Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe he had to fold the top of the roof down first BEFORE he removed the side windows?
Unfortunately not, he did have the rear door open, but that was just to make it a little easier to unhook the side from the side pillar. the top just has a flap of fabric that you lift up to access the clips on the top, then you pop out the sides, and it slides off. They really should have had some clip or latch to undo from the inside before you can access those top clips, or have just made those 3 clips only removable from the inside somehow.

I'm thinking I might replace the left/right plastic clips with locking carabiner clips, or something similar. As if you can't undo those, you can't remove the panel without breaking it.
Sponsored

the blue potato

Wildtrak
First Name
Mr. Gone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a suspicion that the MIC will have functional side latches for the rear part of the top vs the 6 torx bolts you are in this video for the soft top. Most of the hard tops I see for say a convertible, have latch mechanisms that lock down in at least 4 areas on any vehicle.

(edit: I stand corrected...just saw the MIC removal and uses undoing the bolt method. Oh well....)

Also - I guarantee that in the aftermarket space, someone will make rear side latch units (fairly big ones that should look factory) allowing soft top owners to remove their tops quicker than undoing the 6 bolts. That is a convenience feature that will make someone some nice $$$ that people may want.

Last edited:

the blue potato

Wildtrak
First Name
Mr. Gone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another thing I noticed... having on a few convertibles in my life, I never had someone cut my top. But I used to work in a performance shop where we saw that every so often - and unfortunately some of those tops (Miatas for example) were complete one piece design. As I look at this video, it looks like those soft panels are individual on the sides- which in my mind was designed so they could be replaced if something should happen. I think I Ford had this in mind - the ability to replace panels on a soft top should your sides get slashed, plastic windows get scratched, old, hazed over or even break in cold winter. It’s a pretty cool design.

BeachShredder

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG c63s, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This thing looks like a pain in the ass and on top of that, it doesn't lay flat enough with all the way down. I think I'll stick with the MIC top and throw in a bimini for summer cruising at the beach.

BeachShredder

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG c63s, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those complaining about how easy it would be to break in and steal stuff...c'mon. It's a soft top!! A razor knife and you're in. That's why you have insurance in case someone ever steals or damages your vehicle AND, why would you leave something of great value in your ride?? I'm assuming most petty thieves are peeking through the windows for valuables first.

Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a suspicion that the MIC will have functional side latches for the rear part of the top vs the 6 torx bolts you are in this video for the soft top. Most of the hard tops I see for say a convertible, have latch mechanisms that lock down in at least 4 areas on any vehicle.

(edit: I stand corrected...just saw the MIC removal and uses undoing the bolt method. Oh well....)

Also - I guarantee that in the aftermarket space, someone will make rear side latch units (fairly big ones that should look factory) allowing soft top owners to remove their tops quicker than undoing the 6 bolts. That is a convenience feature that will make someone some nice $$$ that people may want.
??? Thats the whole point of a soft top, so that you can go topless without removing it from the vehicle. Factory hardtops are supposed to be easily removable. Soft tops are supposed to just fold out of the way so you dont have to remove them.

Besides, I can remove those 6 torx bolts in under 60 seconds.

Some of the comments in this thread are beyond bizarre. Its like the twilight zone.

The soft top is awesome and everytime I see or think about it, I get more excited about getting my Bronco.

the blue potato

Wildtrak
First Name
Mr. Gone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I understand that. I was referring to removing the soft top unit as shown in the video. If someone wanted to do that.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I understand that. I was referring to removing the soft top unit as shown in the video. If someone wanted to do that.
I understand what you were talking about, I watched the video too.

Sal Gallo

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was fully decided on the MIC hardtop. But now with this video I’m thinking that the soft top will be much more flexible for days in the sun when I first get my Bronco next summer. On the fence, but might just go that way and then plan to buy one of the Grey MIC tops that go for sale when someone upgrades to the modular hardtop in the future.

9A4E54C4-FF6B-4CFE-9E72-AC9326C1F8C4.jpeg

D198AE88-4B62-412B-8645-D8CDFB5B0927.jpeg
I am in agreement with what Jarret is saying. I will make the soft top work until an acceptable hard top is available. Hopefully, matching color and modular.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This makes me soooooo glad the 2dr comes with hard top.

skater777

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the benefit of this heavy, framed soft top? As another poster said, it gives me agita to watch how complicated it is to put on and off. Why not just get a frameless soft top that you can remove and store in the trunk? Seems like you could go topless but you could whip it out (the top, that is) if the weather turns bad.

Also, if I go to a drive-in and want to sit in the trunk, this soft top would have to be completely removed for an unobstructed view. I'd need a second guy to help me, would need to store it somewhere on the ground, and I'd have to fumble with power tools at 1 am in the dark to get it back on. Framless top (if they ever make one for this) seems much simpler.
Sponsored