Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had 4x4 soft tops. Never again.. unless it was automatic and even then it would be a hard maybe. In freezing weather, I even had one plastic window shatter like glass.

Sports car soft tops like a MX-5, Porsche 911 are nowhere near the trouble as something this big. I would consider one on a roadster, but not like this. Not again. "Be sure not to lose the bolts in the wheel well"?? I don't remember bolts on any Jeep soft tops (but I could be wrong, it was the 90s).

Maybe I'm just getting old?
Modern plastics aren’t going to shatter. Jeep soft tops are held to the body with bolts, just like most parts.
you’re either a drop too open air kind of person or you’re not I guess. This isn’t a luxury comfort vehicle. It’s meant to be used hard, to strap things onto, to live an adventurous life. Maybe you’re more suited to a Defender?

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man, too much complaining here. Clearly those complaining never owned a Jeep soft top. Overall, pretty much the same with some improvements. Yeah this isn’t a convertible top like on your sports car....literally 3x the surface area....it actually folds down pretty easy, all things considered. It also uninstalls completely pretty fast. And like many have said before, if a thief wants in, they will get in the fastest way possible....cut or smash, grab and run.....not slowly remove panels. Keep it in garage, well lit area, or keep all doors unlocked and valuables removed.

personally I want dual tops...hard top will be on 9 months out of the year and any long trips. If the soft top life ain’t for you, don’t get it. But for me, the ability to basically take the top down in 5 min or less is pretty nice.

Sponsored

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. When I reinstalled everything, I took every security measure possible for piece of mind. Takes me a bit longer to remove some of these times when I need to work on or service but its worth it at this point. Its been 7yrs since all that happened.
curious what measures you took. I would like to ensure this doesn’t happen as well

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 2 Door, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modern plastics aren’t going to shatter.
When it drops below freezing, throw a baseball at your window and let me know how well your "modern day" plastics hold up.

This isn’t a luxury comfort vehicle. It’s meant to be used hard, to strap things onto, to live an adventurous life. Maybe you’re more suited to a Defender?
I guess people aren't hardcore enough if they don't like the soft top? By your logic, everyone with a MIC is mall crawling? Yep, I guess the top of your vehicle determines how tough enough you are for a real 4x4? Geeze, once you get a Bronco, make sure not to tell anyone that you don't have a solid front axle anymore or you may have to trade it for a Defender.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks sharp and functional, a well thought-out option for those of us who understand the tradeoffs that necessarily come with a soft-top (low security, cargo loading hassles, etc.)

The complainers here seem to just not like soft-tops, which is fair. Enjoy your grey MIC hard-top! For my money, this is a good option to start with since it's standard on the 4dr. Adding the modular black top to my IS BL a year or so later will feel like an awesome refresh on my Bronco, making me fall in love with it a 2nd time.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The complaints here strike me like bullshit brigade attacks on Facebook, which is why I left Facebook.

What do you think it’s made of? Unicorn pubic hair and glass repurposed from magic mirrors?

this thing has to withstand frontal winds in excess of 100 mph (highway drive, into the wind) and cross winds into the 70s. It needs to be water tight and survive relentless UV exposure.

It needs to be a certain amount of bulky. If you close it with the side windows in, you’re going to crease and crush their clear plastic, or at least mess it all up.

People around here are never happy. It’s gone from a love fest to one big bitch session.

If you think you’re smarter than the companies that built this component then go make one that’s better.

Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They had another opportunity here to destroy Jeep but again failed. Why not a power down glass rear panel and glass sides that can fold into the bed like flaps on a cardboard box. This top looks like the just said “Well it just has to be marginally better than Jeep.” Looks like a cheap tent.
look at this picture. The roll cage blocks the cardboard box flap idea. Even if not, now you would have an exposed glass window inside a cargo area that’s been built so that people can overland with this.

The rear door is designed for rugged, not luxury. Putting a lower motor into the rear door is just asking to break it. It’s also weight and money.

If you want a power down window, I believe that’s possibly available on a non-convertible, non-Bronco. Is that the Toyota design? Maybe that’s more your speed?

Ford Bronco Bronco Soft Top how-to video -- folding, removing and window removal 62836AAC-8B40-4210-BF9B-4B8611B98BA8

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When it drops below freezing, throw a baseball at your window and let me know how well your "modern day" plastics hold up.

I guess people aren't hardcore enough if they don't like the soft top? By your logic, everyone with a MIC is mall crawling? Yep, I guess the top of your vehicle determines how tough enough you are for a real 4x4? Geeze, once you get a Bronco, make sure not to tell anyone that you don't have a solid front axle anymore or you may have to trade it for a Defender.
That's not at all what I was saying. I was referring to there being several steps to putting the top down. Generally, if you think anything more than an auto retracting soft-top is too much work, you're looking for a different level of comfort than a vehicle like this is made for.

Also, If I can bend my rear window when it's -5 F, then that's good enough for me. It would also be fine except for scratches if a baseball was thrown at it.

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am considering starting with the soft top and if later on I can't stand it, I could buy the hard top, hopefully with more choices down the road.

I'm wondering if there will be aftermarket window sections with glass windows. And if so, what would the trade offs be for swapping the plastic window sections with glass window sections.

The side windows would have to come off for the rear fold up to work. The glass window sections would obviously need to be stored flat. But for opening the top all the way, the windows have to come off so no difference there. For opening the top half way, the windows can stay on so no difference there.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Riggo44

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (Area 51, manual)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My first comment on there... (I think). Understanding the tradeoffs... I LOVE it. The main reason (well... maybe "excuse" is a better word) I'm getting the Bronco for stuff to do with my boys (Age 16, 13 and 11). So, for me... it's a manual (so I can teach them how to drive stick), Badlands (so I can get the 33" and not wait for the manual/Sasquatch combo because I'm also impatient) with the soft top (for no other reason than my boys will love it... impracticalities aside). I get the pros/cons and to each his own (it's nice they have the options to meet whatever you're looking for). But, seeing this video did change my mind (as I was going MIC hard top with the roof rack). I'm assuming I can get the modular hard top after market w/o any issues.