rbernard1984

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63s Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just saw this on AutoBlog, seems like there are very few things this could be besides the Bronco.

The Ford F-150 'runt' Raptor returns, raises new questions
We have running footage of this mystery mule; is a new Raptor SUV in the works?
Byron Hurd
F-150Bronco.mule01.KGP_.jpg

The Ford F-150 Raptor mule that has been in hiding since first appearing back in June of 2019 has returned, sporting new structural bracing, a coil-sprung rear suspension, and likely a host of other updates we can't even see.

But what is it? Here's what we know.

For starters, while this mule is clearly wearing body panels from the F-150 Raptor, Ford doesn't sell a short-cab/short-bed variant of its off-road truck, and given the extensive structural modifications we see here, it seems unlikely that we're looking at a mule for a run-of-the mill F-150, even one as special as the Raptor.

Between the short wheelbase and added structural components, we're inclined to believe that what we're looking at is some sort of SUV mule, which leads us down another rabbit hole. If it is an SUV, which one would it be?

The gut answer here is "some sort of Bronco," but considering that this mule's wheels are pushed out to the edges of its Raptor bodywork, that theory still leaves us scratching our heads. Whatever this is, it's significantly larger than any Bronco mule or prototype we've seen (or been led to expect).

We know there will be two distinct Bronco models (the two- and four-door midsize Bronco and the compact Bronco Sport), but we haven't seen anything that leads us to believe that a third variant this large is slated to join the lineup. Further complicating matters is the fact that Ford's only existing body-on-frame SUV is the Expedition; the smaller Explorer is based on a unibody chassis.

This doesn't leave us with a whole lot of possibilities. Does Ford have a top-secret 4x4 project in the works? Hopefully, we'll find out soon.

Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule02.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule11.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule05.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule09.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule13.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule20.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule07.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule10.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule14.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule27.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule24.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule25.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule26.KGP_
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! F-150Bronco.mule28.KGP_

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/ford-bronco-raptor-mule-spied/
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is some beefy fuckin ifs.

EDIT: WHAT DOES IT MEAN??????
Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor spied testing?! D3ACC124-FC9D-4123-983D-18BF8D5D8E48

I’ve done some research and I’ve come to the conclusion that it means Ford loves fucking with us

Last edited:

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
People on this page with contacts in the industry insist that a full size Bronco is never going to happen, and this is a mule for a next gen F150 Tremor. I still don't completely believe it, but all I can do is hope that we're getting a FSB

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I like it, I'm just very confused as to what exactly they could be testing with this. Surely even with the reg cab/short box layout this is still a significantly longer wheelbase than the 4 door Bronco? Even if they were to make a variant this wide?

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
People on this page with contacts in the industry insist that a full size Bronco is never going to happen, and this is a mule for a next gen F150 Tremor. I still don't completely believe it, but all I can do is hope that we're getting a FSB
Why would they be testing an F150 Tremor with such a short setup though, I wouldn't expect them to sell one in that configuration. Very curious

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why would they be testing an F150 Tremor with such a short setup though, I wouldn't expect them to sell one in that configuration. Very curious
That's been my question as well...

OP
OP

rbernard1984

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63s Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like it, I'm just very confused as to what exactly they could be testing with this. Surely even with the reg cab/short box layout this is still a significantly longer wheelbase than the 4 door Bronco? Even if they were to make a variant this wide?
Unless Ford has something super secrete planned does seem like it would be in the Bronco fam, someone should calculate the wheelbase. Seems like its right around 4door length.

THEMANatwar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 F150 Flareside, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. Pretty damn cool whatever it is. Also:

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Unless Ford has something super secrete planned does seem like it would be in the Bronco fam, someone should calculate the wheelbase. Seems like its right around 4door length.
Hmm, a regular cab F150 with the 6.5' box is 122 inches, so you're right, with the 5.5' box it would be right around the ~112" wheelbase of a 4 door Bronco

Veeery interesting

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hmm, a regular cab F150 with the 6.5' box is 122 inches, so you're right, with the 5.5' box it would be right around the ~112" wheelbase of a 4 door Bronco

Veeery interesting
But think about it, that would give us a 2 door Bronco with a 4 door wheelbase like many are asking for...

Hell, I might even be convinced to buy a 2 door if it comes as a full size

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco R factory variant maybe? Those tires dont look quite as far out as an f150 raptor, close but not quite. Not hard to skin a ranger chassis with an f150 body. Could be a number of things. I'm digging the trussed axle.

**edit** after looking at it for a bit, I'm fairly certian that is an F-150 chassis. So disregard my previous mention of a ranger chassis.

Last edited:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco R factory variant maybe? Those tires dont look quite as far out as an f150 raptor, close but not quite. Not hard to skin a ranger chassis with an f150 body. Could be a number of things. I'm digging the trussed axle.
I was going to say the same thing. More I look at it the more it seems the wheels are just a few inches closer in than an f-150 Raptor. Especially since it seems flush in the back and the standard raptor flair isn’t there.
Sponsored