Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm now trying to figure that if you do this and the shelf in the other thread, there's only 12" space?
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarryOn

CarryOn

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-350, 2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm now trying to figure that if you do this and the shelf in the other thread, there's only 12" space?
Right. The nice thing about that other shelf is it looks so easy to just have accessible in your garage if the need arises for it.

I did just remove a front door, slip a cover on it, and try to fit it in the cargo area. No chance itā€™ll fit upright when you start adding another floor. No big deal to me but others may be curious.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right. The nice thing about that other shelf is it looks so easy to just have accessible in your garage if the need arises for it.

I did just remove a front door, slip a cover on it, and try to fit it in the cargo area. No chance itā€™ll fit upright when you start adding another floor. No big deal to me but others may be curious.
As much as I love the shelf, the slide out gets me a tailgate again.

Sponsored

danofcrowhill

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I like it a lot! My biggest worry is that someone will copy it, streamline it, and cash in big time:eek:, but now we all have access to the original design. Thanx!:cool:

BruceMoose

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 f-150, 2015 Chrysler Town and Country
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome work. I am fortunate to have three car seats in the back seat full time, so I thought I would have to wait to level the back for a sleeper. With the tailgate, I bet I could sleep on on angle with the swing gate open! Just need to make sure I donā€™t wake up to a dead battery.

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It took me several nights in the garage, but I finally finished leveling off the cargo area and installing a sliding tailgate.

I wanted to build something like this to serve many purposes:

1) A more level area to sleep on when I'm camping and don't bring a tent or want to get off the ground. It's not totally level, but it's actually quite comfortable with the seats being at a slight angle. Also, the lip where the plywood meets the seats is a non-factor for me as my hips/butt rest on the plywood. My body spans the lip and I don't know it is there, especially if on a sleeping pad.
2) An area more secure, with either the top on or off, to keep a few tools and supplies. Out of sight, out of a mind is the main idea, but I do want to figure out a way to lock the lid down, I just haven't got that far yet. If I put a rubber cargo mat on top of this, I don't think most regular people would know it's a false floor if casually looking in. Heck, most probably wouldn't know anyway. A nice Bronco feature is the tailgate cannot be unlocked with the buttons on the doors unless the key fob is near, so I think I can make it pretty secure.
3) I go to my shooting range quite a bit, and like having an area to spread out without having to stoop under the rear part of the soft-top. The slider comes in handy to place some gear, and also will support my feet when sleeping on my back on a spring night when I leave the tailgate open. I think there is still room to add a tailgate table, but I don't need one yet.
4) I still wanted to have access to the factory storage areas under the floor.

I won't go into the build much unless people want me to, but the supplies are pretty simple. I probably have $200 in it, with the heavy duty drawer sliders costing about $100. The sliders are hefty, and claim to have a capacity of 449 lbs. I sat on it fully extended and it didn't feel sketchy. haha. This whole setup feels quite solid since it is bolted down to the factory tie-down mounts.

No reason I picked a red slider, just did it on a whim really. Same with the metal Bronco grill piece. I haven't decided if I'll keep either option that way yet.

I'll post some pics and video since a video really shows what all is going on. I hope others can get a few ideas for themselves after seeing what I did.

View attachment 239064

View attachment 239065

View attachment 239066

View attachment 239068

View attachment 239069

View attachment 239070

View attachment 239071
This is a beautiful design. I am going to wrangle my dad into making one of these with me. Thank you for posting the diagram and build.

Sponsored

Shark1247

Badlands
First Name
Kelly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It took me several nights in the garage, but I finally finished leveling off the cargo area and installing a sliding tailgate.

1) A more level area to sleep on when I'm camping and don't bring a tent or want to get off the ground. It's not totally level, but it's actually quite comfortable with the seats being at a slight angle. Also, the lip where the plywood meets the seats is a non-factor for me as my hips/butt rest on the plywood. My body spans the lip and I don't know it is there, especially if on a sleeping pad.
2) An area more secure, with either the top on or off, to keep a few tools and supplies. Out of sight, out of a mind is the main idea, but I do want to figure out a way to lock the lid down, I just haven't got that far yet. If I put a rubber cargo mat on top of this, I don't think most regular people would know it's a false floor if casually looking in. Heck, most probably wouldn't know anyway. A nice Bronco feature is the tailgate cannot be unlocked with the buttons on the doors unless the key fob is near, so I think I can make it pretty secure.
3) I go to my shooting range quite a bit, and like having an area to spread out without having to stoop under the rear part of the soft-top. The slider comes in handy to place some gear, and also will support my feet when sleeping on my back on a spring night when I leave the tailgate open. I think there is still room to add a tailgate table, but I don't need one yet.

I won't go into the build much unless people want me to, but the supplies are pretty simple. I probably have $200 in it, with the heavy duty drawer sliders costing about $100. The sliders are hefty, and claim to have a capacity of 449 lbs. I sat on it fully extended and it didn't feel sketchy. haha. This whole setup feels quite solid since it is bolted down to the factory tie-down mounts.

No reason I picked a red slider, just did it on a whim really. Same with the metal Bronco grill piece. I haven't decided if I'll keep either option that way yet.

I'll post some pics and video since a video really shows what all is going on. I hope others can get a few ideas for themselves after seeing what I did.

View attachment 239064

View attachment 239065

View attachment 239066

View attachment 239068

View attachment 239069

View attachment 239070

View attachment 239071
Thats a great set up. Love it. If you were closer I'd be trying to pay you to do a set up for me. Thanks for sharing.

Tmizzle

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

View attachment 239064

View attachment 239065

View attachment 239066

View attachment 239068

View attachment 239069

View attachment 239070

View attachment 239071
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
CarryOn

CarryOn

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-350, 2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like it a lot! My biggest worry is that someone will copy it, streamline it, and cash in big time:eek:, but now we all have access to the original design. Thanx!:cool:
Thanks. If I had more time and $, it would be fun to pursue that ā€œstreamlinedā€ version. It would be a dream come true as I truly enjoy these types of things, but I better stick to building bridges.
Awesome work. I am fortunate to have three car seats in the back seat full time, so I thought I would have to wait to level the back for a sleeper. With the tailgate, I bet I could sleep on on angle with the swing gate open! Just need to make sure I donā€™t wake up to a dead battery.
Just so you know, you donā€™t have to worry about a dead battery. Thereā€™s a button up by the rearview mirror you can push to disable interior lights. Vehicles will often shut off lights anyways after a short time. Try it out when you get a chance.
This is a beautiful design. I am going to wrangle my dad into making one of these with me. Thank you for posting the diagram and build.
Thatā€™s awesome to hear. I hope it works out for you, and be sure to enjoy that time with him! Trust me, that time is worth it.
Thats a great set up. Love it. If you were closer I'd be trying to pay you to do a set up for me. Thanks for sharing.
Haha! No problem.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@CarryOn - Bravo šŸ‘ great job! All of the diy'ers on this site amaze me. Now, only if I can find one of you near me :unsure: so I could get mods done...šŸ˜
Sponsored