Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting article: https://automotivemap.com/ford-bronco-baja-breakdown-2019-2641499940.html

It really highlights that they didn't have much testing time for this thing and were troubleshooting issues right up to the deadline. Hopefully they can sort it out for next time. This part made me chuckle:
Nearly one hundred miles in, I was impressed with the Bronco R, but noted that the team spent the last 40 minutes of the drive frequently instructing me to push an override switch control, as an ominous red warning light illuminated the dark.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hopefully they can sort it out for next time.
Great article & appreciate you finding/posting. So....November 2020....sounds as if they'll definitely be back. Would you expect them to run a production-Bronco?....or another one-off?

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great article & appreciate you finding/posting. So....November 2020....sounds as if they'll definitely be back. Would you expect them to run a production-Bronco?....or another one-off?
I would personally expect them to continue to develop the R at least for another year. They really need to go back with an improved version of the same vehicle to make up for this year. Maybe they'll run some other Baja events other than the 1000 as well.

Perhaps after the Bronco is released we could see a production one at Baja 2021? That'll depend a lot on what its specs actually end up being.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... I’m on the BlueOvalForums too and I saw you got roasted for your SFA remarks there as well. ...
The only one I remember is the one I was trying to pressure information about the roof / rear door in using the wording of the UAW documents and a bunch of people utterly missed the point .. even though just a couple posts earlier I said IDGAF.

Trolling more information out of Ford wasn't going to work if no one else understood why I kept saying it.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Damn that’s sad to read. Would’ve loved for this thing to have knocked it out of the park.
Yea, but with less than 55% even finishing, tough task to compete realistically with a year one vehicle.

"When the course closed at 11:27:28 p.m. PT on Sunday, there were 145 official finishers for a 54.92 finishing percentage, especially good considering the difficulty of the race course."

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They really need to go back with an improved version of the same vehicle to make up for this year.
I'm not sure this is the way to build a stronger "R":

Ford is making car parts—with waste from McDonald’s coffee beans

Coffee chaff, the husk of the bean that comes off during roasting, usually gets turned into garden mulch or charcoal — or thrown away. But McDonald’s and Ford are taking a different approach. Ford is planning to use a chaff composite for interior car components and under the hood. As a result, the car parts will be 20% lighter — better for fuel efficiency — and provide the company with up to 25% energy savings during the molding of the parts.

The first auto component to be produced using the chaff will be headlamp housings. With help from Competitive Green Technologies, which processes the coffee chaff for Ford, and the automaker’s supplier Varroc Lighting Systems, the headlamp housings will go into production by the end of the year for the Lincoln Continental. Each headlight housing uses chaffs from about 300,000 beans. They are also more durable because the chaff composite can withstand heat better, according to Debbie Mielewski, senior technical leader of Ford’s sustainability and emerging materials research team. “They must have a lot of ketchup discards — tomato skins and peels and seeds,” Mielewski said in an interview.

“What about their French fry potato peels? We’re convinced we can probably do some chemistry and make something out of those as well.”

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So the only parts that are production-like are the chassis and engine. Sounds about right.
Referring to it as a Raptor lends more credibility to my theory that the Bronco R is actually a Ranger Raptor with a Bronco shell on it...
Sorry if this was discussed already. Would clear up a lot of things about articles mentioning "stock drivetrain", and
how it was so wide (and too long). The upside would be that the Bronc is getting an F150 drivetrain..........

Post 1400

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285326&page=94

"I saw the race R Bronco in person 3 days before the1000 at my buddies shop. It's nothing bronco. It's not a ranger frame like they told everyone at sema. A 4x4 f150 2.7 v6 chassis went to Geiser Bros and they bolted on a f150 long travel kit and built the rest. Other than the basic shape, I highly doubt it resembles anything Ford will make.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4_tCGXB...d=y85av3z1nkzw

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4_gJyOh...=1h3e75dm5mbnd"

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I saw the race R Bronco in person 3 days before the 1000 at my buddies shop. It's nothing bronco. It's not a ranger frame like they told everyone at sema. A 4x4 f150 2.7 v6 chassis went to Geiser Bros and they bolted on a f150 long travel kit and built the rest. Other than the basic shape, I highly doubt it resembles anything Ford will make.
This might be a dumb question. Understand how the 2.7 would be easy enough to identify. But regarding their ID on the frame....since the "new" bronco/ranger frame isn't out yet, would they be a good judge of which platform the "R" was on???

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean you can pretty much just look at the frame rails and tell... they are basically a few inches bigger than the spare tire. So let's be generous and say the distance between the frame rails is 45''... that is exactly the distance that a Wrangler's frame rails are apart. I for the life of me can't find the same info for the F-150 or ranger but if the Wrangler frame would work dimension wise there should be no problem with the T6.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"I saw the race R Bronco in person 3 days before the1000 at my buddies shop. It's nothing bronco. It's not a ranger frame like they told everyone at sema. A 4x4 f150 2.7 v6 chassis went to Geiser Bros and they bolted on a f150 long travel kit and built the rest. Other than the basic shape, I highly doubt it resembles anything Ford will make.
There was an article out of one of the Australian outlets that implied the next get midsize and half-ton were going to be built on the same modular truck platform. The bodies are only marginally different in size, and this seems like a boon for the midsize vehicles in terms of structural strength. Sounds fine to me.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This might be a dumb question. Understand how the 2.7 would be easy enough to identify. But regarding their ID on the frame....since the "new" bronco/ranger frame isn't out yet, would they be a good judge of which platform the "R" was on???
Who knows, but if a full length frame/drivetrain showed up and they cut out the middle, that could
be one way. Also could make sense for timeframe we were told this needed to come together in.

I mean you can pretty much just look at the frame rails and tell... they are basically a few inches bigger than the spare tire. So let's be generous and say the distance between the frame rails is 45''... that is exactly the distance that a Wrangler's frame rails are apart. I for the life of me can't find the same info for the F-150 or ranger but if the Wrangler frame would work dimension wise there should be no problem with the T6.
Sounds about right for middle of JL frame, although rear section is 37".

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/jl-frame-body-openings-and-gap-flush-dimensions/

2015 looks like 34ish front, 37ish rear (hard to read) on 145" WB (couldn't find 2018,
but looks a decent amount different comparing pics below)

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/frame-dimension-specifications-334328/

There was an article out of one of the Australian outlets that implied the next get midsize and half-ton were going to be built on the same modular truck platform. The bodies are only marginally different in size, and this seems like a boon for the midsize vehicles in terms of structural strength. Sounds fine to me.
Could make sense and satisfy both claims. If new Bronco frame is going to be beefed up and very close to F150 frame, both could be true if they started with F150 frame, cut out the middle and now more or less call it a T6. The reason I like it is a 5.0 fits in the F150 frame.........

Bunch of pics I created for fun.

2018%20f150%20frame.jpg

2018%20f150%20frame2.jpg

frame5.jpg

frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame4.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: