Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Checked the tech specs of the Braptor and it shows it takes just regular.

I thought the 2.7 was rated for more HP if you use premium?

What are you guys using for the braptor?

is 91 or 93 needed?
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor Fuel Octane 1663767316839
Sponsored

OP
OP
FellowM3

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Bump bump lol

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I will run 93 also. I run 93 now on my GEN3 raptor and my Wildtrak. High octane gas is better for the engine.

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’ll be running premium. My last two vehicles required it, so might as well keep with it.

Sponsored

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I worked for a major multinational oil company for my entire career (although not in fuel formulation). If your stock engine is recommended for regular use regular. If you’re at altitude, towing and/or high temp that results in pinging then move to higher octane gasoline in those situations.

More important to your engine than buying unnecessary octane is the quality of the additive package added to the base gasoline. Using one of the “major” brands will get you that, but other oil companies are getting better additives (designated as Top Tier) over time (all gasolines are required to have some level of additive).

But if you perceive a benefit from running premium and money’s not an issue, run it. I’m not aware of any significant negatives.

OP
OP
FellowM3

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I worked for a major multinational oil company for my entire career (although not in fuel formulation). If your stock engine is recommended for regular use regular. If you’re at altitude, towing and/or high temp that results in pinging then move to higher octane gasoline in those situations.

More important to your engine than buying unnecessary octane is the quality of the additive package added to the base gasoline. Using one of the “major” brands will get you that, but other oil companies are getting better additives (designated as Top Tier) over time (all gasolines are required to have some level of additive).

But if you perceive a benefit from running premium and money’s not an issue, run it. I’m not aware of any significant negatives.
This was my thought and why I asked. If there is no benefit and 87 is recommended, I was thinking of doing that…until I tune it

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

for reference, I always ran 92/93 in my 3.5TT, its night and day difference vs running 87 specially on Fords ecoboost engines and the way they map.

onthelookout

Raptor
First Name
C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m guessing it may be similar to the 2.3/2.7 where the owner’s manual stated the vehicle operates on 87 but 91+ will increase performance.

“For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.”

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I just want to second this. Don't use cheap gas, the top tier additives really do make a ton of difference. I worked for an oil company for over a decade, and it isn't just marketing, it is better for efficiency and the reliability of an engine.

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
for reference, I always ran 92/93 in my 3.5TT, its night and day difference vs running 87 specially on Fords ecoboost engines and the way they map.
I agree, my 2017 3.5 TT was much better on the recommended 92 Premium gas. From what I have read, the Raptor recommends regular. So it may not have been tuned for the higher octane.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I agree, my 2017 3.5 TT was much better on the recommended 92 Premium gas. From what I have read, the Raptor recommends regular. So it may not have been tuned for the higher octane.
Although a custom tune can tweak how the fuel map table ranges are, the OEM tune has plenty of breathing room to make changes based on what it sees from the appropriate sensors. These engines are not like old school crap where the timing retard/advance is more locked specially when dealing with new technology like cam phasers and better PCM software.

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So in California we only have 91 octane as premium fuel. I’ve been running it for my first 10k miles as I assumed it was required. Reading this it seems 87 is the requirement but are folks actually running it? Based on gas prices it’s literally a $5ish difference per fill up. I’m guessing the difference is larger in states with 93

lewishamilton

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How are you guys feeling about this? I did 87 once and 91 once but can't really tell the difference

baozebub

Black Diamond
First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Costco Regular Unleaded. 2.7L runs smooth and plenty of power for when I need it.

If not Costco, then 76 or Chevron
Sponsored