Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I dont always wear a belt offroad but I sure as shit do if Im on a damn mountain! Mud hole, beach sand, riverbed meh. 400ft cliff pucker it and click it.
I had a truck rollover on its side while on an off road trail in the middle of the woods. To each his own, but I'd wear it any time I sit in a seat. An ejection can happen even at low speeds. I hope you wear one more often...otherwise who is going to come in here and give me crap.

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yikes, can't tell it's a Sport anymore...it'd be interesting to see what the interior space looks like.

Years ago when I first got into off-roading, I slid down a very steep hill about 15 feet when the sand embankment gave way when I was trying to pull someone else out of a rut. I didnt fall all the way down because a tree branch luckily caught my passenger A-pillar (crushing it and the windshield). That was my lesson to ALWAYS wear the seatbelt, because things go from routine to emergency QUICK.
And if you're off-road, it's nice to have a clip handy to keep your possibly locked-out seatbelt from retracting when you get out. That way you can put it back on when you get back in.
Ford Bronco Bronco Sport rolls off Black Bear Pass 1632702407405

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It appears to be still structurally sound. Wonder if that is thanks to the high boron steel Ford used for rigidity.

Driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!
Yes, the boron steel making up the cabin compartment. This isn't the first Sport that has rolled and they seem to withstand violent rolls. I think I read somewhere here or on the Sport forum that Ford donated some Sport rigs for EMS training to determine how best to conduct rescues and extractions. The end result that they had difficulty cutting through the A-pillar to peel the roof back.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yikes, can't tell it's a Sport anymore...it'd be interesting to see what the interior space looks like.

And if you're off-road, it's nice to have a clip handy to keep your possibly locked-out seatbelt from retracting when you get out. That way you can put it back on when you get back in.
THIS is SUCH good advice, especially for Fords. My Ranger Tremor will lock my seatbelt the moment I hit about ~3 degrees any direction. Its SO frustrating when off-roading. My spotter in the passenger seat is always stuck dealing with it. I use a different clip, but the same exact idea.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a truck rollover on its side while on an off road trail in the middle of the woods. To each his own, but I'd wear it any time I sit in a seat. An ejection can happen even at low speeds. I hope you wear one more often...otherwise who is going to come in here and give me crap.
Oh i know, there is some situations though where a little 300lb ballasst adjustment can save the roll or flop. I did on in my old cj5, i missed the rut entering a whole and went in sideways, started to tip so i left the 360v8 idling in low low gear and stood out on the doorframe like a sailing yacht racer and it crawled up out. I try to keep things fluid and add safety precautions as i ramp up my rambunctousness levels. :ROFLMAO:

That said I do hope the driver lives to learn and goes DOWN (not up)that trail again.

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

THIS is SUCH good advice, especially for Fords. My Ranger Tremor will lock my seatbelt the moment I hit about ~3 degrees any direction. Its SO frustrating when off-roading. My spotter in the passenger seat is always stuck dealing with it. I use a different clip, but the same exact idea.
It was a really good piece of advice given to me recently so I thought I'd pass it on. Plus, I love simple/cheap solutions to problems.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not sure staying in the vehicle with a seat belt would have been without injury either! Just Wow....
There appears to be a shit ton of airbags deployed and the cabin doesn't appear to be flattened. I would suspect the injuries would be much less severe buckled inside that cabin compared to being thrown down the side of a mountain.

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man...it looks like she was pretty high up. I'm not too familiar with that road but seems like she's more than a couple of switchbacks up like the police report indicated.

Kuze

Wildtrak
First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G63
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is this used for? I have never heard of a locked-out seatbelt. Sorry for the stupid question!

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I rolled a Samurai once over landing on the wheels, neither the me or the passenger were injured as we were both buckled in. Belt probably saved a broken neck. Of course I did not tumble down a mountain like that but.......

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is this used for? I have never heard of a locked-out seatbelt. Sorry for the stupid question!
Not a stupid question...most vehicles have safety features that lock the seatbelt out when it tilts past a certain point or senses an impact of some sort. This makes it so the seatbelt can only retract not extend. So if your vehicle is tilted and you take the seatbelt off to get out, the belt will retract but won't allow you to pull it out again. So now you have to get out of the situation you're in without any seatbelt.

If you have a clip, you can clip the belt together up by your shoulder before unbuckling, that way the seatbelt can't retract (even though it's still locked out). Now, when you get back in you can buckle up again.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a stupid question...most vehicles have safety features that lock the seatbelt out when it tilts past a certain point or senses an impact of some sort. This makes it so the seatbelt can only retract not extend. So if your vehicle is tilted and you take the seatbelt off to get out, the belt will retract but won't allow you to pull it out again. So now you have to get out of the situation you're in without any seatbelt.

If you have a clip, you can clip the belt together up by your shoulder before unbuckling, that way the seatbelt can't retract (even though it's still locked out). Now, when you get back in you can buckle up again.
Good info, I did not know this as my old ass Tacoma doesn't do this.

Also don't forget to buckle your damn dogs up people.

Kuze

Wildtrak
First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G63
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wow freaking genius! Thank you so much for explaining it!