Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2015 991.1 911
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hard to feel bad for someone that bought a sport thinking it was a "real" bronco. It's like, did you buy it sight unseen? Personally I'm still not sold on the Bronco brand idea, but lucky for Ford most people seem to have gotten the memo.

Dude should definitely sell it while the market is hot and get the real deal!
That's what I did. New Bronco owner checking in - I had a Big Bend Sport and while it was a "fine" vehicle, I wasn't happy. I knew I was buying the watered down Sport model, and I thought I would be okay with it. Nope.

Sold it for huge profit (36k lolol). Found my 4 door after someone didn't want their order. Win!
Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My two cents on the Bronco Sport name.
I think it was originally going to be the Escape Sport. Lots of Escape owners do not want the new rounded Escape so they developed the Sport. Then a marketing genius came up with the name Bronco Sport to capitalize on the Bronco mania.
I'm in the camp that says it should have been called the Bronco II.

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was at the gas station today and a gentleman walks over and starts asking me about my 2dr Base Sasquatch. His first question was “does the top come off of that?”. After a few more questions he points to his Bronco Sport and says “I bought that 8 months ago and thought I got the new Bronco, i didn’t even know this was coming out.” I could see the disappointment in his face.
Bronco Sport drivers thinking they got a Bronco

huh huh huh…. Whaaa

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's what I did. New Bronco owner checking in - I had a Big Bend Sport and while it was a "fine" vehicle, I wasn't happy. I knew I was buying the watered down Sport model, and I thought I would be okay with it. Nope.

Sold it for huge profit (36k lolol). Found my 4 door after someone didn't want their order. Win!
I think it was originally going to be the Escape Sport. Lots of Escape owners do not want the new rounded Escape so they developed the Sport. Then a marketing genius came up with the name Bronco Sport to capitalize on the Bronco mania.
In an alternate universe where there's no new Bronco, and the Sport was just the new escape or a companion thereof... I would definitely consider it for my DD. My Escape has been a GREAT car, but it's no Bronco replacement.

Thankfully we live in the best Bronco timeline, and we don't have to settle.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can almost guarantee, upon digging further the guy would say ...

"My Dealer said ..."

LOL!

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In an alternate universe where there's no new Bronco, and the Sport was just the new escape or a companion thereof... I would definitely consider it for my DD. My Escape has been a GREAT car, but it's no Bronco replacement.

Here's my favorite version of how the Sport came to be released first. From another 6G member ....

Knowing that corporate espionage is a thing , Ford was leaking "new Bronco" intel but it was the Sport info that they intenionally leaked.
This misdirected other manufacturers to either ignore them .... or try to copy them by reviving an old offroad nameplate on a cheesy cross-over ...

..... and that is how the new "Blazer" abortion came to be.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the Sport was created under one of two circumstances:

1. The Sport was supposed to be the return of the Bronco until some higher up with some sense stepped-in and said "not on my watch." However, the design was far enough along and well received in-house that they kept moving forward with it. Thus it was the first "Bronco" out of the gate.

2. Ford new they had a Chevy mole and they slow leaked Sport designs in-house as the return of the Bronco. Chevy then designs the all new Blazer to be its direct competitor and is able to beat Ford to market. Ford eventually releases the Sport and quickly follow's up with the real Bronco as the ultimate punk job.
I disagree on both counts. The big Bronco has been in development for how long? It’s like they weren’t planning on doing it.

It’s the Sport that was the afterthought. But since it was a remake of an existing chassis the development timeline was way shorter.

The Bronco had years of development to bring it to the standards it needed. And being ground up new that takes a ton.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same guy who said to use “Mustang” name for the Mach-E, right?

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same guy who said to use “Mustang” name for the Mach-E, right?
The Mach-E doesn’t need the mustang brand, like the sport needs the Bronco brand. I think the Mach-E is cool on its own and would be less confusing without the mustang name.

Sponsored

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I disagree on both counts. The big Bronco has been in development for how long? It’s like they weren’t planning on doing it.

It’s the Sport that was the afterthought. But since it was a remake of an existing chassis the development timeline was way shorter.

The Bronco had years of development to bring it to the standards it needed. And being ground up new that takes a ton.
Agreed with this point. Early 2017 was the first announcement maybe? So they had to be planning it well before that?

For those following the Ford marketing from the get-go (probably many of the users here) it was clear there was a "baby Bronco" coming with the real hype around the "real Bronco". I remember the shadow picture from this article very distinctly. Probably clicked on it 50 times, haha.
Ford Bronco Bronco Sport Owner says…”I thought I bought the new Bronco” 1641357672318

This was in 2018 and the Baby (Sport) looks pretty close to final product? Probably real chassis and panels and not a prototype? Just guessing - maybe we know more about this picture now in hindsight. Interesting the author said at the time, and what I remember, was that they would be released within a few months of each other - seemed reasonable at the time.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Here's my favorite version of how the Sport came to be released first. From another 6G member ....

Knowing that corporate espionage is a thing , Ford was leaking "new Bronco" intel but it was the Sport info that they intenionally leaked.
This misdirected other manufacturers to either ignore them .... or try to copy them by reviving an old offroad nameplate on a cheesy cross-over ...

..... and that is how the new "Blazer" abortion came to be.
and Trail Blazer

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A friend once told me he bought a Kia. I said “cool, which one?” He said “ I don’t know, it’s a Fkn Kia man.”

Some people don’t know and don’t care about cars.
I would wager the vast majority of people don’t care much about cars. Sometimes I envy them and I wish I could be happy driving around in some run of the mill Ford Taurus, but no! If I had a Taurus it would have to be an tuned SHO with an upgraded intercooler and god knows what else. Face it…if you belong to this forum, we are the weirdos, the automotive outliers that spend time researching, obsessing and discussing vehicles.

Last edited:

titleistforged

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2015 991.1 911
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Honestly, the Sport was perfectly fine. Great daily. Comfy, decent gas mileage, has all the features you need.

I think having the Bronco in its name was an okay move. Bronco II like many suggested would have been solid imo.
Sponsored