Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too bad that ”Real American” engine is made by a foreign owned company…
Never said it was was American American, just again a Big V8 as it should be

again, nothing special about a 3.0tt compared to a NA 6.4, and its not just because I drove a Hemi for 2yrs prior (‘19 Ram Rebel)
Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
what lift kit did you use, looking for 2.5 but can’t seem to find what I am looking for. And until anyone drives the 392, they should keep their mouths shut. I grin every time I get in it. What a great vehicle to drive.
Metalcloak. Paired it with custom tuned Fox 2.0s from Accutune. Metalcloak and Clayton both make specific 392 lifts.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... And 11mpg 👌🏻
Yep. Getting 10-12 with the 35s. Probably 9-11 when the 37s go on. And it’s 100% worth it. I’ve got a Ram TRX on order too. Long live the V8!

But like I said, I am definitely eyeing a 23’ or 24’ Bronco Raptor. I think a color matched hard top/fenders would look awesome. Throw true 37s on it and call it good. BFG 37s aren’t true 37s…more like 35.5-36s. They run small. Clever marketing by Ford though!

Captain Howdy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s a forum, so thoughtful commentary isn’t valued, and defective arguments followed by LOL’s and emojis are where it’s at. Got it. (y)
Yeah, what little sense of community to be found on this forum is grossly overshadowed by divisiveness. It's why so many helpful members disappear after finally getting their broncos. They don't want to deal with the negativity that does nothing more than defeat the point of bringing like-minded people with a common interest together. Oh well!

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still can’t get over the guy going on about a real American engine that’s built by a foreign owned company and calling the actual American built engine “foreign-ish” because it has turbos. Way to gatekeep what an American vehicle is.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I still can’t get over the guy going on about a real American engine that’s built by a foreign owned company and calling the actual American built engine “foreign-ish” because it has turbos. Way to gatekeep what an American vehicle is.
But he clarified: he didn’t mean American American, just American. Got it? Me either.

big trucks should have big blocks imo
You’re in for a really disappointing next few years… or just future in general 🙁

Last edited:

BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol. Yeah 470 pounds of TQ low in the RPM band is really undesirable off road 🤣 Especially turning 37s or larger. You know not what you speak of. There are a TON of highly built Jeep JKs and JLs on 40s with one ton axles and…drumroll please…a V8. Wonder why that is 🤷‍♂️
Do tell…..

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
other than some specific niches like rock bouncing and desert running, there really isn't much use to a modern v8 off road. you just don't go fast enough for it to matter. my Rubi is the 3.6 e-torque and I've never once wished it was the 392 when negotiating some obstacle or crossing a stream. I think the reason the 392 is so popular is for when you're *not* off road. I don't just mean mall crawlers, I mean leaving the trail and hitting the highway home. I long for more power in that situation damn near every time. That said, wranglers are well known to be "iffy" when it comes to on-road stability. You get used to it, but even after years of owning various off-roaders I still don't really like going 80+ mph in my JK or my JL. I have sports cars to scratch that itch. If we take both Jeeps to the trails, my wife insists we keep it under 70 (she drives the JK 2dr).

I think my point is that while v8 power is a lot of fun in certain situations, it really doesn't add much to off-road capability. If the 392 was available at MSRP, I may well have chosen it over the one I bought, but for a 50% price increase I just couldn't justify it. My off roaders are for having fun in the dirt and rocks.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some people have paid over msrp for Wranglers, but many have paid under msrp for Wranglers, including the 392. Won't link to another forum, but the information is out there. A loaded 22' JLUR comes out to about $65k msrp, the same 392 comes out to about $78k. The 392 includes other upgrades to the frame and suspension. Considering what motor swap shops have been charging to put a v8 in a Wrangler, the factory 392 is a bargain.

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some people have paid over msrp for Wranglers, but many have paid under msrp for Wranglers, including the 392. Won't link to another forum, but the information is out there. A loaded 22' JLUR comes out to about $65k msrp, the same 392 comes out to about $78k. The 392 includes other upgrades to the frame and suspension. Considering what motor swap shops have been charging to put a v8 in a Wrangler, the factory 392 is a bargain.
fair enough, but when I bought mine that wasn't the case. I paid less than MSRP, the 392s were going for $90k or more. Even at a $13k difference I'd have been on the fence but likely would have taken a 392. All really beside the point which is that people claiming the v8 is important for off road... Certain types of off road, mostly competitive, it matters. for the rest it really isn't impactful. Not that people shouldn't want one, but call it what it is - we want sound and fun on road. no need to hide behind the "real off roader" nonsense

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes but it still has relatively basic offroad suspension. Even with the recon pacakge.
bronco raptor has active shocks, long travel long track with.
$69,995 for the raptor vs $82,000 for a 392 recon make the jeep look a little over priced. Especially if you want to run 37”+ with active shocks on a 392 your gonna spend ANOTHER $10k easy to get it done right.
ford made a very smart move with using the 3.0. Keep cost down and focus money on other important areas like suspension.
that and i bet 5Star will have an E85 tune for this in weeks after launch.
500+ hp easy.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes but it still has relatively basic offroad suspension. Even with the recon pacakge.
bronco raptor has active shocks, long travel long track with.
$69,995 for the raptor vs $82,000 for a 392 recon make the jeep look a little over priced. Especially if you want to run 37”+ with active shocks on a 392 your gonna spend ANOTHER $10k easy to get it done right.
ford made a very smart move with using the 3.0. Keep cost down and focus money on other important areas like suspension.
that and i bet 5Star will have an E85 tune for this in weeks after launch.
500+ hp easy.
Just did quick searches.
2” lift kit w/ tailing arms and connections $2,000
Active shocks $2,000
37” wheels $1500

so easily $6,000+ in just parts. For a active shock 37” wrangler. So $88,000 vs $70,000 ford

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just did quick searches.
2” lift kit w/ tailing arms and connections $2,000
Active shocks $2,000
37” wheels $1500

so easily $6,000+ in just parts. For a active shock 37” wrangler. So $88,000 vs $70,000 ford
don't forget the beadlock capable wheels, easily another $1500-2k. Not to mention the IFS, which in desert running (where more power matters) is a huge upgrade over a solid front axle. solid axles are excellent in low speed uses, but then what's the v8 for? The raptor seems to be better positioned to work for multiple use cases, IMO

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
don't forget the beadlock capable wheels, easily another $1500-2k. Not to mention the IFS, which in desert running (where more power matters) is a huge upgrade over a solid front axle. solid axles are excellent in low speed uses, but then what's the v8 for? The raptor seems to be better positioned to work for multiple use cases, IMO
oh absolutely.
but yes. Longer trailing arms will help jeep a little. But i agree. Over all id take the ford hands down

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I gotta image Jeep is working on an active shock package, that is probably the biggest draw ATM. That would be a game changer for Jeep for sure if it was from the factory. As far as just HEMI everything, I dont like weight in performance vehicles period. A twin turbo design provides soo much better range than an elephant up front.
Sponsored