Sponsored

Bronco Sport not as off road as Marketing Suggests? What’s that mean for Bronco?

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi all,
I am not new to cars, but relatively new to 4x4 and off road.
In reading this article, https://jalopnik.com/multiple-ford-bronco-sports-overheated-off-road-lets-t-1846450499/amp, the general vibe I get is that through fancy engineering ford can replicate a off-road-like experience in the bronco sport. However, it gives me pause on their overall approach. I have a reservation for a 2021 BD Bronco 4 door. Anyone else worried about this? I know the bronco sport and bronco are totally different.., but this has me not inclined to just assume that means it’s better. Anyone who has better knowledge of what goes into a good off-road and rugged design have info/knowledge to share about why this isn’t the case with the big bronco?
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They (testers) have been beating up on the Bronco pretty badly at Moab, King of the Hammers, and other off road venues, and not one peep about overheating, or any other big issues that I have read or heard about.

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought Ford was advertising he Bronco Sport as the ride to the adventure and the Bronco as the actual adventure... or something along those lines.

If the Sport didn't perform well off-road, then I don't think it's bad marketing by Ford. In my opinion, they were pretty clear of the limitations.

The Bronco will be completely different.

Sponsored

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

we took delivery of our badlands sport last Sunday (thank you Granger). So far it is a fantastic vehicle, the 2.0 is amazing, the fit and finish is good. Am more excited than ever to get my Wildtrak!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Read about 90% of the forum. It’s most of what the discussion is about, one way or the other. Bronco is based on a well tested and strong performing midsize truck chassis and borrows driver trains from the Ranger and F150. Sport modifies a Focus based compact SUV. Totally different vehicle, totally different market, totally different use case. That being said, the Bronco isn’t a full race truck, rock buggy or mud bogger. It will likely be at the upper end of off road capability for a stock vehicle and competitive for the price in every comparable trim level. Like Jeep Rubicon vs. Badlands or Defender 90 in various trims.

OP
OP
DoubleADuster

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And you have apparently done zero research. Touch base again when you’ve done some.
I’m probably a bit less intelligent than you. However, for me it has been a lot of research and a steep learning curve. For example, I don’t feel it’s self evident what the difference between advanced 4x4 with automatic on demand engagement and 4x4 with part time selectable engagement is or the repercussions of gearing or a lot of the things I have relied on reading and researching to help me understand. I was only looking just to strike up conversation with more senior and more knowledgeable folks. Thanks

Last edited:

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Bronco Sport not as off road as Marketing Suggests? What’s that mean for Bronco? bubbles-trailer
Sponsored