Sponsored

Bronco R Race Prototype Revealed for Baja 1000!

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Durability is one reason. Ford’s vacuum operated IFS hubs are weak AF and there is no alternative.

Tons of upgrades for Jeep’s Dana 44 and you can bolt a 60 in its place.
Sure but we’re talking (relatively) stock vs stock. We have no idea how durable this suspension is... but if it can make it through the Baja running 37’s I’m sure it will do fine on some damn tough trails.

Anybody who’s upgrading to tons isn’t leaving Jeep anyways.
Sponsored

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's something interesting, I thought the hood looked really long on the new one, and while the windshield is back an inch or two and definitely more raked, it lines up with the body lines on the original teaser image. I'll try to edit this for a better comparison when I get home.

blanket bronco.png

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't sell just yet...I'd bet all the Bronco hype will drive Gen1s prices to new heights.
I think EB prices will go down with the introduction of the Bronco Bronco, if Ford does a good job and the new Bronco keeps the lineage with the EB, similar to the Jeep JL and it's predecessors. The reason being EB prices went through the roof when it became known and desired by a wider audience of big spenders, outside of the regular old 4x4 hobbyist. Those people will now have the option of a brand new Bronco with all the modern touches and accouterments. I think some of them will be happier with that, compared to an old rough riding EB that gets 14 miles per gallon. Of course the old 4x4 hobbyists will still want an EB, same as before all these other people showed up and drove the prices into la la land.

Look at the Jeep situation for guidance, TJ/YJ/CJ prices are all decent - I got my TJ for $6000. (An EB would have been a basket case for that price.) A reason for the decent early Jeep prices is because of the JK and now JL. If there had been no JL/JK then you can bet early Jeep prices would also have gone up quite a bit more.

The new Bronco will siphon off a portion of the EB buyers who probably should never have bought an EB in the first place. That is my prediction anyway - we will see what happens.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they were roughly the same on the outside, then the old one would have way more room inside.

Crash protection and all the other modern fluff and BS takes up a lot of space ... that's one of the reasons the Wrangler had to get bigger too (JK and JL are +4"), and why the new Bronco will be ~4 inches bigger than the EB, so it can maintain that same 'comfort' edge over the Wrangler that the EB did over the CJ.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive wheeled both ifs and sfa in basic stock configurations, they both have advantages. Obviously a solid axle was very robust, but the ifs did have more clearance. Ground clearance is more tire than anything else. That being said.... aftermarket support for solid axles blows ifs out of the water. But, with a strong diff, and a locker. I see no reason why a stock for stock (jeep vs bronco) wouldn't be directly competitive. BUT when you throw aftermarket into the mix. You can put dana 60s under a jeep in a day. A solid axle swap, frame modifications, custom suspension, drive shaft, although completely plausible. Is not ideal for a rig you dropped 40k on. I'm not saying people wont do it. But its a drawn out process of trial and error until someone makes a kit. Now ford could really throw people off, making both from the factory, but I doubt it would even be a possibility. If they are smart, they will tap into jeeps aftermarket supply chain. Offer a kit that lets you swap in a jeep axle long arm setup. Utilizing mounting points that are compatible with the links, and a steering box setup.

Sponsored

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure but we’re talking (relatively) stock vs stock. We have no idea how durable this suspension is... but if it can make it through the Baja running 37’s I’m sure it will do fine on some damn tough trails.

Plus the hubs may be ”weak AF" from the factory but that will change fast with aftermarket support. Plenty of weak parts on factory Jeeps supported by aftermarket, bronco will be the same.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... Anybody who’s upgrading to tons isn’t leaving Jeep anyways.
Not if Ford opts for IFS instead of stick, it won't even be in the game.

The cost of the lift to make room for 37-40" tires on an IFS Bronco will be more than upgrading axles in a Jeep. Maybe one or two random people will do it, but your average Joe is going to see that cost or technical hurdle and say NOPE.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Stock vs stock the D44 is way stronger than Ford IFS. I was simply pointing out that there are tons of upgrades for the 44 if stock isn’t good enough.

I highly doubt the Bronco will use components that are any beefier than the Raptor, which are mostly just regular F-150 parts, and those fail all the time on stock trucks.

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
seems like the head rests of the front seats are wider in the 2021.....pause it @ the 12 second mark

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's something interesting, I thought the hood looked really long on the new one, and while the windshield is back an inch or two and definitely more raked, it lines up with the body lines on the original teaser image. I
Based on this overlay (and assuming the new Bronco is really the 4-door wheelbase), overall length of the 2-door won't be much shorter....9"-12"???

I think EB prices will go down with the introduction of the Bronco Bronco
As you said, it's the 'big spenders' dropping $150+K on a refurbished EB...I kinda doubt their second choice will be a $45K production vehicle

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stock vs stock the D44 is way stronger than Ford IFS. I was simply pointing out that there are tons of upgrades for the 44 if stock isn’t good enough.

I highly doubt the Bronco will use components that are any beefier than the Raptor, which are mostly just regular F-150 parts, and those fail all the time on stock trucks.
Sure a Dana 44 is stronger until you hit something at speed. Then it shows it’s weakness. I found a screenshot of the suspension setup... seems pretty damn beefy to me.
AF86AB16-D6E0-4B8A-93BA-994A4B756E49.png

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on this overlay (and assuming the new Bronco is really the 4-door wheelbase), overall length of the 2-door won't be much shorter....9"-12"???...
Around 16-18" less based on the mules.

We don't even know that the R isn't stretched, which I would actually assume it is, because that's good for the kind of high speed racing this is built for. Same reason it's around 90" wide, stability at speed and smoothing out whoops and other small irregularities.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure a Dana 44 is stronger until you hit something at speed. Then it shows it’s weakness. I found a screenshot of the suspension setup... seems pretty damn beefy to me.
AF86AB16-D6E0-4B8A-93BA-994A4B756E49.png
You can't possibly think those are production parts ... it's wider than a ******* dually ...
Sponsored