First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Seriously curious what’s funny. Rock crawling on 37’s with upgraded suspension, rack, etc. how is the raptor that much better?
Raptor has bigger axles and differentials front and rear. Raptor has reinforced frame in several key places.

Who has a suspension out that has the same travel as a raptor does? 13" and 14" rear?

sorry BUT the Warthog is better. I am sure you can contact Lite Brite and ask if you can come along and see if you can do the same course.

In their 1st video, there was a bronco on 37s behind them and it got stuck on the same obstacle and had to be winched up.

Let me see if I can find the video.
Yea, I saw that video also

Except they didn't say that. They conjectured a modified Bronco with aftermarket suspension and 37" tires could do the same trails.
I think you're projecting.
Yes you can lift a Bronco and put 37's under it. Who has a suspension set up out that offers the same 13" travel front and 14" rear? Its going to take a lot of modifications to get to the strength the Raptor driveline has. Upper and lower control arms, new tie rods, steering rack and more. Axles and differentials are stronger also.
Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The Bronco Raptor is better at being wider and not fitting on trails.

I need to stick to the tech threads. It's like talking with a bunch of middle school children around here sometimes.

Let me try. I think Bronco Raptor owners don't understand they bought just a modified Bronco. At a subconscious level they can't admit they bought it because they care what other people think about their cars.
You are trolling the Raptor forums, why. I had a Badlands on order until March of 22 when offered a Raptor. Why take the Raptor. It was less then it would be to modify the Badlands to run 37's unless your just running on the street. For honest to goodness rock crawling you will need stronger tie rods, stronger steering rack, maybe stronger axles, you will need new a-arms, long travel suspension. And you still do not have all the other stronger components that the raptor does. Are you going to be able to get 13" front suspension travel and 14" rear?

Just modified Bronco, lol. If that makes you feel better. It's a Factory Modified and reenforced Bronco. It has more power, more suspension, stronger frame, stronger differentials, stronger axles and stronger suspension. And a Warranty

Really do not care what others think about what I drive. I drive what I like, and can afford.

The Raptor is a shirt that is 2 sizes too big. That is why I'm not pursuing purchase anymore.
It is not "just better" if it doesn't fit on the trails I like to run.
It is not more capable on the trails it doesn't fit on, it's less capable.

It is more modified, and more capable for faster and/or wider trails than a stock Bronco.

I've watched that video and most (all?) Raptor videos (except LiteBrite because I can't stand that screechy voice yelling into the camera).
And sometimes Vaughn acts like a middle-schooler...
Seems to me you're very jealous of the Raptor. You wanted to buy one and could. Now you come in here bashing them because you couldn't get one.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thx for your addition to the conversation. I stand by my statement 100%. Blindly throwing money around just to say ‘look at me! I paid the most!’ And expecting that to mean you are the best is immature. That wide ass Raptor would be in pieces after one trip through Slade or Tellico With those flares.
I was truly disappointed in the Raptor. Desert and wide open crawler only.
I agree there is some very tight stuff in Slade. There are also areas of Slade that would be no problem. Spent 4 days up there in my Brothers jeep in August.

Where is this Tellico you are talking about? Is it near Tellico Plains TN?

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@FLSTFI Dave You're right. I'm jealous because I can't afford a Bronco Raptor. I just wanted to be one of the cool kids.
Enjoy! (y)

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree there is some very tight stuff in Slade. There are also areas of Slade that would be no problem. Spent 4 days up there in my Brothers jeep in August.

Where is this Tellico you are talking about? Is it near Tellico Plains TN?
Used to be. Well, it was on the NC side.
Shut down.
Quick article below.
Coming from E Tenn, you probably already knew this anyway, but this is for general info/lesson for all.
Take care and tread lightly.
Here in our neck of the woods good free trails are harder to find as time goes on. You end up paying to go to Gulches, Windrock, or the pass for Uwharrie.

https://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/magazine/february-2009/tellico-off-road-vehicle-area/

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The simple truth is the Raptor looks too wide for NE Trails. If I see some out on the trails proving otherwise, I'll re-consider. If Ford put a N/A V8 in a Bronco as wide as a Raptor, maybe I'd be swayed, but would probably just retrofit the V8 into a stock width Bronco. Turbo motors and V6's suck. Put them together and you have the worst of all worlds.
And before you get all upset, I have a V6 turbo in my Badlands, too.

I'll be adding Icon CDEV IIC (stage 8 or custom), or if I procrastinate too long maybe the SDI EClick will be available. I already reached out to SDI and it sounds like too long of a wait time for me.

After that I'll consider portal axles, depending on the increase in width and maximum tire size I can use with that increase in width. Unfortunately, I have a feeling portals with 40's will still be too wide for NE USA, but I'm looking at Wolf and 74Weld.

