Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad the driver survived, wishing they make a fast and full recovery.
With that said, so many questions come from this, why turn around? Was it their intent to drive this pass or an accident? Where did they attempt to turn around? Was there another car blocking that forced them to turn around?

I can only imagine the guilt that the spotter feels. Yeah go this way, that way, etc.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad everyone survived. It is super easy to underestimate these passes and trails in Colorado, especially to those unfamiliar with the area. Combine that with overestimating your vehicle and driving capabilites and you have a recipe for a bad time. She french fried when she should have pizza'ed.

hotrodjohn

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 1975 Bronco Ranger, 1975 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glad the driver survived, wishing they make a fast and full recovery.
With that said, so many questions come from this, why turn around? Was it their intent to drive this pass or an accident? Where did they attempt to turn around? Was there another car blocking that forced them to turn around?

I can only imagine the guilt that the spotter feels. Yeah go this way, that way, etc.
Because Black Bear is one way downhill pass and apparently they started going up from the bottom of it.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It appears to be still structurally sound. Wonder if that is thanks to the high boron steel Ford used for rigidity.

Driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!

Yeah, the passenger compartment looks amazingly intact. Someone inside would have been beat around quite a bit, but at least the vehicle wouldn't have caved in on them.

Black Bear Pass Rd. I was there a few weeks ago.

Ford Bronco Bronco Sport rolls off Black Bear Pass 224681497_10217007760700759_1763481611596900751_n
Ford Bronco Bronco Sport rolls off Black Bear Pass 224908647_10217007764140845_4329816685316156332_n

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There appears to be a shit ton of airbags deployed and the cabin doesn't appear to be flattened. I would suspect the injuries would be much less severe buckled inside that cabin compared to being thrown down the side of a mountain.
Same place same thing but on a wrangler. I was there when it happened. Only thing that saved the life of the person inside was being ejected.
Note: I always use the seatbelt in any vehicle I enter in, because statistically It’s of course way safer.

Ford Bronco Bronco Sport rolls off Black Bear Pass 1632719397393

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad everyone survived. It is super easy to underestimate these passes and trails in Colorado, especially to those unfamiliar with the area. Combine that with overestimating your vehicle and driving capabilites and you have a recipe for a bad time. She french fried when she should have pizza'ed.
R.jpg

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man...it looks like she was pretty high up. I'm not too familiar with that road but seems like she's more than a couple of switchbacks up like the police report indicated.
It’s a shelf road with switchbacks and VERY clearly marked and well known.

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And one of the scary details is that the engine was ejected . . . wow, that's a hard roll! Imagine the potential extra carnage if this was a full-size Bronco with all that extra weight, would have been tumbling quicker/harder.
After all the wheeling I do in Moab, I tend to goof on Black Bear.............then I do Black Bear again, and ...................well, it gets your FULL ATTENTION. (or should). I ALWAYS take my seat belt off on the hairy stuff-- would rather jump out or be ejected. If you haven't done it, you wouldn't understand. "engine ejected".

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
BB At dusk..........

Did it once --10pm during a heavy rainstorm.......That was NOT smart--we finally got to town and after watching our headlights on the switchbacks, people came out of the wood work freaked out that we made it ---- "The power of dinner and beer compels you!!" DUMB!

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did BB in July. The big descent is a one-way road. Signs are very obvious when you are doing black bear in the correct direction. (They turnaround every unlicensed vehicle and warn that only high clearance vehicles with "EXPERT" drivers should continue. )
The opposite direction has signs too. Its 2-way traffic until you get to the powerhouse road. The point where the road goes from two way traffic to one-way had cars parked all over the place. These are recreational hikers from Telluride, for the most part, trying to drive as high as they can before they get out to hike to the summit to get that special "selfie". I noticed the parked cars blocked all the signage and warnings. Its just something I noticed as I kept hoping I would not run head to head into a wrong way driver. I was on a motorcycle and still had to weave my way around all these cars/trucks parked on the road blocking the signs... Its easy to see how these women never saw the warning signs as they drove the wrong direction on a one-way...Still, ignorance is no excuse and they paid a heavy price.

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a shelf road with switchbacks and VERY clearly marked and well known.
Did BB in July. The big descent is a one-way road. Signs are very obvious when you are doing black bear in the correct direction. (They turnaround every unlicensed vehicle and warn that only high clearance vehicles with "EXPERT" drivers should continue. )
The opposite direction has signs too. Its 2-way traffic until you get to the powerhouse road. The point where the road goes from two way traffic to one-way had cars parked all over the place. These are recreational hikers from Telluride, for the most part, trying to drive as high as they can before they get out to hike to the summit to get that special "selfie". I noticed the parked cars blocked all the signage and warnings. Its just something I noticed as I kept hoping I would not run head to head into a wrong way driver. I was on a motorcycle and still had to weave my way around all these cars/trucks parked on the road blocking the signs... Its easy to see how these women never saw the warning signs as they drove the wrong direction on a one-way...Still, ignorance is no excuse and they paid a heavy price.
I've seen lots of videos of it, I just didn't know where it turned to one-way. Now that I know it's at the powerhouse, that makes a lot more sense.

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think that Bronco looks in very good condition considering it rolled 400 feet down a mountain. The driver would have been protected if not ejected.