First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had ford not had the accident. I think they would have finished.
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did they get rammed by a Trophy Truck?
Who said the R got "rammed by a trophy truck"? Rammed in the skid plate?

Who didn't design their vehicle not to be able to withstand a few collisions? Its an off road race, not Driving Miss Daisy.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Who said the R got "rammed by a trophy truck"? Rammed in the skid plate?

Who didn't design their vehicle not to be able to withstand a few collisions? Its an off road race, not Driving Miss Daisy.
This is what I read a while ago. Source was ranger message board, not sure on original source.

We had several challenges during the race, including:

· Getting hit and becoming stuck after a trophy truck hit the Raptor in San Quetin Wash near race mile 190. That’s desert racing!

· This damaged a skid plate that also led to damaging the transmission cooling lines. We fixed the skid plate at Pit 2 but didn’t catch the transmission leak until after it started slipping. It made it to Pit 3. This took several hours to repair.

· Around race mile 480 we broke a fabricated lower control arm. This was replaced but took another 90 minutes or so.

· Ran into aftermarket cooling fan issues around race mile 580. By the time it was repaired at Pit 5 it was about 8:30 at night. The next portion was challenging and risky to get help on the course if something happened, and we’d likely wouldn’t finish until after the official time limit expired.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did they get rammed by a Trophy Truck?
Big difference between the level of protection or ruggedness needed for 'getting rammed' and having someone slide into you at low speed because they can't make it up a muddy hill.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Levine was the original source for most of it.

OK, thought you were asking about it as if you had not read that before.

Anyway, to your point. After 14 years, I got little too cocky last fall, rolled my junk pretty hard
(might have posted this before, don't remember).
http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/RIP/20180728_180201_2.mp4

Not high speed, but Staz double BL slammed rock hard, bent it up, around the center pretty good.
http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/SX 43-S/STAZ BEADLOCKS/20181229_172350.mp4

20181229_172414.jpg

Point is, those rims are 2 piece, double 1/4 inch. So almost 1/2 inch thick, that bent around the hub.
Axles are portals too, designed and manufactured in the late 60's.

I can't find a dam thing wrong with those axles, housings, portal boxes, etc.... They are kingpin, so that helped, but I'm still shocked at no damage, after seeing how bad rim is.

Obviously, not doing this crap on a new bronco, but is any IFS made, in "some" stock type configuration,
going to take that kind of shot?? I think a kingpin D60 SFA could.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Big difference between the level of protection or ruggedness needed for 'getting rammed' and having someone slide into you at low speed because they can't make it up a muddy hill.

I think you read too much into the choice of words used. Racing’s racing.

I wrecked a bike doing over 100mph, multiple times and got up ran to the bike picked it up and finished the race.
I have also fell over at less than 5 mph, snapped a clutch lever off, ripped the sole of my boot off while also bloodying two knees and taking a bar end to the chest rendering me unable to finish.
It is “my opinion” that theres no way to judge that stuff without seeing the damage caused first.

Last edited:

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you read too much into the choice of words used. Racing’s racing.

I wrecked a bike doing over 100mph, multiple times and got up ran to the bike picked it up and finished the race.
I have also fell over at less than 5 mph, snapped a clutch lever off, ripped the sole of my boot off while also bloodying two knees and taking a bar end to the chest rendering me unable to finish.
It is “my opinion” that theres no way to judge that stuff without seeing the damage caused first.
Exactly. Its like hidden damage on rebuilt cars. We have a family friend who owns and operates a fleet of tow trucks, and recovery business. He's seen a lot of them. I've seen first hand too, my dirtbike days. Had a few nasty spills that did almost nothing, but it fell over in the truck and cracked the radiator.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, not gonna crap on the bronco R when it was struck by another vehicle. Hard to know the full extent of the damage

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yup, not gonna crap on the bronco R when it was struck by another vehicle. Hard to know the full extent of the damage
I'm not crapping on it, I'm genuinely interested in the toughest factory IFS we know about now and it's
servive-abilty? I'm thinking military H1's were put through some ridiculous stuff, especially since
the drivers didn't pay for them (and many times you were "at war" in them). Not directly related
to new bronc due to weight of H1's, but close enough for this conversation. So you military guys,
how does that susp hold up.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
More from the guy who claimed F150 chassis

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299521

----------------------------------

The R bronco is a f150 chassis and that is all. It was not built on the t6 platform like the arrival states. A 2.7 liter 4x4 f150 rolling chassis went to Geiser Bros and they built the rest. No suspension was used. Just frame rails, engine, trans and t case. There is zero resemblance to the actual bronco Ford will make is what I was told. It was all done for marketing. Sorry for the bad news

----------------------------------
Geiser Bros would gladly build you another one. Heard it cost somewhere around 500k to build it. Bolt on front raptor suspension, all stock powertrain and a simple 5 link and hang a body. Huge profit for Geiser
grin.gif

---------------------------------------------

Did you look at the pictures I posted with the body off? It's a 100% race vehicle. No where near street legal. Can not be compared to any raptor project ford has ever put out .

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honestly the frankenranger mule and the Bronco R are probably about the same % “production” Bronco parts. They have been pretty adamant that this is a T6 platform so idk why they would lie. All the engineers and press releases are on the same page and one guy on a forum playing telephone doesn’t mean it’s based on the F-150 platform.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm not entirely sure why it matters, anyway. It's a marketing prop. They're going to slap it together with whatever they have laying around, say "dynamic heritage" and reference saddles a few dozen times, and send it.
Sponsored