Sponsored

Bronco R Race Prototype Revealed for Baja 1000!

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm super excited about this. All along what I've wanted is something with Raptor-like capability for speed in a smaller body that's actually usable on the fire roads and FSR trails up here in BC. To date there hasn't been anything with the same capability for that as my old Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution but it's looking more and more like Ford is actually going to get me out of it. SFA would have been a complete deal breaker for me.
Sponsored

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That thing would be awful on the rocks, the clearances aren't that great, and its stupidly wide. This is clearly built for going fast over fairly open even paths.
This one is definitely a open desert racer and not a rock crawler

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jalisur already covered this if you want to see his comment. Is this a stock body? No! but come on now, NASCAR? that's insulting lol, a better comparison is GT class. NASCAR is a joke to compare to any base vehicle. Similarly a GT class car is not at all what you buy from the dealer
This. To reiterate in case someone missed it, this is from the Ford press release:

"The race prototype is built on a modified Ford T6 architecture that will provide the base for the production model. Beefed up for Baja, Bronco R features an independent front suspension with 14 inches of travel and a production-based five-link rear chassis design with up to 18 inches of travel, plus custom Fox shocks, 17-inch beadlock-capable aluminum wheels and 37-inch BFGoodrich tires."

It's a production based vehicle.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
The Emperor Has No Clothes.

This is ugly as **** if you ask me. I honestly think half the people declaring their love for it today would say the same thing if they weren't so desperate to see something.

Like someone said earlier, it probably has as much in common with the production body as a typical NASCAR body would.

That thing would be awful on the rocks, the clearances aren't that great, and its stupidly wide. This is clearly built for going fast over fairly open even paths.

I was asking myself that same question. Pretty sure the 2.7 and 3.0 are very similar.
Post 103 explains what I meant. I feel that it should be obvious that no one in their right mind will try to go rock crawling with a desert racer and vise versa, just holding out that one of the trim/packages is a rock/trail fighter as I don't feel I want a baja blaster...again, but who knows...

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Emperor Has No Clothes.

This is ugly as **** if you ask me. I honestly think half the people declaring their love for it today would say the same thing if they weren't so desperate to see something.
On the contrary, this is much better than anything I expected, I'm working on a 'production' model render based on this right now, but the design cues they're including look great. It's got square flares, an open grille, and my favorite detail, the hood/fender lip, and it's all very sleak and clean looking, I imagine the final model will look on par with the original Bronco6G render, this is already much better looking than Road & Track and Motor Trend's concepts.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't know why people are saying this won't do well in the rocks... 37'' tires and that front ground clearence looks great. Plus with no pumpkin hanging down, I would put this thing up against a Jeep.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This. To reiterate in case someone missed it, this is from the Ford press release:

"The race prototype is built on a modified Ford T6 architecture that will provide the base for the production model. Beefed up for Baja, Bronco R features an independent front suspension with 14 inches of travel and a production-based five-link rear chassis design with up to 18 inches of travel, plus custom Fox shocks, 17-inch beadlock-capable aluminum wheels and 37-inch BFGoodrich tires."

It's a production based vehicle.
The chassis might be production based, but the rest of it is just a "hint" at the design.

Other than the hood, this thing is featureless and boring as hell -- which is fine for aerodynamics and easy sculpting for a racy body, but awful for a production body.

You're conveniently ignoring the rest of it ...

And as a tease, the Bronco R – developed by Ford Performance in collaboration with builder Geiser Bros Design and Development and Baja 1000 Trophy Truck champion Cameron Steele – drops heritage-inspired design and proportion hints of what enthusiasts can expect to see when the future Bronco makes its world premiere next spring

If that was supposed to be representative of the production body, it would be a hell of a lot more than a "hint". So, yeah, 'NASCAR' body.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The chassis might be production based, but the rest of it is just a "hint" at the design.

Other than the hood, this thing is featureless and boring as hell -- which is fine for aerodynamics and easy sculpting for a racy body, but awful for a production body.

You're conveniently ignoring the rest of it ...

And as a tease, the Bronco R – developed by Ford Performance in collaboration with builder Geiser Bros Design and Development and Baja 1000 Trophy Truck champion Cameron Steele – drops heritage-inspired design and proportion hints of what enthusiasts can expect to see when the future Bronco makes its world premiere next spring

If that was supposed to be representative of the production body, it would be a hell of a lot more than a "hint". So, yeah, 'NASCAR' body.
Ah, ok, I see your point. But using the NASCAR analogy is a little misleading because this is almost the opposite of NASCAR where they have a vaguely production appearing body and underneath is absolutely nothing like the real vehicle. This is similar to the real chassis and with a very vaguely production-like body/interior.

As someone else mentioned, more like a GT or Touring car.

As for looks, I like it, but styling is subjective. I especially dig the hood design.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that's funny, you're ignoring the fact that the part of the body that will actually provide you shoulder room is not significantly wider than the EB. You're just distracted by the stupidly wide fenders and wheel placement.

My money is still on ~72" body.

Watch the video again and ignore everything below the hood line. Just look at the greenhouse in this last side-by-side frame ... the R is just a little bit farther away, so it looks marginally smaller, but it is most definitely not much larger in the areas you claim matter.

BroncoRs.png

Everyone is so distracted by shiny things they're ignoring the plain and simple facts. :crazy: . :crackup:

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
I don't know why people are saying this won't do well in the rocks... 37'' tires and that front ground clearence looks great. Plus with no pumpkin hanging down, I would put this thing up against a Jeep.
Maybe a 2 door version without the width that was worked into this baja racer version would do well on the trails and rocks, is it just me or is this Bronco R WIDE? Maybe its because they put it next to the EB baja racer, that thing looks tiny compared to the "Bronco R"?

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think that's funny, you're ignoring the fact that the part of the body that will actually provide you shoulder room is not significantly wider than the EB. You're just distracted by the stupidly wide fenders and wheel placement.

My money is still on ~72" body.

Watch the video again and ignore everything below the hood line. Just look at the greenhouse in this last side-by-side frame ... the R is just a little bit farther away, so it looks marginally smaller, but it is most definitely not much larger in the areas you claim matter.

BroncoRs.png
This is what I was saying - I'm pretty happy with the size of this thing, once the tires are actually contained within the fenders on the production vehicle it looks to be a very reasonably sized vehicle. Assuming that this is the 4 door wheelbase, the 2 door should also be nice and short.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe a 2 door version without the width that was worked into this baja racer version would do well on the trails and rocks, is it just me or is this Bronco R WIDE? Maybe its because they put it next to the EB baja racer, that thing looks tiny compared to the "Bronco R"?
The track width on the Bronco R is huge with the tires well outside the (significantly flared) fenders. But the actual body is not, see Stampede's post just above.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
MB - you ARE talented with this stuff. The best I could research, EBS were 68.5" wide. What do you think of Stampede's assertion that the new one is only 3.5" wider? (at the greenhouse)
Sponsored