Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
cracked up reading this ….. :shock:

By race mile 495 the passenger-side lower control arm, spindle and CV joint had given up the ghost. Again, it was the Steele's Desert Assassins chase crew to the rescue, replacing what could be replaced and welding everything that couldn't. When the Bronco R took off two hours later with Rod Hall's granddaughter and experienced off-road racer Shelby Hall behind the wheel, it had a new CV and axle, new tie rods and uniballs with welded up A-arms and freshly bled brakes. Mind you, all that happened in about two hours in the middle of the course in the soft sand outside of San Felipe. Think of that the next time your dealer tells you it will be six hours for an oil change.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

By race mile 495 the passenger-side lower control arm, spindle and CV joint had given up the ghost. Again, it was the Steele's Desert Assassins chase crew to the rescue, replacing what could be replaced and welding everything that couldn't. When the Bronco R took off two hours later ....
More detail than we had before. That front end got busted up pretty badly.

Too bad it wasn't paired with a sweet race built SFA like the rear one with double trusses.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it could be the 3.0 instead of the 2.7
Chrispy keeps saying Bronco's gonna knock our socks off... the 2020 Ford Explorer ST also features a 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 engine, though it’s been enhanced by the Ford Performance Team to offer a horsepower rating of 400 and a torque rating of 415 pound-feet…top speed of 143 mph

I thought it odd there was no mention of Bronco R being hit by another vehicle...I also thought there might'a been a few cues from Ford PR in both the headline & article

Sponsored

DaBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a hard time believing that if this rig had a SFA setup, if it would be able to cleanly and easily go through these ruts. Those are deep as hell.

Having the IFS allowed it to maintain the fastest line. If it had a SFA, the R may have had to take different angles where ruts were very prominent, such as the corner in this video.

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed DaBoss… you can even hear it bottom out coming into the turn.

I watched that video a few times... I forgot just how close they run past peoples houses. I also noted the sound of the exhaust... it come out of the turn and it just motored on by. No dropping a gear and getting into the power band. Damn thing didn't sound like it had even broken a sweat yet. But I like lower end torque.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a hard time believing that if this rig had a SFA setup, if it would be able to cleanly and easily go through these ruts. Those are deep as hell.

Having the IFS allowed it to maintain the fastest line. If it had a SFA, the R may have had to take different angles where ruts were very prominent, such as the corner in this video.
Slower in the deep, rutted corners - screw that! We'll take the DNF instead.

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
could a SFA survive that beating ? :frown:

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IFS and SFA vehicles are certainly both capable of surviving the Baja. The IFS ones are obviously faster, but I don't think that surprises anyone and we have a whole thread to talk about those pros and cons.

Unfortunately the Bronco R's prototype bits didn't hold up this time. We'll see what they come back with if/when they go for it again.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Another article with a little bit on the R.
Hilarious: "myriad of apparently non-production parts and silly mistakes like too light of a skid plate (they had to fabricate on in the field using a nearby stop sign) forced the team to quit and head back to Ensenada."

High marks for creativity!!

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some clips I found...

Boot at 10min then Bronco after