First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thought the assessment was Bronco R was running the 2.7EB...wouldn't that be inconsistent with anything under a Raptor hood?
Under a 150 Raptor hood... Yes

Under a new Bronco/Ranger Raptor hood... who knows.

Just seems odd that "Raptor" was used anywhere in their official reply.

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
At least they gave us something to theorize...

Perhaps part of their plan?

Who knows!

Sponsored

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Referring to it as a Raptor lends more credibility to my theory that the Bronco R is actually a Ranger Raptor with a Bronco shell on it...
Since the Bronco will supposedly be a Bronco shell built on the Ranger chassis, wouldn’t that make it a Bronco Raptor?
They also said originally that the R was based off the production Bronco, they never said it was based on a production Ranger.
Trying to read between the lines but unfortunately that’s all we can do.

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the Bronco is just a body plopped on top of a Ranger chassis, I will be sorely disappointed. Remember that the Troller is based on the current Ranger platform, yet is significantly different from the Ranger (solid front axle).
I really don't have a dog in this fight... and I have stayed out of this debate purposely. At least until I click the post reply button... and I hope I don't get flamed for my take on it. After all… it's only my opinion and it doesn't count for much. My wife will even verify that...

What I hang my hat on is the fact that what you desire in the Bronco is something that they already have. It sits on a shelf right next to maybe a V8 and a diesel option ready to be integrated . This is frustrating folks to the point of total disappointment... I totally get it. But...

A. Wearing my Ford decision maker hat... Focus on rolling over 80% of the competition Year 1. Year 2 and beyond... Refine and begin integration to address the 20% we didn't put a boot up their ass year 1.

B. Wearing my blue oval Bronco guy hat... Buy a new Bronco... make it my own and be happy with it and it's capabilities/limitations. Or... source parts... clean the shop... put it up on stands and do for myself what Ford wouldn't/couldn't sell me.

C. Wearing my personal hat (which is blue and says both Bronco and Ranger on it)... Wait a model year maybe two... see what becomes available... make an educated purchase... make it my own and enjoy it. Then follow the Ranger in the same excitement as I have for the Bronco. I might just have one of those too...

D. Wearing any hat that isn't B or C... Keep looking in an optimistic way until you find the vehicle that checks all the right boxes for your personal needs.

I'm not convinced that what you want won't be available at some point. The technology is there... plant integration could happen... it doesn't seem to me that it is out of the relam of possibilites.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Since the Bronco will supposedly be a Bronco shell built on the Ranger chassis, wouldn’t that make it a Bronco Raptor?
They also said originally that the R was based off the production Bronco, they never said it was based on a production Ranger.
Trying to read between the lines but unfortunately that’s all we can do.
I'm not certain if Ford has officially announced a Ranger Raptor, have they? There can't be a Ranger Raptor if there's no Ranger to begin with. If Bronco is "available in 2020" and a new NA-market Ranger isn't anticipated until 2023, how can the Bronco be built on a Ranger chassis? I know it's semantics, but there is no Bronco or Ranger chassis - it's a platform upon which (at least) a couple different trucks can be built. Maybe the Bronco R's chassis and powertrain form the basis for a midsize pickup shell "coming in 2023", to be available with a performance package called "Raptor". That's the way I like to look at it. :giggle:

But I get your point - if the base platform can be built as a future Ranger Raptor, it's probably not impossible to have the same feature set on Bronco. And I hope that feature set is available, as well as other focused packages that target different applications and activities.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wait a model year maybe two... see what becomes available
Like the old proverb “All Things Come to Those Who Wait”, I expect Gump is correct. But to help you guys out, I'm a Day 1 buyer - just to get the momentum rolling so you'll have many future model years to shop. I want to get one before it gets crapped up with more yet-to-be-invented tech wizardry.

All I need is a hard top (I'm in a virtual rain forest), IFS, and the 2.7...of all the wish-list things I keep reading about, I'm surprised the contrasting top color isn't mentioned more...that might'a been the FJ Cruiser's best attribute.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like the old proverb “All Things Come to Those Who Wait”, I expect Gump is correct. But to help you guys out, I'm a Day 1 buyer - just to get the momentum rolling so you'll have many future model years to shop. I want to get one before it gets crapped up with more yet-to-be-invented tech wizardry.

All I need is a hard top (I'm in a virtual rain forest), IFS, and the 2.7...of all the wish-list things I keep reading about, I'm surprised the contrasting top color isn't mentioned more...that might'a been the FJ Cruiser's best attribute.
I think partly because things like exterior colors, especially flatter than factory gloss like on a top cap, are pretty easy and cheap to do now with wraps. If it is monotone, I'd probably just wrap the cap in a white or black.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
"The Bronco R prototype's stock engine and drivetrain performed like champs...wondering what that engine is. Frankly, so am I... The obvious choice is the 3.5-liter high output EcoBoost V6"
There's been a couple of people who have identified it as the 2.7 from the shots in through the fender wells based on some stampings and the oil filter location I believe.
Sponsored