Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basically it's not a road legal Bronco that races with it's windshield and fenders removed. AFAIK
It's a purpose built race truck. The Bronco is a fantastic vehicle. It's a great bargain in it's road legal form.
We look forward to racing it's race version again soon.
makes sense. apparently ford doesn't have as much confidence in the bronco suspension as they do in the gen2 raptor. all powertrain was stock in the raptor afaik... obviously it had a roll cage and race harnesses and race seats and so on but i'm pretty sure it had stock powertrain
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ok. do you know what makes the race bronco non street legal? not questioning your knowledge or anything, just wondering
What makes it non street legal is that fact that it's not registered and tagged, pure and simple.

That is the only difference.

Slap a tag on the BroncoR and drive it to get groceries.

The problem is how do you tag a one off purpose built vehicle with no VIN? Kitcar? I don't know.

This is where the Boot being built buy a vehicle manufacter, SCG, and the road going version's close relationship to the race machine comes in handy.

It's not as if everybody in the country lives in some backwater freedom hating state where the local police can ask you to pop your hood on a random traffic stop and ticket you for full TBE.

"Street legal" isn't really a national thing and it doesn't really mean much. In Utah and South Dakota side by sides are "street legal," as long as they have, you guessed it, a license plate.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What makes it non street legal is that fact that it's not registered and tagged, pure and simple.

That is the only difference.

Slap a tag on the BroncoR and drive it to get groceries.

The problem is how do you tag a one off purpose built vehicle with no VIN? Kitcar? I don't know.

This is where the Boot being built buy a vehicle manufacter, SCG, and the road going version's close relationship to the race machine comes in handy.

It's not as if everybody in the country lives in some backwater freedom hating state where the local police can ask you to pop your hood on a random traffic stop and ticket you for full TBE.

"Street legal" isn't really a national thing and it doesn't really mean much.
In Utah and South Dakota side by sides are "street legal," as long as they have, you guessed it, a license plate.
yup, look at tom baileys 519 ci camaro... 5sec street legal car that he won drag week with
https://www.bailey-racing.com/

@nbennett14 great explanation right here.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
yup, look at tom baileys 519 ci camaro... 5sec street legal car that he won drag week with

Yep, rally cars are another good example. While they're not as wild of builds as other examples they are purpose built race cars registered and tagged. They have to transit road sections between special stages.

Also thanks for tagging the original asker of the question. Didn't realize you had re-asked.

Last edited:

nbennett14

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Fusion, 14 Fusion, 07 Expedition, 14 Grand Cherokee SRT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I appreciate the e

I appreciate the explanation, thanks. I guess what I don't understand is he is talking about going against ford like they are similar vehicles. Ford is taking parts of its bronco with aftermarket parts so it can make it. But their goal is to show that their motor, and some factory parts can withhold the endurance of the baha. Where as the Boot is, yea street legal but designed for things like the baha but street legal. They are marketing a vehicle that will appeal to very few people where Ford is testing and trying to show some of their factory parts will withstand the test. Does that make any sense?

Sponsored

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I appreciate the e
I appreciate the explanation, thanks. I guess what I don't understand is he is talking about going against ford like they are similar vehicles. Ford is taking parts of its bronco with aftermarket parts so it can make it. But their goal is to show that their motor, and some factory parts can withhold the endurance of the baha. Where as the Boot is, yea street legal but designed for things like the baha but street legal. They are marketing a vehicle that will appeal to very few people where Ford is testing and trying to show some of their factory parts will withstand the test. Does that make any sense?
Our Boot is appealing to a lot of people. We're completely sold out for 2021 and will triple capacity to build Boots for 2022. Ford spent a lot more than we did on their race truck. They were shocked we beat them. If we don't break we'll beat them by a much larger margin this year.

nbennett14

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Fusion, 14 Fusion, 07 Expedition, 14 Grand Cherokee SRT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Our Boot is appealing to a lot of people. We're completely sold out for 2021 and will triple capacity to build Boots for 2022. Ford spent a lot more than we did on their race truck. They were shocked we beat them. If we don't break we'll beat them by a much larger margin this year.
I appreciate the response.
I totally understand that but two complete different trucks. You might have sold out but how many units are sold already? Not saying i dislike the truck, it's awesome. But, but you guys agenda/plan is completely different than ford's. And much more expensive. It's not for your average person vehicle.

