Haramol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Khan agreed, though the discussion seemed to get a little tense from there, as we weren’t in agreement on the severity of the driving condition.”

Ford Bronco Bronco Sport overheat 1615851006312

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Differential clutch cooler. Huh, "Let's try to use a radiator to cool 80W fluid. Sounds like it should work."

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Didn't the Focus RS have an issue like that?

Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Autoevolution..not the brightest of the writing bunch.

the Bronco sport has a totally different technology than the larger Bronco.

the Sport is more in line with a Jeep Liberty and it’s off road capabilities ..

the PTU is more similar to the PTU in the AWD Edge and it only holds 1 quart of heavy weight gear oil.

the Broncos we are getting have nothing in common with the little Sport

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Printed right in the manual, same as the other intelligent 4WD vehicles (same message in the EcoSport manual) they produce:

"Note: A message is displayed in the information display if the system overheats and switches to front-wheel drive. This condition could occur if you operate your vehicle in extreme high-load conditions or with excessive wheel slip, for example deep sand. To resume four-wheel drive function as soon as possible, stop your vehicle in a safe location and switch the ignition off for a minimum of 10 minutes. After the system cools, normal four-wheel drive functionality resumes.

Under severe operating conditions, the air conditioning may cycle on and off to prevent the engine from overheating." -emphasis added

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as I like the Bronco Sport as a crossover, it’s clearly not an off-road vehicle in the same vein as the Jeep Wrangler-rivaling Ford Bronco.
Ford Bronco Bronco Sport overheat source-1

Deleted member 3063

Common ailment on FWD based SUVs in this price bracket.

Google "awd overheating"

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope this is a totally different technology than the Advanced 4x4 I’m paying extra for on my OBX. I’m just going to continue with my order and pretend I didn’t see this. 😬

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...curbs-the-crossover-s-credibility-157682.html
Yes, its pretty much totally different. Bronco Sport has a FWD foundation. The rear axle is driven only on demand (so the front is always powered). The Badlands model has a rear axle unit that replaces a normal differential with two clutches, one on the left, one on the right. It relies entirely on those clutches to send power to the rear wheels. Clutches work great when they have more capacity then the amount of torque sent to them, and when they can engage and disengage rapidly. But when you use them to do all sorts of fancy stuff like cycling on and off on demand and torque vectoring and such, they wind up being forced to slip a lot. Slippage means heat.

The whole thing also happens to have the exhaust routed close by and contains a relatively small amount of oil (which absorbs heat). So, they can get hot. FWIW, when the car slips into a thermal fault and disables the 4WD temporarily, it isn't a "failure" in the strictest sense. It is protecting itself and preventing damage. But obviously, when that happens its because the usage exceeded the design's thermal capacity; i.e. the engineers didn't spec it out adequately for that specific usage case. Sort of a circular argument.

The A-4WD in the Bronco transfer case does also use a clutch. But in all likelihood, it backs it up with a dog clutch for non-slippable engagement. This would be either a spline engagement or a face clutch that has "dog" teeth that mate into matching toothed face. You'd have to sheer the teeth off before it would slip. So, the auto mode will use the plate clutch here and there as needed, but when you put it in 4HI or 4LO (or when the GOAT modes do so), you'd be engaging the dog clutch instead of the plate clutch.

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You lost me at, " very fine story published by Jalopnik. "
Say what you want about some of the writers there but David Tracy knows his stuff, especially with 4WD cars and Jeeps specifically.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs