Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyotas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve been a big fan of the Jeep Wrangler ever since the the four door version came out about 15 years ago. I haven’t been able to pull the trigger on it due to the fact that after 15 years, Jeep still can’t figure out how to improve its reliability rating. If I’m going to spend a nice junk of change on a vehicle it can’t score awful year after year. Fortunately Ford has entered the market to force Jeeps hand on improving In this area. I’m going to roll the dice on a Bronco hoping they made “RELIABILITY” a priority. If they did...perhaps “THE RELIABLE ORV” should be one of their slogans. I’m curious if anyone else hasn’t bought a Jeep for this reason.
Sponsored

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1) Was planning on buying a used Jeep...2006 was the last year of the straight six which many Jeep fans say is the engine to get...but I own a 2006 (Frontier) ...did I really want 2006 technology?...and the headaches that a 14 year old off road vehicle may have? (no...since moving from SoCal to Nevada, my faithful Frontier has started to need repairs: radiator, fan clutch, cats , O2 sensors, and crank and cam position sensors...didn't want a repeat performance on a "new/used"Jeep)
2) A used 2017-18 (jeep) was also being considered, but there seems to be a problem with the V6 valve train...if the previous owner failed to keep up on oil changes, the clackty-clack of the finger followers ( kinda like "rocker arms") would show up...top end valve train repairs aren't impossible to do , but a good used Rubicon was $40 grand out here...did I want to take a chance on a used vehicle and get into repairing the engine? (no)
3) I owned a 78 Ford F-250...used it to haul the kids, wife and an 11ft cab over camper (heavy) I had to rebuild the recirculating ball steering gear box...due to the vehicle's steering needed to be constantly corrected while on the road...the Jeep has the same type of steering gear box and linkage... my research showed the vehicle may have the same issue...off road use sloppy steering may not be a big factor...but I have to drive on the paved roads to get to the dirt. ( no again)
4) A Rubicon, which is Jeep's top of the line off road vehicle has a straight front axle, which is what you may want to do rock crawling, but I live out in the south west where most buggies, SXS and race trucks have independent front suspension for "spirited" off roading... wanted Independent front suspension...this choice may be too special for some people , but with it comes the precision of rack and pinion steering.
'nuff said...hope this helps with your decision

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"Reliability" is much more important to me than aesthetics or heritage conformity. I don't go to many places "with Death in their names"...but even in the backside of a million-acre National Forest, the ability to drive out is kinda important.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been a big fan of the Jeep Wrangler ever since the the four door version came out about 15 years ago. I haven’t been able to pull the trigger on it due to the fact that after 15 years, Jeep still can’t figure out how to improve its reliability rating. ...
You can bet Bronco will get comparatively dismal satisfaction ratings as well. The vehicle simply has design features that compromise the comfort systems people are used to.

This forum will be flooded with people whining about wind noise and how the vehicle handles, guaranteed.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will put up with anything as long as it can demonstrate decent reliability .... i don't expect Toyota reliability but Ford has put a lot into this thing and given the company's financial situation it will be really sad if the Bronco is similar to the Jeep in dependability.

Sponsored

Section8

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can bet Bronco will get comparatively dismal satisfaction ratings as well. The vehicle simply has design features that compromise the comfort systems people are used to.

This forum will be flooded with people whining about wind noise and how the vehicle handles, guaranteed.
That's not really reliability though, that's just quirks and comfort. Reliability is the endurance, toughness, and longevity of the core vehicle systems that make it go. Anyone who puts a lot of miles on a vehicle and wheels into deep country alone should very much care about reliability.

ccsami4x4

Black Diamond
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Evoque
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The problem is that true reliability often isn't known until many years after a vehicle is released. I can remember when the Jeeps with inline six motors were new, when the 80 series Land Cruiser was introduced, and when the Ford 7.3 came out, and folks didn't realize how reliable those were until quite a ways down the road (but try buying one now and you'll see just how desirable that reliability is even in a 20-30 year old vehicle).

qnet

Big Bend
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
From my limited understanding, the Jeep engine right before the current one was the engine with the issues. I talked to some Jeeps guys at my job before buying my Wrangler, and the consensus was that the 2014 to present V6 in the Wrangler was reliable. I had no issues with my JK Wrangler, but only had it a little over a year.

My experience with Ford has been mixed. I had a 96 Explorer years ago, and the V6 in that was rock solid, no issues at all. I had a 98 Ford Aspire, that I bought used, and it wasn't taken care of by the previous owner, I had to do a lot of maintenance on it.

I had a 17 Focus RS that had the dreaded head-gasket issue, but that was taken care of by Ford. Other than that, it was a great little car and I kind of miss it. I only had that a year also.

I've heard the 2,3 ecoboost is a decent engine, a variation of this was in my RS.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will put up with anything as long as it can demonstrate decent reliability .... i don't expect Toyota reliability but Ford has put a lot into this thing and given the company's financial situation it will be really sad if the Bronco is similar to the Jeep in dependability.
I actually expect Crown Vic reliability on all of the Ford products. If fleet vehicles can take abuse then I expect them to build that durability into non-fleet vehicles.

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
... I’m curious if anyone else hasn’t bought a Jeep for this reason.
I'm one. Have liked the jeep concept for many years and tried to talk myself into one in 2008 but the general quality scared me away. Went with a Mazda MX5 to try the small roadster scene for a while and enjoyed that till old age and back problems started limiting my driving with it. Looked again at the jeeps a couple of years ago with the new models (JL) and again could not pull the trigger for all the reports of customers not getting help with steering issues.
Sponsored