Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m torn. I was not going to change my MIC order because I live in MN and a soft top probably won’t cut it. Not to mention I think the stock soft top looks terrible. But on the other hand, I don’t want a roof that is just going to fall apart either. I’m not in dire need of a new vehicle; my explorer is fine. I have wanted the Bronco since I heard they were coming back, and seeing the new design sealed it. I made my reservation on 7/14. I was really hoping to be in it by now. So now I’m torn between switching to soft top and hoping the aftermarket comes up with a better solution or waiting and hoping Webasto can figure out the hard top. I was going to eventually get a soft top for summer anyway, but I liked the Twill fastback version better than the stock one.
I highly doubt the aftermarket going to start making tops that will cost thousands of dollars to a limited market before knowing if Ford abandons hard tops, Ford might abandon this hard top, but wont abandon doing one at all. you have a 3 year 36k mile warranty and if these have serious issues ford will have to extend the warranty on tops. Don't rush and make a bad decision.
Sponsored

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So what is the fix if ford knows the webasto tops are no good. Do they have to get a new top maker or is it they just need a new design with different material.
I bet it would be a new design, but that would take a long time to get designed and tooled up... Got to think that Webasto makes most all if not all of the hard tops on other vehicles and what company could not only do it but have the production capacity to make up for this in even 18 months?

Probably be faster to tool up mod tops and eat the cost of them.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Why deliver a crap roof to customers and allow soft tops on all models with hardtops delivered and installed later?
Seems these tops are going to allow water in, cracking and when winter hits these tops will fall off like prom dresses!

Solution would every Bronco gets delivered with a soft top (with sagging rear side windows) with a hard top sent to dealers later for install.

On my ordered but yet built First Edition we've already been dropped from the MOD roof to MIC roof, why not toss in a soft top to make this right?
You might want to read the whole Thread. PD has already posted this.

Deuce

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I highly doubt the aftermarket going to start making tops that will cost thousands of dollars to a limited market before knowing if Ford abandons hard tops, Ford might abandon this hard top, but wont abandon doing one at all. you have a 3 year 36k mile warranty and if these have serious issues ford will have to extend the warranty on tops. Don't rush and make a bad decision.
Thanks, probably good advice. Being patient sucks sometimes.

Sponsored

mikehart13

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2dr Badlands ordered and I too would prefer the Bestop soft top over the MIC. Keep the hardtop and replace with a soft top.

Permaxyz

Black Diamond
First Name
Rouge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Enough about bad roofs, late scheduling, and multi-week gate holds to check the roof panels, okay? The fine men and women of MAP are ramping up at an exciting pace to get as many of your builds out the door as possible.

The current pace of production is seeing nearly 900 units daily roll off of final assembly as we sit just 2 weeks away from "full blend" line speed. That 900 figure is split between Bronco and Ranger, currently running about a 60/40 split. Bronco's body shop has been pushing out as many as 300 rigs per shift, as they are running ahead of final a bit on speed. Units are only going to paint when there is room for them on final after, so there will be some ebb and flow here.

We've all been let down by the issues surrounding the MIC tops - my own included - and I have to believe that there is a fix in the works. All I can say for certain is that issues are being documented thoroughly and I expect some customer-facing movement on this soon.

As you've seen, production mix for the coming months is shifting outside of demand for hard tops (and all 2 door units). There was optimism in the last 6 weeks when output at the Plymouth plant ticked up a bit, but the multiple issues with delivered roof units has popped that balloon quite quickly. I can't say for sure what the final mix will be, but dealers are being asked to program retail stock builds (all 4 door soft tops, mostly base and Big Bend trims) so that MAP has a pool of backup builds in case they run out of buildable units. They will NOT build appreciable stock units IF there are buildable customer units in the queue. It's just a matter of what they're able to build.

IF you're lucky enough to get a hard top Bronco delivered, document the heck out of your roof at delivery. Take pictures of the entire inside and outside in detail. Note any inconsistencies - however small - so the dealer has record of it for when a solution becomes available.

The more I hear from my folks and spend time watching how my roof is reacting to everyday use, it's becoming sadly apparent that the design might only work if manufacturing were 100% perfect.. and even then it's iffy. Specifically, the raw edges where all 3 layers are cross-sectioned is just begging for material loss from the core (mine has happened in a pretty dramatic fashion in the last 3 weeks), leaving little cavities where water can accumulate and cause havoc when the weather shifts.

Annoying roof issues aside - that I'm confident Ford will address - these rigs are sweet. They're fun an engaging to drive, they're comfortable to live with, they do what you ask them to without any protest, and they catch the eye of everyone around you.

Q&A:

With all that I've been told (much of which I've shared with you, but certainly not all), the part is very difficult to manufacture under ideal conditions, and some of the final design designs - notably the raw exposed cut edges - are questionable.