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I totally understand that but two complete different trucks. You might have sold out but how many units are sold already? Not saying i dislike the truck, it's awesome. But, but you guys agenda/plan is completely different than ford's. And much more expensive. It's not for your average person vehicle.
Racing helps to test your products and if you do well to sell them. We have lower cost vehicles in the pipeline that are pretty cool. The flag drops.
The Bullshit stops.
May the best truck win.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In 1966 Henry Ford II sent this message to his team. I just sent this message to our team for round two of The Glickenhaus Ford Baja 1000 wars.

Ford Bronco Bronco R in action, BAJA 1000 77B4C3C3-57D9-4620-A2DB-D4A50FE9364A
it should say, signed, SCG

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is correct.

SCG is taking a $250,000, bespoke, road vehicle and spending a few grand to make it a race truck.

Ford is taking the drive train out of a $40,000 MASS PRODUCED vehicle and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a race machine around it.

Apples to Oranges.

But in the end they are BOTH spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. It is racing after all.

Thing about it is, all of us here could swing a Bronco. There might be one person here who can afford (truly) a Boot.

I'll bet their "lower cost" vehicles that are coming still cost over $100k.

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is correct.

SCG is taking a $250,000, bespoke, road vehicle and spending a few grand to make it a race truck.

Ford is taking the drive train out of a $40,000 MASS PRODUCED vehicle and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a race machine around it.

Apples to Oranges.

But in the end they are BOTH spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. It is racing after all.

Thing about it is, all of us here could swing a Bronco. There might be one person here who can afford (truly) a Boot.

I'll bet their "lower cost" vehicles that are coming still cost over $100k.
Our race engine is a road legal LT 1 and our road engines are LT 4's and LT5 all of which are used in GM vehicles. We're both using road car engines, Ford spent a lot more on their race truck than we did and last year they lost by 271 miles and unlike us weren't able to drive home. This year they're spending a lot to try to beat us. They will be faster but personally, unless we break or crash I don't think Ford has a chance in round two. I agree our road legal examples are apples to potatoes but our race trucks are apple to apples. Next year as we'll offer a road legal version of our Boot with 840HP and 1050NM of torque I think they'll have even less of a chance to beat us. The Bronco is wonderful. For the money it's a great value. That said the laws of physics remain in place. A race truck with a honking V8 and 22 inches of suspension travel will usually beat a race truck with a TTV6 and 15 inches of suspension travel.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Our race engine is a road legal LT 1 and our road engines are LT 4's and LT5 all of which are used in GM vehicles. We're both using road car engines, Ford spent a lot more on their race truck than we did and last year they lost by 271 miles and unlike us weren't able to drive home. This year they're spending a lot to try to beat us. They will be faster but personally, unless we break or crash I don't think Ford has a chance in round two. I agree our road legal examples are apples to potatoes but our race trucks are apple to apples. Next year as we'll offer a road legal version of our Boot with 840HP and 1050NM of torque I think they'll have even less of a chance to beat us. The Bronco is wonderful. For the money it's a great value. That said the laws of physics remain in place. A race truck with a honking V8 and 22 inches of suspension travel will usually beat a race truck with a TTV6 and 15 inches of suspension travel.
There really isn't such a thing as a "road legal motor" though. What does that even mean? Any motor put into a tagged vehicle is now "road legal."

Nobody is trying to say that you haven't or aren't going to beat Ford. In fact I support, and applaud, the "little guy" sticking it to the man.

But you're missing the point of Ford's endeavor IMHO.

Ford is attempting to prove the durability of their MASS PRODUCED drive trains. Which they have done.

Ford has specifically stated that their goal was to FINISH. Not win. With 7 drivers changes, half of them not at fuel stops, that was obvious.

Are you racing to win, or finish? Rhetorical question.

I pretty sure that your race engine, while "road legal" is not a mass produced engine. Or for that matter, that you're using a mass produced transmission or transfer case.

Ford may have "spent a lot of money" but they had to build an entire race truck around their drivetrain choice. You guys didn't have to spend that money because your "race truck" was basically "plucked" off the line to drop a different engine in it.

Even the race rigs are apples to oranges.

Ford is racing a "stock" engine in a race truck. You are racing a "race" engine in a stock truck, which happens to be a race truck in disguise. It costs a lot more money to build an entire race truck than to build an engine.

Jim Glickenhaus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SCG Boot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The engine we beat Ford with was a Bone Stock GM LT 1 road engine.
All of our road legal vehicles including the one we beat Ford with are NHTSA and EPA compliant.
Sponsored