performs repair. You pick up vehicle and everyone is happy, sort of. Ford initially pays warranty claim then two weeks later charges dealer back for the entire claim because dealer didn't replace a one time use clip or fastener. Ford's happy they got out of paying a $3,000 claim. True story.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You go to dealer with an issue, they verify the concern and that it's a defect, not characteristic
I hear what you're saying. One MIC quote from 'the drummer'...."raw edges fading to light gray / white with small cavities visible from obvious material loss". He seems to be talking about the non-rounded, unsealed (seemingly) edges. From the few customer comments I've read this seems to be the rule, rather than the exception.

(1) do you view this as a 'defect'?

(2) are you aware of a product that would effectively seal these 'raw' edges?

With today's complicated plastics, its not easy to waltz into Home Depot & pick out a compatible sealer. Here's a quote from Webasto's site on MIC composition: "Polyurethane composites consist of paper honeycombs which are covered by a mixture of polyurethane and reinforcing fibers. Thanks to its particular stability, the composite material is ideal for body shell parts of more than two square meters in size. The exterior surfaces are covered by a grained, thermoformed, weatherproof film, and the inside surfaces are flocked to match the vehicle's interior design.”

Appreciate your thoughts.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hear what you're saying. One MIC quote from 'the drummer'...."raw edges fading to light gray / white with small cavities visible from obvious material loss". He seems to be talking about the non-rounded, unsealed (seemingly) edges. From the few customer comments I've read this seems to be the rule, rather than the exception.

With today's complicated plastics, its not easy to waltz into Home Depot & pick out a compatible sealer. Here's a quote from Webasto's site on MIC composition: "Polyurethane composites consist of paper honeycombs which are covered by a mixture of polyurethane and reinforcing fibers. Thanks to its particular stability, the composite material is ideal for body shell parts of more than two square meters in size. The exterior surfaces are covered by a grained, thermoformed, weatherproof film, and the inside surfaces are flocked to match the vehicle's interior design.”

We see complaints that Ford considers a "normal characteristic" if we can duplicate/verify the same thing on a new or like unit. Shift concerns, fuel economy, leather seat cover wrinkling/wear and other minor stuff there isn't a fix for. Ford gives us a list of "job aids" for metal, trim, glass, lights and other components that has pictures to help us determine if a concern is considered warrantable by Ford. Condensation in headlights is a good example. One would assume any moisture in there = a defect, but not so fast. According to the job aid a film, fog, mist isn't abnormal but droplets and pooling is. Not a fun conversation to have when we say it's "normal".

They will probably come out with a TSB/SSM or some type of warranty extension with examples of defects and normal conditions. We will have to follow their repair plan or risk chargeback. The latitude they gave us years ago on judgement calls has really been chiseled away at.

Not sure what to seal it with beside some type of Fusor product. Tape everything off and use a little brush or spreader. Stuff is two part so once it kicks you better have it applied or you'll go through mixing tips.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
follow their repair plan
Thanks...I'm less concerned about cost....more about maintaining MIC top integrity. Are you able to ping Dearborn & ask for a product recommendation on sealing those open edges? Thanks

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

57.99 retail price at O'Reilly Auto Parts, carried in most warehouses!
Plus the gun and more tips.
ETA: I would not touch your tops until Ford comes out with something to address this. Not saying they would deny the claim but would give them an avenue to claim it was modified. Digital imaging people are contractors to Ford and look for any reason to deny a claim.

Tkekich

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Keep up the good work!! According to Ford customer service, I began build today at 11:10. Haven’t heard anything or been able to pull up a window sticker, so I guess I’ll believe it when I see it!
just out of curiosity, do you know the number to customer service? I'm sure this question has been asked and I'm assuming there are multiple answers...Thank you for your time.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Plus the gun and more tips.
ETA: I would not touch your tops until Ford comes out with something to address this. Not saying they would deny the claim but would give them an avenue to claim it was modified. Digital imaging people are contractors to Ford and look for any reason to deny a claim.
Yeah I saw an SEM product and had to look it up in my catalog. Good company, been using their interior paint on my 1986 model Bronco.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Paper honeycombs is one reason I would not want water getting inside the hardtop structure via unsealed or delaminated edges. Any water that manages to find it's way to the paper could spell trouble over time. The idea of the design sounds worthwhile, but hopefully the execution and durability is there for the longer haul.
Sponsored