Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL rubicon, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so what changed?
can we add capability to regular Bronco?
seems to have additional support bars maybe (see pic and arrows below)
Ford Bronco Bronco raptor towing 4500 ???? Inked2022 Ford Bronco Raptor_details_11_LI

I don't think it is engine or xsmn capabilities. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

NM_21Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I read/heard "full steel" frame somewhere?

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Extra reinforcement and “uh oh we messed up an easy spot to beat jeep”.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mostly the Fox suspension, I suspect, because Bronco’s current tow constraint is the soft suspension. I’m sure the additional blue bracing on the chassis helps a bit, but likely isn’t the dominant factor.

The sway bar is very small, 17mm. I did some more cross referencing and have seen even Badlands, which is the flagship off-road system, includes the rear stabilizer. It should offer the exact same amount of articulation limits regardless. I will ask around but I'm fairly confident that nothing will change in capability off-road. I actually would like to get one myself.

Also I forgot to mention that this in fact won't assist tow ratings, that wasn't the intent. The factors that limit that are the suspension causing a low maximum tongue weight. I had originally thought after seeing the sway bar early on that maybe that was the goal but I confirmed otherwise.
The maximum tongue weight rating governing towing capacity theory is confusing to me, given that it is the same on all series except the very few that combine both highest curb weight and softest suspension. I buy the idea that at that point the available weight capacity at the hitch is limiting, but what about the much lighter trims on the standard suspension? Why would they only allow another 30ish lbs of tongue weight?
The HOSS suspension systems whether it’s Hitachi or Bilstein are very soft and the weight easily begins to compress them. I’m in powertrain not chassis but that’s what I’ve been told. And also have seen it over and over again first hand. It’s the same reason for payload ratings.

The variance on trims is definitely greater than 30 pounds. The heavier trims add greater weight overall the vehicle, especially Sasquatch which adds a heavy tire directly off the back. I believe a Badlands is only rated to handle 3,220 which is 322 pounds of tongue weight.

The limitation is in that alone because of how badly it will squat when loaded. Mechanically and structurally Bronco can handle twice that

Edit: Monday brain fog, you’re right with the 30 pounds. The tongue weight is always going to be 10% of the maximum pulling capacity.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unless they put the beefier transmission in the raptor?

Sponsored

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every auto news outlet is pointing at the extra bracing thanks to the muffler not occupying the space. I can see an aftermarket exhaust and adding the bracing. The frame is the same except the strut tower mounts and some suspension goodies. The brakes are larger, but I feel the 37s extra rolling mass kind of wipes that benefit. There is a tow/haul mode which I don't see why Ford cannot add that to an over the air update or update at the dealer since it is just programming.

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every auto news outlet is pointing at the extra bracing thanks to the muffler not occupying the space. I can see an aftermarket exhaust and adding the bracing. The frame is the same except the strut tower mounts and some suspension goodies. The brakes are larger, but I feel the 37s extra rolling mass kind of wipes that benefit. There is a tow/haul mode which I don't see why Ford cannot add that to an over the air update or update at the dealer since it is just programming.
Yeah I'm kind of hoping the Forscan guys may be able to figure out adding the tow/haul mode since they figured out how to unlock all GOAT modes for all trims.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Different suspension. Different axle. Bracing on the frame. Lots of things changed.

Sponsored

GRIFFINCONWAY

Badlands
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bigger/more powerful engine with better engine cooling, stronger axles, reinforced frame, better hitch, dedicated tow/haul mode programming, different brakes, better suspension.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Active suspension. The shocks make internal adjustments whenever tow/haul is selected.
Compression and rebound will be adjusted for the tongue weight. This setting would suck for wheeling but that is why its called live suspension. Set back to baja and all things are adjusted for a completely different purpose.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Active suspension. The shocks make internal adjustments whenever tow/haul is selected.
Compression and rebound will be adjusted for the tongue weight. This setting would suck for wheeling but that is why its called live suspension. Set back to baja and all things are adjusted for a completely different purpose.
I got bashed for saying basically this a few months ago here on the forum....... I agree with your statement.....

.......now let me see if I can dig up that post...... (not worth the effort to call the one who was bashing me the most.... the know who they are..)

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So a bump of 1000lb tow capacity.
When myself and others were wishing for a higher tow capacity on the Bronco, sooooo many people were saying (some getting mad even) that it couldn't go higher because the suspension was to soft, that coil overs can't handle, the vehicle was too short, etc, etc.
Now Ford adds a longer travel, softer, coil over suspension, yet the tow cap increases 1000lb?
Hhhmmm. :unsure:
As I see it, this means there is no reason why they couldn't have a Tow Option on the non-Raptor so it can tow 5000+. (y)

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so what changed?
can we add capability to regular Bronco?
seems to have additional support bars maybe (see pic and arrows below)
Inked2022 Ford Bronco Raptor_details_11_LI.jpg

I don't think it is engine or xsmn capabilities. What are your thoughts?
I suspect that much of the difference is the Fox Live Valve shocks. It makes sense to me that if the towing capacity in the regular Bronco was limited by the suspension that these Fox shocks could help significantly while towing. The shocks can adjust on the fly to current conditions. So if things start to get wonky with a trailer, the shocks can stiffen the appropriate shocks to help stabilize things. Also, they have a towing mode which I assume also sets the shocks appropriately to add more stability while towing. I see this as a possible reason why the Bronco Raptor has an increased towing capacity.
Sponsored