I wish Ford had NE trails in mind when the made the Raptor, but I think they were lazy and just used the same old Raptor MO. It would have saved me a lot of money if Ford created the build I wanted.
I'm not salty over it. Mine will be unique. A 1/2 priced Mercedes gwagen 4x4 squared if I go with portals.

I was going to put LeTech portals on my 2010 G550, but 10 year old mercedes have too many reliability issues. $70k for the axles was a bit hard to swallow, too. Werewolf Portals are only $15k for the G Class. If the Bronco didn't come out I would have done those in a heart beat.

https://werewolftech.com/en/catalog/portal-axles/portal-gearboxes-for-ford-bronco-2021
Looks like they dropped the price from $24k to only $16k! Very tempting.

74Weld does not have Bronco portals out yet, but here is the Jeep page for reference. They make portals for the Bronco KOH race trucks.
https://motorsports.74weld.com/jeepportal/

I'd be interested to see a stock Raptor on an RTI ramp to get a better idea on how much of that extra wheel travel is usable for me. It's unfortunate Ford had to make it so wide. I think the increase in width negates the increase in wheel travel, for me. Shouldn't have to say for me, but I guess I need to be pedantic.

It's a shame some Raptor owners can't read my opinion on it without taking it personally, like I insulted their Mom, Wife, Daughter. There's plenty of issues with the Badlands and Bronco in general, like being too wide, V6 instead of I6, no V8, shitty interior plastic quality.
No car is perfect for me, that's why I've been through 11 different models across 8 different manufacturers ranging from commuter, to muscle, to sports car, to 4x4. Plus one sport bike I lay'd down on tail of the dragon and rode it back to NY 1 armed. Messed my shoulder up and it was hard to move for months. Don't read 1 armed wrong, I didn't lose it, thank God.

The Bronco, my first Ford, is a lot of fun, but I'm fairly certain (by past history) another model will tickle my fancy in a few years (even though that sounds implausible right now) and I'll have to try something new. If I didn't have to pay for a garage space where the attendants damage your car I'd be pursuing a new ZR1 for a second play toy. I kind of miss sports cars some times, but 4x4's are way better!

Oh, and I usually browse this site by 'What's New', not by Forums. It caught me before by posting in a thread on the 2.3 section. I assumed I was in the video/pic section.

Enjoy your Broncos! 🍻

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Used to be. Well, it was on the NC side.
Shut down.
Quick article below.
Coming from E Tenn, you probably already knew this anyway, but this is for general info/lesson for all.
Take care and tread lightly.
Here in our neck of the woods good free trails are harder to find as time goes on. You end up paying to go to Gulches, Windrock, or the pass for Uwharrie.

https://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/magazine/february-2009/tellico-off-road-vehicle-area/
Yes, it a big issue around here Free trailer being closed. They just closed North river road which was a nice easy one from Bald river falls in TN to Gram county NC, along the Skyway. Also the ride to Nemo tunnel has been closed. More and more National Forest roads are being closed.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, it a big issue around here Free trailer being closed. They just closed North river road which was a nice easy one from Bald river falls in TN to Gram county NC, along the Skyway. Also the ride to Nemo tunnel has been closed. More and more National Forest roads are being closed.
Hurricane Creek is still open, and a nice, nature-filled ride.
Pretty narrow in places, though.
But as more and more people find out about it, the more it gets travelled.
I'd do it a lot more if it weren't like 4 hours from me.
Personally I'd like to find more trails in the whole area between Gatlinburg, Cherokee, Robbinsville, Skyway area. Make a long weekend of it, camp and ride.
It's beautiful country and there are bound to be loads of them around.
Problem is most of them are probably private-owned or restricted state park land.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hurricane Creek is still open, and a nice, nature-filled ride.
Pretty narrow in places, though.
But as more and more people find out about it, the more it gets travelled.
I'd do it a lot more if it weren't like 4 hours from me.
Personally I'd like to find more trails in the whole area between Gatlinburg, Cherokee, Robbinsville, Skyway area. Make a long weekend of it, camp and ride.
It's beautiful country and there are bound to be loads of them around.
Problem is most of them are probably private-owned or restricted state park land.
Hurricane creek trail looks interesting. Watched a video on it. Looks like a Raptor would fit, but a couple very tight spots would take very careful line. Would love to try it, but would want another vehicle with me. Interesting how you start right off the interstate.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hurricane creek trail looks interesting. Watched a video on it. Looks like a Raptor would fit, but a couple very tight spots would take very careful line. Would love to try it, but would want another vehicle with me. Interesting how you start right off the interstate.
I'll try and remember to message you with the next trip planned out that way, just in case.
It's a relaxing, secluded ride up Hurricane and one I highly recommend.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'll try and remember to message you with the next trip planned out that way, just in case.
It's a relaxing, secluded ride up Hurricane and one I highly recommend.
Thank you that would be nice. I believe the Raptor will fit, just q couple tight spots, watched a few videos.
Sponsored