E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Meh. Probably no power gain and very expensive. Would need to be coupled with an appropriate tune to show any power gains.
Agreed! At $1600-$2600 I’d need more significant power and sound improvement. There’s many other places to invest that. Small power increases are what the Braptor needs IMO.
Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 block is only good to 400whp so you don't have to worry about a 2.3 blowing your doors off unless it's a built 2.0 block.
Ya said it yourself, built 2.0 block

I only wanna do CAI/FMIC+Charge Pipes, Downpipe, Throttle Body, and Tune basically, I like the sound of a downpipe to the drone of a turboback

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hmmm, not really what I was asking. You said the 2.3l BLOCK is limiting max power. That doesn't sound correct.
https://www.focusrs.org/threads/why-ecoboost-mustang-focus-rs-blocks-crack.100282/

The 2.3 block has some weak points that will blow out before even the stock crank and rods let go. Some vendors will weld reinforcement plates to the outside of the block to strengthen it.

That's... not how that works.
It is. An engine that makes 500 crank horsepower will show up as 400 wheel horsepower through a manual transmission, small car axle, lightweight car wheels, and low profile street tires. The same engine will show up as 350-380hp through heavy driveshafts, oversized offroad axles, heavy offroad wheels, and high-profile heavy tires.

If the 500 crank horsepower is the issue, and if anyone modifying the car only ever seens gains through a chassis dyno, you'd need to accurately estimate drivetrain losses for your specific application, and those are always going to be higher with big heavy offroad components.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would rather spend the money on a FMIC that is way more power gain for the $

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
https://www.focusrs.org/threads/why-ecoboost-mustang-focus-rs-blocks-crack.100282/

The 2.3 block has some weak points that will blow out before even the stock crank and rods let go. Some vendors will weld reinforcement plates to the outside of the block to strengthen it.
Thanks. Good stuff. Very unfortunate to have such a relatively weak block. They clearly could have gotten rid of that known weak point at no additional cost. I know Ford Engineering did FEA simulation and saw this weak spot. Almost seems like an anti-tuning thing.

Sponsored

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Performance Calibration is 330HP and 385TQ at the crank on 2.3. Is it a 15% drivetrain loss????

I don't think you can get to 350whp (400 crank HP) without a turbo swap....intake, charge pipes, FMIC, full exhaust and tune. I am sure this will exceed 400 Crank TQ....I'd image 350 Crank HP and 450 Crank TQ with these bolt on mods and a proper tune.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

It is. An engine that makes 500 crank horsepower will show up as 400 wheel horsepower through a manual transmission, small car axle, lightweight car wheels, and low profile street tires. The same engine will show up as 350-380hp through heavy driveshafts, oversized offroad axles, heavy offroad wheels, and high-profile heavy tires.

If the 500 crank horsepower is the issue, and if anyone modifying the car only ever seens gains through a chassis dyno, you'd need to accurately estimate drivetrain losses for your specific application, and those are always going to be higher with big heavy offroad components.
I will go one step further, usually limitations are not typically because of Horsepower (although fuel flow is a notable exception), typically the problems are related to peak torque or detonation threshold for the drivetrain in question.

An engine (and surrounding components) making 500 ft/lbs of torque but only 250 HP (2626 rpm) needs to be much stouter than than an engine which makes 250 ft/lbs of torque and 500 HP (10,504 rpm). Certainly, there is more to it than just block strength (piston speed, valve float, etc), but generally what I am pointing out is accurate.

Last edited:

DoYouBronco

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hpbuilt.shop
Vehicle(s)
Gen2 Raptor Midtravel / TowRunner F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Throwing them on will get some lower egt’s and deeper exhaust note. Will have to see how the 3.0 ecu likes them. I know the 2.7 was confused and needed a tune.

on some of the raptors we tested with high flow catted pipes, the o2 sensors detected more airflow and added more fuel to bring up the temps back into the factory range. in some cases it added high end power, in some cases it reduced low end torque and made the afrs a tad rich.

bottom line, great mod for better sound, tune not required but highly recommend.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
An engine (and surrounding components) making 500 ft/lbs of torque but only 250 HP (2626 rpm) needs to be much stouter than than an engine which makes 250 ft/lbs of torque and 500 HP (10,504 rpm). Certainly, there is more to it than just block strength (piston speed, valve float, etc), but generally what I am pointing out is accurate.
Not true, depends on what precisely you mean by "stout". Different components of said engines need to be more or less strong in each scenario. Perhaps if in both scenarios you are talking normally aspirated (or at least apples to apples) you might argue the former would demand more displacement and hence a much larger/heavier overall system. Also, high rpm engines require their own flavor of stout, specifically very high strength to weight rotating and reciprocating components.

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This sounds pretty damn good for a bronco.

It says there is a power gain, better MPG on their site but doesn’t give specifics. Also saw that you wouldn’t need a tune… but not sure. I like the sound, are there any competitors you know of?

Sponsored

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I like this. Sounds great.

How much is the DP?

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

having a dyno to verify actual gains would probably help sales

monsterfd

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 raptor widebody 37s, 2018 raptor 2018 JKU 35s
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

having a dyno to verify actual gains would probably help sales
without a tune a dyno would most likely shift the tq curve to the right. a drop in low end tq would hurt sales, but hey it sounds cool!
Sponsored