First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ram 2500, 74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome job! It is functional and looks great.
I really like the folding platform to add storage deep in there.
The only adjustment I would make it to not have the hinge ridge in the middle, not sure at this moment how to do that, yet...
I could see using C channel Iron instead of 4x4's, it would add a little width to the platform, but certainly would make attaching stuff more difficult, as drilling holes for bolts with nuts or riv-nuts or something would have to be used.

Thank you for showing us this, all the different customizations are inspiring!
Sponsored

gooby

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i M-Sport, Black-Diamond 7SPD on Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really well done. I spy some B&T goodies. It's interesting seeing how people in the Bronco community react to the wait times relative to those in the NFA community waiting for tax stamps. If the ATF made similar trackers for Form 4's to what Ford is using it might make it a little harder to forget about them during the wait!

OP
OP
CarryOn

CarryOn

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-350, 2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Awesome job! It is functional and looks great.
I really like the folding platform to add storage deep in there.
The only adjustment I would make it to not have the hinge ridge in the middle, not sure at this moment how to do that, yet...
I could see using C channel Iron instead of 4x4's, it would add a little width to the platform, but certainly would make attaching stuff more difficult, as drilling holes for bolts with nuts or riv-nuts or something would have to be used.

Thank you for showing us this, all the different customizations are inspiring!
I agree on the ridge of the hinge. I almost did not even use one as it fits in there quite snug anyway. Iā€™m sure there is some type of hidden hinge that could be used as well, but I had the piano hinge from a prior project on my old Jeep I never used.

The whole shelf really doesnā€™t have to be attached with fasteners as the fit can be made so it is tight, and therefore removed if not needed until a trip and you want the extra storage until then.

As far as using a steel C-channel or similar, I agree as well. I was looking all over my place for something that would work, but they were either too big and heavy or too flimsy. An aluminum I-beam with proper dimensions is what I would like to try and use if starting over.

Really well done. I spy some B&T goodies. It's interesting seeing how people in the Bronco community react to the wait times relative to those in the NFA community waiting for tax stamps. If the ATF made similar trackers for Form 4's to what Ford is using it might make it a little harder to forget about them during the wait!
Right on! The NFA items really are a buy, then forget and wait item. When it shows or get the call, Iā€™m always surprised as thinking about that item hadnā€™t happened in quite a while. Heck, Iā€™ve been waiting for a certain custom handgun for over 8 years now. Might think about that once or twice a year. lol
With Bronco, they gave us enough snippets so we couldnā€™t forget about it. I was even getting a little pissed at the end when it seemed lost in the system for a month after getting built, and all of the trackers showed no movement or were locked up.

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Right on! The NFA items really are a buy, then forget and wait item. When it shows or get the call, Iā€™m always surprised as thinking about that item hadnā€™t happened in quite a while. Heck, Iā€™ve been waiting for a certain custom handgun for over 8 years now. Might think about that once or twice a year. lol
With Bronco, they gave us enough snippets so we couldnā€™t forget about it. I was even getting a little pissed at the end when it seemed lost in the system for a month after getting built, and all of the trackers showed no movement or were locked up.
Sorry for the derail, but you brought it up. :cool: I'm hoping the new eForms will reduce the wait times on Form1 items. The last Form4 item I bought took nearly 18 months. Speaking of custom handguns - single action, or bottom feeder?

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarryOn

CarryOn

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry for the derail, but you brought it up. :cool: I'm hoping the new eForms will reduce the wait times on Form1 items. The last Form4 item I bought took nearly 18 months. Speaking of custom handguns - single action, or bottom feeder?
Iā€™ve read they opened up eforms for a form 4, which is great news. Iā€™ve had to wait about 12 months before, but the 18 you waited is nuts. When I efiled my last form 1, it was less than a month, so hopefully we see the same for form 4ā€˜s.
As far as the custom handgun, itā€™ll be a 1911. šŸ˜Š

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm still working on my copy. It's slow going with a baby and with my shop far away from the parked bronco. Lots of walking back and forth.

I had to order more carpet, one 40"x70" wasn't even close. Two of them should do it.

I also cheaped out and paired up 2x4s instead of getting a 4x4. Can't tell now that it's carpeted and they're glued and screwed together.

Edit - all in, with getting gouged from my local small-town hardware store, I'm probably in for 110% of the Ford sliding tailgate.

OP
OP
CarryOn

CarryOn

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm still working on my copy. It's slow going with a baby and with my shop far away from the parked bronco. Lots of walking back and forth.

I had to order more carpet, one 40"x70" wasn't even close. Two of them should do it.

I also cheaped out and paired up 2x4s instead of getting a 4x4. Can't tell now that it's carpeted and they're glued and screwed together.

Edit - all in, with getting gouged from my local small-town hardware store, I'm probably in for 110% of the Ford sliding tailgate.
Glad someone is trying their own rendition!

Am I understanding correctly that youā€™re over $600 in supplies? I could see $300 if a person had no materials on hand, but your hardware store must be pretty spendy!

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad someone is trying their own rendition!

Am I understanding correctly that youā€™re over $600 in supplies? I could see $300 if a person had no materials on hand, but your hardware store must be pretty spendy!
Nah I was somewhat kidding. Although I had plywood on hand a sheet can be like $70. $100 for slides. Hardware can be like $50, $40 for carpet etc etc.

Lots of trial and error, and fun in the 15f temperatures. I have a heated garage, but that's even further away from the shop -.-

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Bronco sliding tail gate and floor leveling IMG_20220115_130159199
Ford Bronco Bronco sliding tail gate and floor leveling IMG_20220115_174813371
Ford Bronco Bronco sliding tail gate and floor leveling IMG_20220115_174742892

Still waiting on more carpet to cover the top piece, so this is as far as it will go for now.

Observations -
Can't attach the angled aluminum with the rear-most hole. Why do they drill that hole...

1/2" hardware is long enough to mount the angle aluminum.

Mistakes -
Didn't buy enough carpet.

I mounted the angled aluminum so the bottom was flush with the slides. This results in the bolts too high in the plywood. I tried so hard to notch it without breaking through but it was sooo borderline I just went through.

I may eventually swap the seat with 1" thick hard maple. That will allow for hidden notches and be stronger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Shame the pictures were taken down...

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

WTF? Maybe he took us seriously about making it a kit and selling it?
I wouldn't blame him, and I hope he does! More power to him!
Sponsored