First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think it’s sounds great, I’ll be getting a set for sure.
I’d like to throw my two cents into the ring here about these half truths about gains etc.
having actual ecu tuned cars before, I’ll set a few things straight.

1) You most likely won’t get much or any change in peak horse power or tq without a tune. You will most definitely won’t get a drop in hp or tq.

2)On a boosted engine your torque will not shift to the right. N/A yeah that may happen. The torque gained from back pressure in N/A is a thing. Boosted engines, the faster you can clear those Gases the better. The turbo it self provides all the back pressure needed.

3)Spool up, spooling the turbo by having a clear path and free flow will spool you turbos faster. Most likely moving your torque curve to the left.

4)Thermodynamics, turbos spool from hot gases moving to a cooler area creating the gas flow velocity. So we are getting a few things with a down pipe. Better flow, spool and cooler egt. So again better faster spool, less HEAT soak, keeping the timing from being retarded from prolong blasts or hot operating temperatures. Take your truck to somewhere like glamis, the first burn yep peak horse power, and you blast and have fun on the skinny pedal, temps will rise your charge temps will increase no matter the size of your intercooler, you turbos will be getting dam hot if they cant clear the gases, your ecu will retard timing, and add fuel in an attempt to control temps and detonation, thus less power the more you run it hard.

So with out tuning yeah your power wont see more power, cause you are not changing any ecu parameters. Like (more) boost, (advance) timing advance, or (lean out) fuel. But like all turbo engines heat management is key, this is why we all want bigger intercoolers managing the incoming air. Down pipes and free flowing exhaust manage the out going temps. And if you plan to tune the vehicle in anyway these are pretty standard bolt on for performance.

And one last thing if you did put on a intercooler and not down pipes you are shooting your self in the foot. The increased volume means your turbos have to spin faster to creat the same psi at the increased volume, down pipes will help with that from what I wrote above.

sorry for the long post but thought I’d share as I just pulled my head away from my tuning computer after fixing a map for a super charged Miata on megasquirt.
Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This sounds pretty damn good for a bronco.

Nice!!! 👍👍

I imagine you have already done the intake and exhaust in prep for the ECU hack.

Any good leeds on the next upgrade?

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I ran out of fuel on my 2.7 around 450 horse. So the max on a 2.7 is around that until a ecu crack. Gonna be a sad day when the 2.3 pipes come out in a couple months. They will end up being the highest horse and have a manual to boot. Bastards. Already thinking about selling.
Yeah, I have never been a fan of the ‘small’ engines always a V8 guy but the advances in small displacement turbo power is crazy these days, just read an article not long ago about toyotas 1.3 turbo putting out 300hp..I have the 2.3 man and am surprised at the pep it has on my 2 dr

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
...turbos spool from hot gases moving to a cooler area creating the gas flow velocity.
I think the piston movement on exhaust stroke does more to push the exhaust gasses than convection.

BCRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think the piston movement on exhaust stroke does more to push the exhaust gasses than convection.
A contributing factor but not what causes the turbine to spin at those insane rpm. Yes the exhaust stroke is pushing, hot expanding gases through to the header and the turbo is the exit sign for those gases.
Think of it like a bunch of angry zombies pushing through a revolving door, into the next room to eat you. The next room is small, with multiple walls (baffles in the stock cat) it will forever for them to reach the hallway you’re waiting for them with a m-240 belt fed.
if the crowd of zombies come through the door into a big room equal to the size of the one they came. You’d have all the zombies in there real close. Probably the worst analogy evermade by a bitter vet but might help you picture it. For more smart way to put it I’ll just cut and paste this small section. Or I can post all my notes on “ideal gas law”

Super long story short. You want larger free flowing downpipes on a turbo engine. The stock ones are heavily influenced by emissions not pure performance

“The energy inside the gas in those headers exists in the form of heat, pressure and motion. Because it’s pressurised relative to atmosphere it’s on the hunt for a way out, and the only exit sign is hanging over the entry to the exhaust turbine part of the turbocharger. It’s like a pressure release valve.

Lots of processes take place here. The pressure inside the exhaust manifold is caused by heat - because there’s a direct, linear relationship between absolute temperature and pressure. So there’s high pressure on the engine side and relatively low pressure on the exit side.

Therefore, there’s flow. (Because gasses flow from areas of high to low pressure.)

Gasses have mass. Exhaust is mainly nitrogen gas, CO2 and steam. They’ve all got mass. If you’ve got mass and flow, you’ve got kinetic energy. So the heat and pressure turns into kinetic energy by virtue of its motion through the turbine.

“The gas also has viscosity - which is a fancy way of saying it just doesn’t like being pushed around. Or at least it resists being pushed around. So it hits the turbine blades on its way out out the door and the resistance translates to force acting on the blades, and that spins the turbine, which is connected to the compressor on the other end of the shaft.”

You can also tell me to STFU. I won’t take insult. Lmao.

IMG_3538.png

Sponsored

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

A contributing factor but not what causes the turbine to spin at those insane rpm. Yes the exhaust stroke is pushing, hot expanding gases through to the header and the turbo is the exit sign for those gases.
Think of it like a bunch of angry zombies pushing through a revolving door, into the next room to eat you. The next room is small, with multiple walls (baffles in the stock cat) it will forever for them to reach the hallway you’re waiting for them with a m-240 belt fed.
if the crowd of zombies come through the door into a big room equal to the size of the one they came. You’d have all the zombies in there real close. Probably the worst analogy evermade by a bitter vet but might help you picture it. For more smart way to put it I’ll just cut and paste this small section. Or I can post all my notes on “ideal gas law”

Super long story short. You want larger free flowing downpipes on a turbo engine. The stock ones are heavily influenced by emissions not pure performance

“The energy inside the gas in those headers exists in the form of heat, pressure and motion. Because it’s pressurised relative to atmosphere it’s on the hunt for a way out, and the only exit sign is hanging over the entry to the exhaust turbine part of the turbocharger. It’s like a pressure release valve.

