First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let’s look at the “poser market” from a different perspective. The prevalent paradigm on this forum presumes:

A. Driving over large rocks – in a vehicle specifically designed for that task – is a significant life accomplishment. And

B. Most people are still stuck in the high school mentality of needing to win the approval of others.

Guys, let’s put things in perspective here. Do you imagine the brand of vehicle you drive will be mentioned in your obituary? Is ‘posing’ really an enhancement to one’s self-image? Does it really matter what the guy next to you at the red light thinks?

Bronco will be what it will be. Buy one or move on to something else. But quit assuming that Bronco buyers who don’t take pictures of their vehicle axles at weird angles are second class citizens.
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let’s look at the “poser market” from a different perspective. The prevalent paradigm on this forum presumes:

A. Driving over large rocks – in a vehicle specifically designed for that task – is a significant life accomplishment. And

B. Most people are still stuck in the high school mentality of needing to win the approval of others.

Guys, let’s put things in perspective here. Do you imagine the brand of vehicle you drive will be mentioned in your obituary? Is ‘posing’ really an enhancement to one’s self-image? Does it really matter what the guy next to you at the red light thinks?

Bronco will be what it will be. Buy one or move on to something else. But quit assuming that Bronco buyers who don’t take pictures of their vehicle axles at weird angles are second class citizens.
IF THE BRONCO CANT DO THIS I DONT WANT IT :angry::angry::crazy:
B14824E5-B62B-440C-A37A-9F0E029B3EEB.png

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I certainly hope nobody is actually assuming any performance vehicle can do everything shown in its marketing repeatably and reliably in stock form...*looks at complaints about bent Raptor frames from people taking them off huge jumps*...though maybe I have too much faith in humanity...
Based on this thread, I believed a Camry was capable on unpaved roads, so I went out and bought one right away. It was going well for a while, but then my luck ran out, and I got suck on a road that some guy on the internet said he could do on a tricycle while pulling a trailer. I had to call for a tow, since my extreme overconfidence left me unprepared.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you imagine that I'm seeking validation from others after repeatedly saying wildly unpopular factual truths, that's quite a stretch.

Sounds like some more "go away if you don't agree" type of stuff. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stampede, your concerns are well documented. I think the issue is that people come to these forums on their breaks/when they’re bored and don’t want all the negativity you have been bringing lately. Not saying your points are wrong... hell when I first joined I use to LOVE reading your posts. You obviously have knowledge. However the unknown of the IFS and SFA and lack of information Ford has released on the vehicle has really been a pivot in your attitude. I’m on the BlueOvalForums too and I saw you got roasted for your SFA remarks there as well. The bronco might not be for you but jeez dude.... I really miss your informative posts but lately it’s been nothing but debbiedowner central.

Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could take my 99 expedition with 320k miles through baja and probably make it the whole way. But I wouldn't be able to do it in 36 hours. does that mean its not capable? Hardly, that thing is just a beast, a gas hog for sure. But in all the years I've owned it, it had to be pulled out once. Its been 2 tracking, crossed fields, mud, deep snow, etc etc. I'm not a regular hardcore off roader either. It tows great, hauls 7 people into the woods on trips, and its an eddie bauer, so its comfortable. But now its getting pretty wore out. michigan winters have taken their toll on it for sure. But, 320k miles, 20 years old. Its time to update.

I'm just looking to update to something with similar capabilities. Off road capable, haul 5 people comfortably, tow at least 5000lbs, and good driving dynamics. Preferably a blue oval on it too. I mentioned on another post, if the bronco cant meet these criteria, I'll look at the new super duty tremor (the new 7.3 has me leaning this way), or an f150 fx4 with a 5.0.

Reactions: Wyo

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stampede, your concerns are well documented. I think the issue is that people come to these forums on their breaks/when they’re bored and don’t want all the negativity you have been bringing lately. Not saying your points are wrong... hell when I first joined I use to LOVE reading your posts. You obviously have knowledge. However the unknown of the IFS and SFA and lack of information Ford has released on the vehicle has really been a pivot in your attitude. I’m on the BlueOvalForums too and I saw you got roasted for your SFA remarks there as well. The bronco might not be for you but jeez dude.... I really miss your informative posts but lately it’s been nothing but debbiedowner central.
man, you gotta provide a link.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree, stampede, you are obviously a smart individual. Your posts are usually informative and well thought out. But lately you have had a chip on your shoulder.

