Sponsored

Bronco R in action, BAJA 1000

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Could also make sense they only used the front section of F150, as that end with IFS and
motor/trans mounts is a lot harder to make..........
Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who knows, but if a full length frame/drivetrain showed up and they cut out the middle, that could
be one way. Also could make sense for timeframe we were told this needed to come together in.

Sounds about right for middle of JL frame, although rear section is 37".

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/jl-frame-body-openings-and-gap-flush-dimensions/

2015 looks like 34ish front, 37ish rear (hard to read) on 145" WB (couldn't find 2018,
but looks a decent amount different comparing pics below)

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/frame-dimension-specifications-334328/

Could make sense and satisfy both claims. If new Bronco frame is going to be beefed up and very close to F150 frame, both could be true if they started with F150 frame, cut out the middle and now more or less call it a T6. The reason I like it is a 5.0 fits in the F150 frame.........

Bunch of pics I created for fun.

2018%20f150%20frame.jpg

2018%20f150%20frame2.jpg

frame5.jpg

frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame4.jpg
When did the f150 go to coil spring rear?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When did the f150 go to coil spring rear?
Who said it did. The very end of frame that starts just forward of the shock mounts looks shop fabbed.
Look at some of the lightening holes, they look all jagged on the edges. And Ford uses a decent amount of oval
holes in their modern frames, none in that section. Also no crossmembers welded through both sides of
frame rail on that rear section.

It's also too wide most likely for rear end crash protection (and normal hitch mounting). Even Wrangler narrows
@ back end to a more normal 37" width range.....
2018_JL_Frame_Dimensions-2-780x405.jpg

Ford needed to put a 37" tire there, for the race anyway.....

And if you were going to build a new badass offroad rig, that was probably going to weigh in near the weight of the lightest F150,
and have the same drivetrain, why wouldn't you start with at least the forward end of your 1/2 ton frame, which would be nicely overdesigned?

or it could all be BS, but frames are way more fun to talk about when discussing an offroader, than screen sizes..........

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who said it did. The very end of frame that starts just forward of the shock mounts looks shop fabbed.
Look at some of the lightening holes, they look all jagged on the edges. And Ford uses a decent amount of oval
holes in their modern frames, none in that section. Also no crossmembers welded through both sides of
frame rail on that rear section.

It's also too wide most likely for rear end crash protection (and normal hitch mounting). Even Wrangler narrows
@ back end to a more normal 37" width range.....
2018_JL_Frame_Dimensions-2-780x405.jpg

Ford needed to put a 37" tire there, for the race anyway.....

And if you were going to build a new badass offroad rig, that was probably going to weigh in near the weight of the lightest F150,
and have the same drivetrain, why wouldn't you start with at least the forward end of your 1/2 ton frame, which would be nicely overdesigned?

or it could all be BS, but frames are way more fun to talk about when discussing an offroader, than screen sizes..........
What I'm pointing out, the first photo in that post. Looks like coil buckets, 4 link mounts forward of the rear axle location, and a panhard mount behind it. Just wonding if this was a boo-boo or what. I know ford is testing coil rear on the bronco/ranger and also on the new f150s.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean the press release is pretty clear:

“The race prototype is built on a modified Ford T6 architecture that will provide the base for the production model.”

How “modified” it is may be up for debate but I highly doubt that it’s an F-150 frame. It’s possible the front suspension is designed for an F-150 which is why the hard points are the same but who knows

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually. This would all make sense for the single cab raptor mule we saw a while back being a bronco platform. Just a thought.

ford-raptor-mule-spy-photo-1559852750.jpg

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

“The race prototype is built on a modified Ford T6 architecture that will provide the base for the production model.”

How “modified” it is may be up for debate but I highly doubt that it’s an F-150 frame. It’s possible the front suspension is designed for an F-150 which is why the hard points are the same but who knows
Right, but it didn't say that modified Ford T6 didn't start life as an F150 frame.
It's makes a decent amount of sense since we know almost positively Bronc will get the 2.7 in some version
and using even the weakest F150 trans/TC would probably be an upgrade over whatever Ranger
is currently getting.

Adding the beef for at least front of F150 susp mount points, and drivetrain mounts would be another bonus.
Add in that Ford probably wants to avoid issues like the JL is having (minor in my opinion with track bar weld, but internet
cry babies usually win the day with stuff like this), especially on such and important debut.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is what i was talking about.

20191209_072240.jpg

Good catch, didn't see that myself. I'm sure with dodge blazing the trail, Ford will go coil rear.
And once the all electric F150 comes out, it will have to be IRS too, unless someone figures out
how to do dual motor with solid axle.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Actually. This would all make sense for the single cab raptor mule we saw a while back being a bronco platform. Just a thought.

ford-raptor-mule-spy-photo-1559852750.jpg
Could also be what rolled into that shop with T6 frame (and F150 body) and made someone think it was an F150 frame.
Maybe if we speculate ridiculously enough, Ford will give us some info........ LOL!!

Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good catch, didn't see that myself. I'm sure with dodge blazing the trail, Ford will go coil rear.
And once the all electric F150 comes out, it will have to be IRS too, unless someone figures out
how to do dual motor with solid axle.
Just did some digging, that is a 2019 ram frame. Damn, I was hoping I was onto something.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just did some digging, that is a 2019 ram frame. Damn, I was hoping I was onto something.
Your right, that pic came up when I was looking for F150 frame pics.
Hosed that one up good, I did...............

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

What is the name of the next gen F150 frame? If they took that and made it 7 inches shorter or made the crossmembers 1.4 inches narrower, could it be called the next generation of the T6?

It has been said by some insiders (here or on blueoval) that in Fordspeak "T6" just means 'mid size truck and suv platform' and doesn't really refer to any specific design or design characteristic. Just like the Escape, Aviator, Maverick, and a few others are all built on the same [letter+number] platform, even though some are cars, trucklets, suvs, crossovers, etc.

A year or so ago in one of the generic 'Ford in the future' official statements they said they were going to be building everything on one of five modular platforms -- that could plausibly mean all trucks or all ICE trucks under X GVWR used variations of the same [letter+number] platform.

While we know that the Ranger and Bronco will share a platform, and we can make some vague edumacated guesses that it will be made of metal and a 'ladder', Ford hasn't really told us jack about it, or what else might also be using that platform.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Uh, basically stock Gladiator finished race in time. Aren’t these the guys we are supposed to try to beat?
I think you can probably count on Jeep pushing a few more 'stock' class units in off road events knowing the Bronco is coming and its showing hasn't been great so far.

It would have been nice if there were some Wranglers in the 'stock' classes of the 1000, but they were the more highly modified versions for this event IIRC.

Still looking forward to KOH.
Sponsored