Lots of processes take place here. The pressure inside the exhaust manifold is caused by heat - because there’s a direct, linear relationship between absolute temperature and pressure. So there’s high pressure on the engine side and relatively low pressure on the exit side.

Therefore, there’s flow. (Because gasses flow from areas of high to low pressure.)

Gasses have mass. Exhaust is mainly nitrogen gas, CO2 and steam. They’ve all got mass. If you’ve got mass and flow, you’ve got kinetic energy. So the heat and pressure turns into kinetic energy by virtue of its motion through the turbine.

“The gas also has viscosity - which is a fancy way of saying it just doesn’t like being pushed around. Or at least it resists being pushed around. So it hits the turbine blades on its way out out the door and the resistance translates to force acting on the blades, and that spins the turbine, which is connected to the compressor on the other end of the shaft.”

You can also tell me to STFU. I won’t take insult. Lmao.

IMG_3538.png

I like the information provided. I am looking into getting these. Can you give me a pros and cons list if you don’t mind?

BCRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I like the information provided. I am looking into getting these. Can you give me a pros and cons list if you don’t mind?
yeah I can try to summarize in a pro / con list

Pro:
- Better flow
- Better control of heat soak
- Better sound (subjective)
- less weight
- More HP/TQ once ecu tuning is done
- faster spool

cons:
- sound (subjective)
- modification of emissions equipment (warranty and local law)
- possible o2 sensor issues. Don’t know what they have done to address this. But modern vehicles have two o2 sensors one pre-cat ones post cat. Post cat o2 may not “see” what it wants and throw a code. This is most of the time eliminated in ecu tuning as the post cat o2 gets “eliminated” From the ecu data. Forscan people would probably know how to disable it as well. (Haven’t taken a dive into forscan yet) there is mechanical work arounds as well sometimes like a deeper bung for the second o2 sensor. Maybe spd can shine light on this.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think it’s sounds great, I’ll be getting a set for sure.
I’d like to throw my two cents into the ring here about these half truths about gains etc.
having actual ecu tuned cars before, I’ll set a few things straight.

1) You most likely won’t get much or any change in peak horse power or tq without a tune. You will most definitely won’t get a drop in hp or tq.

2)On a boosted engine your torque will not shift to the right. N/A yeah that may happen. The torque gained from back pressure in N/A is a thing. Boosted engines, the faster you can clear those Gases the better. The turbo it self provides all the back pressure needed.

3)Spool up, spooling the turbo by having a clear path and free flow will spool you turbos faster. Most likely moving your torque curve to the left.

4)Thermodynamics, turbos spool from hot gases moving to a cooler area creating the gas flow velocity. So we are getting a few things with a down pipe. Better flow, spool and cooler egt. So again better faster spool, less HEAT soak, keeping the timing from being retarded from prolong blasts or hot operating temperatures. Take your truck to somewhere like glamis, the first burn yep peak horse power, and you blast and have fun on the skinny pedal, temps will rise your charge temps will increase no matter the size of your intercooler, you turbos will be getting dam hot if they cant clear the gases, your ecu will retard timing, and add fuel in an attempt to control temps and detonation, thus less power the more you run it hard.

So with out tuning yeah your power wont see more power, cause you are not changing any ecu parameters. Like (more) boost, (advance) timing advance, or (lean out) fuel. But like all turbo engines heat management is key, this is why we all want bigger intercoolers managing the incoming air. Down pipes and free flowing exhaust manage the out going temps. And if you plan to tune the vehicle in anyway these are pretty standard bolt on for performance.

And one last thing if you did put on a intercooler and not down pipes you are shooting your self in the foot. The increased volume means your turbos have to spin faster to creat the same psi at the increased volume, down pipes will help with that from what I wrote above.

sorry for the long post but thought I’d share as I just pulled my head away from my tuning computer after fixing a map for a super charged Miata on megasquirt.

Really well stated... probably the best breakdown of all the opinions about forced induction I have seen yet on B6G.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Negative, Ghost Rider...

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Negative, Ghost Rider...
And @BCRaptor

Bad (and incorrect) way to say it above. Not what I was getting at.

As opposed to the temperature and convection in the hot EG, the turbo and exhast system flow is much more so do to being under high pressure (resulting from combustion).

Imagine 2 scenarios, just prior to exhaust valve opening you have:

1. Exhaust gas at ambient temperature and normal pressure (i.e. post combustion and post power stroke expansion pressure).
2. EG at ambient pressure and a normal temperature for that part of the cycle.

In which would you get faster and more momentum carrying EG? I'm sure it is #1. Convection just is not that strong.

This was my criticism of the comment about the temperature spooling the turbo. Like you (BCRaptor) went on to say - its a pressure release valve.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Pro:
- less weight

cons:
- sound (subjective)
- modification of emissions equipment (warranty and local law)
- possible o2 sensor issues. ...
Less weight is definitely not guaranteed and I don't think it has been quoted for this particular system

cons:
-cost (obviously) and specifically bang for the buck IMHO
Sponsored