This is an intervention, we want the old stampede back. :crackup: just pickin, but seriously, everybody can have different opinions. Lately it seems like we have all forgotten that. I think everybody needs to just chill a bit and have meaningful debates without berating each other. Anybody who disagrees can just go kick rocks :crazy:

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Stampede is correct the Baja course is technically quite easy and could be accomplished in any stock 4x4 truck. A sedan may be a bit of a stretch, but on the other hand, I did take a rental Nissan Versa out to King of the Hammers and was passing built rigs in the whoops and made it out to all the main spectator areas. It just took a lot of throttle, commitment, and lack of mechanical compassion. I did end up ripping the rear bumper cover off and getting stuck in the soft sand once, but I was able to self-extract using the trunk mat.
Ok, so we're agreed that you aren't going to take a stock average sedan through the whole baja course without damaging things and getting stuck. I've never said that any stock 4x4 couldn't make it through, I was calling out the assertion that the course is so easy a camry could do it without issue, which seems like an attempt to downplay the capability of desert racers versus rock crawlers.

What makes a race like Baja hard is the brutal pace you have to maintain just to finish within the time limit, which simply tears vehicles apart. I understand desert racing in the context of a competition, but I simply do not understand recreational desert running. It is an expensive game of let's see how hard I can beat my truck without something breaking. I prefer the challenge of difficult technical terrain, which is primarily a test of driver skill, but also a test of equipment.
That's totally fair. Different people enjoy different things. For me I like going fast, both recreationally and in competition, and while I can understand why some people enjoy the rock crawling technical challenge, it doesn't appeal to me.

Generally on the roads I drive there's a certain level of durability needed to survive at speed, after which how fast you can go is more dependent on grip and handling because of the corners, unlike Baja where there are big straight sections with whoops that are a lot more punishing (this is also why a SWB vehicle is preferable for me over a LWB one). I just need the Bronco to be above that level (which most cars and stock SUVs are not), and a vehicle that can complete the Baja at something approaching race pace would be. (And before anybody jumps in here, yes, a Baja Bug would be durable enough, they are very tough...I don't want one for many other, probably obvious reasons :p)

In summary, just because Baja racing is not indicative of the type of off road capability that you are interested in or like, doesn't mean it isn't indicative of any sort of capability.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes negative and combative. It’s a battle of who can get the last word in it seems with everything. I’m not saying he’s wrong as initially stated. I don’t want to ignore people because I actually enjoy 90% of yours and stampedes posts as you guys know your stuff. But it’s been, “if you don’t agree with me I’m going to tell you why you’re wrong” which is... hard to continue to read day in and day out. We are discussing a vehicle that we know very little about and is still a year out.

Sponsored

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fair enough, but I quite enjoy technical debate and well reasoned arguments. I don't debate to be right so much as to explain the merits of my opinions and preferences. I have learned a lot from technical debates and am willing to be convinced of just about anything as long as you can support your position with facts and reason.

I don't come here seeking vailidation and entertainment, I come here for the discourse.
this literally has nothing to do with the point I was making. I agree with your take on debate. However, there comes a time where you move on. When jabs and condescension starts to come out is when it’s no longer “technical debate and reasoned” arguments.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said that a bunch of times too, so no, the point wasn't missed.

There are a lot of other people trying to gloss over the huge disparity between "off road capability" and "does well in a race". It seems like Ford would like to do that too. The parallel between how Jeep exploits this to sell Cherokees and what Ford appears to be doing should not be ignored because it is unpleasant or disappointing.
Fair enough, I see that you did indeed recognize that point. My apologies.

My point about the sedan remarks still stands. And I think the analogy of winching an inadequate rig over rock crawling terrain is analogous to driving golf-cart-slow in the desert or the hammers. And I am still not yielding on the premise that this means the Bronco is a desert only rig.

There are a lot of other people trying to gloss over the huge disparity between "off road capability" and "does well in a race".
I am glad you brought this up. The Baja 1000 is not the end all be all for making a good/capable production rig. Perhaps even more importantly, getting a DNF does not mean that you have sedan level off road cred. I know you are not seriously saying that, but hyperbole begets more hyperbole, and soon you have a "huge disparity"

Also yes, we do NOT have a stock Bronco to look at yet, but you dont have to pretend we know next to nothing about it either. I am hopeful about our continued discussion when that day comes.

Last edited:

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What was a fun thread seeing the R in action turned into a contest of who can/can't do what.

I guess if the Bronco R can't do this, we should all go out and buy Highlanders.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What was a fun thread seeing the R in action turned into a contest of who can/can't do what.

I guess if the Bronco R can't do this, we should all go out and buy Highlanders.

Sounds like you’re all getting a new Everest anyways. Although the highlander probably gets better mpg and is quieter.
Sponsored