Sponsored

Bronco R in action, BAJA 1000

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not entirely sure why it matters, anyway. It's a marketing prop. They're going to slap it together with whatever they have laying around, say "dynamic heritage" and reference saddles a few dozen times, and send it.
Would think it would matter as to what length A-arms they are actually going to be able to fit.

More fodder......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeOffroad
viewpost.gif

What characteristics distinguished it as a F150 chassis instead of the Ranger it was claimed to be? Did someone else tell you that's what it was?

" Yeah, Ford guy at the race shop in ivolved with programing the OEM electrical work with the Motec race side of the vehicle said it's an f150. It's physically a lot larger and wider. The bronco R track width(outside tire to outside tire) is over 90 in wide. A ranger is somewhere around 70. You can see in my pics that the A arms are not that long. There's no way you could put short enough arms on that chassis and get it anywhere near a ranger width. A ams would be like 3in long and tires would rub the frame when turned."

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sponsored

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For the record I like Fords.
I own an original MK-IV that Donohue/McLaren drove to 4TH OA at Le Mans in 1967.
I also think the new Bronco is pretty cool.
I even asked Ford to sell me engines (750 HP Supercharged V8's) but they refused because I compete with them in races.
Go figure.
You would have been competing against Ford's 2.7 ecoboost with a supercharged V-8?

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You would have been competing against Ford's 2.7 ecoboost with a supercharged V-8?
We are competing against Ford with a street legal SUV which their Baja Bronco isn't. At the Baja we raced with an NA V8. On the road we use a supercharged LT4.
The reason we beat them by 271 miles isn't because of HP. (We raced with an NA 425) it's because our Boot has much more suspension travel, is better engineered, and was much more reliable. Ford as their Baja race Bronco is a full race truck that is not road legal with a "Bronco" body could have built anything they wanted. What they built had no chance of beating us.
Unless we break or crash out they have no chance this year either. Simply put our Boot with it's road legal design and huge suspension travel is much faster than their full race not road legal "Bronco".

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We are competing against Ford with a street legal SUV which their Baja Bronco isn't. At the Baja we raced with an NA V8. On the road we use a supercharged LT4.
The reason we beat them by 271 miles isn't because of HP. (We raced with an NA 425) it's because our Boot has much more suspension travel, is better engineered, and was much more reliable. Ford as their Baja race Bronco is a full race truck that is not road legal with a "Bronco" body could have built anything they wanted. What they built had no chance of beating us.
Unless we break or crash out they have no chance this year either. Simply put our Boot with it's road legal design and huge suspension travel is much faster than their full race not road legal "Bronco".
What do you think Bronco R should focus on to do better this time around? The popular word is that simple things like the skid plate began their problems.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the reply. If you could get them from Ford, would you use a 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost over the NA V-8?

Sponsored

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What do you think Bronco R should focus on to do better this time around? The popular word is that simple things like the skid plate began their problems.
There are several things going on.
First they have to make the whole Race Bronco much more reliable. This is why you race. The Baja 1000 is the equivalent of 100k hard road miles.. See what broke and re engineer it. This I assume they will do.
They also have to deceide what they're trying to prove. Are they trying to improve the Bronco you can buy or are they trying to build something that looks like the Bronco you can buy but is really a totally non road legal race truck? IMO they've build something in between, neither here nor there, that doesn't have enough HP or suspension travel to challenge our Boot.
Thanks for the reply. If you could get them from Ford, would you use a 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost over the NA V-8?
Thanks. No for The Boot we like our GM engines better. We would consider their V8 flat crank supercharged V8 but as I said they won't sell it to us.

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are several things going on.
First they have to make the whole Race Bronco much more reliable. This is why you race. The Baja 1000 is the equivalent of 100k hard road miles.. See what broke and re engineer it. This I assume they will do.
They also have to deceide what they're trying to prove. Are they trying to improve the Bronco you can buy or are they trying to build something that looks like the Bronco you can buy but is really a totally non road legal race truck? IMO they've build something in between, neither here nor there, that doesn't have enough HP or suspension travel to challenge our Boot.

Thanks. No for The Boot we like our GM engines better. We would consider their V8 flat crank supercharged V8 but as I said they won't sell it to us.
I agree. They were kinda upfront about it as they were saying that 'some' parts were not stock but the guts were all stock. I got the impression they were trying to infer they were doing R&D. Leaving me with the thought that if you enter a race, you should try to win and are they back-peddling on a loss? As amazing as the Boot is, it barely finished the race. What are your expectations for the Boot this time around? I will be prepared for a gentleman's bet come November :) if you're willing to offer a handicap.

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree. They were kinda upfront about it as they were saying that 'some' parts were not stock but the guts were all stock. I got the impression they were trying to infer they were doing R&D. Leaving me with the thought that if you enter a race, you should try to win and are they back-peddling on a loss? As amazing as the Boot is, it barely finished the race. What are your expectations for the Boot this time around? I will be prepared for a gentleman's bet come November :) if you're willing to offer a handicap.
When we realized we beat them by 270 miles we took it easy as this was our first race in her. We had a hour of time banked as we rendered aid to an accident and if needed, which it wasn't we could have subtracted it. This year we'll be a lot faster.

toddz69

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hopefully all the development and testing work they've been doing since last year's event helps make it a closer race this year.

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hopefully all the development and testing work they've been doing since last year's event helps make it a closer race this year.
We learned a bit last year, made some changes and we're heading back to The Baja to defend our title...
Ford Bronco Bronco R in action, BAJA 1000 10506D84-F6E9-4346-B434-30683D80AEF5
Sponsored