That Webasto is an absolute dumpster fire (and that's insulting to campus parties down the street at THE Ohio State University) just took a small issue and turned it nuclear.
Enough about bad roofs, late scheduling, and multi-week gate holds to check the roof panels, okay? The fine men and women of MAP are ramping up at an exciting pace to get as many of your builds out the door as possible.

The current pace of production is seeing nearly 900 units daily roll off of final assembly as we sit just 2 weeks away from "full blend" line speed. That 900 figure is split between Bronco and Ranger, currently running about a 60/40 split. Bronco's body shop has been pushing out as many as 300 rigs per shift, as they are running ahead of final a bit on speed. Units are only going to paint when there is room for them on final after, so there will be some ebb and flow here.

We've all been let down by the issues surrounding the MIC tops - my own included - and I have to believe that there is a fix in the works. All I can say for certain is that issues are being documented thoroughly and I expect some customer-facing movement on this soon.

As you've seen, production mix for the coming months is shifting outside of demand for hard tops (and all 2 door units). There was optimism in the last 6 weeks when output at the Plymouth plant ticked up a bit, but the multiple issues with delivered roof units has popped that balloon quite quickly. I can't say for sure what the final mix will be, but dealers are being asked to program retail stock builds (all 4 door soft tops, mostly base and Big Bend trims) so that MAP has a pool of backup builds in case they run out of buildable units. They will NOT build appreciable stock units IF there are buildable customer units in the queue. It's just a matter of what they're able to build.

IF you're lucky enough to get a hard top Bronco delivered, document the heck out of your roof at delivery. Take pictures of the entire inside and outside in detail. Note any inconsistencies - however small - so the dealer has record of it for when a solution becomes available.

The more I hear from my folks and spend time watching how my roof is reacting to everyday use, it's becoming sadly apparent that the design might only work if manufacturing were 100% perfect.. and even then it's iffy. Specifically, the raw edges where all 3 layers are cross-sectioned is just begging for material loss from the core (mine has happened in a pretty dramatic fashion in the last 3 weeks), leaving little cavities where water can accumulate and cause havoc when the weather shifts.

Annoying roof issues aside - that I'm confident Ford will address - these rigs are sweet. They're fun an engaging to drive, they're comfortable to live with, they do what you ask them to without any protest, and they catch the eye of everyone around you.

Q&A:

With all that I've been told (much of which I've shared with you, but certainly not all), the part is very difficult to manufacture under ideal conditions, and some of the final design designs - notably the raw exposed cut edges - are questionable.

That Webasto is an absolute dumpster fire (and that's insulting to campus parties down the street at THE Ohio State University) just took a small issue and turned it nuclear.
What about those that have been built but not delivered yet?

TeamWalsh317

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 dodge ram 1500 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you know if they will favor producing more 2 door MIC tops in the capacity that they do have since that is our only option or are 2 door builds simply getting pushed back until the issues can be resolved?

Also we are so lucky to have you as a forum member! Thanks for everything you do and all the tedious questions you answer!
My 2 door is in production right now.
2 door base VB
2.3L manual trans
7/14 reservation
1/23 order.
Hope to have it soon!

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bet it would be a new design, but that would take a long time to get designed and tooled up... Got to think that Webasto makes most all if not all of the hard tops on other vehicles and what company could not only do it but have the production capacity to make up for this in even 18 months?

Probably be faster to tool up mod tops and eat the cost of them.
They should just give us all modular tops for free if the material is different and better. I’m torn I want my bronco but I don’t want a shit top that’s going to give me nothing but problems. I really hope ford figures something out before my bronco gets built

hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Two background questions to help determine the options Ford has at this point.

1. Who designed the MIC (non-modular) top?

2. Who owns the IP for the design?

Sponsored
OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Two background questions to help determine the options Ford has at this point.

1. Who designed the MIC (non-modular) top?

2. Who owns the IP for the design?
1. Ford

2. Ford (and they own the tooling)

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Q&A:

Thanks for the updates. My biggest concern is shipping. Living in Hawaii if I go with the soft top and try to get a MIC later then I will get crushed by shipping. If I go with MIC I not only have to wait forever, but it may come damaged which leaves me to wait on a new MIC? or dealers will be able to repair the MIC issues on site?

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@PREMiERdrum Can you shed light on the last week of June Blend Dates that have been “In Production” for a month? Are these built units simply awaiting decent tops as we are all assuming, or is it shipping overload? I appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks a ton for what you’ve already provided.

Unit91

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about those that have been built but not delivered yet?
I messaged my salesman today and made mention that I'd take a soft top if they're willing to swap post production. Mines been sitting for weeks.
Sponsored