buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It appears to be still structurally sound. Wonder if that is thanks to the high boron steel Ford used for rigidity.

Driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!
In this case, it sounds as if the seat belt might have trapped the driver for the whole tumble down the cliff. I instinctively buckle up, even if I'm just rearranging cars in my (flat) driveway. It's easier to make and abide by good habits.

Except perhaps in this case. Thank goodness nobody was killed, including that pup!

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that Bronco looks in very good condition considering it rolled 400 feet down a mountain. The driver would have been protected if not ejected.
I'm definitely an advocate for seatbelts, but 400 ft of that Sport slamming into the ground almost guarantees compression fractures, and a lot of them. Life-ending spinal fractures are a real probability. It's impossible to say she would have been better off, just because the passenger compartment held up. Hell, getting tossed (out of the vehicle) once, is probably far better than going through four hundred feet of spin cycle, while bouncing down down a cliff. That said, I would have been weating my seatbelt, out of habit.

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sad for that lady, but we will probably see more of these with the popularity of the Bronco, attracting new users that have never off roaded before, have no experience with this new vehicle, or the basic concepts of off roading safety and etiquette, buying in the publicity hype that they are living the off roading life... It's the second "Sport" model that flips in that area in just a couple of weeks.

JMcBronco

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And one of the scary details is that the engine was ejected . . . wow, that's a hard roll! Imagine the potential extra carnage if this was a full-size Bronco with all that extra weight, would have been tumbling quicker/harder.
Is an engine designed to break loose in an accident? Seems like a flaw not a feature

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm definitely an advocate for seatbelts, but 400 ft of that Sport slamming into the ground almost guarantees compression fractures, and a lot of them. Life-ending spinal fractures are a real probability. It's impossible to say she would have been better off, just because the passenger compartment held up. Hell, getting tossed (out of the vehicle) once, is probably far better than going through four hundred feet of spin cycle, while bouncing down down a cliff. That said, I would have been weating my seatbelt, out of habit.
Except you don't know at what point she was tossed out at and how far she fell once she was tossed out.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not sure if I would try Bear Pass even after I have experience. I would be puckered up the whole time. I am sure that my wife would divorce me sooner than ride that pass.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Except you don't know at what point she was tossed out at and how far she fell once she was tossed out.
This is true. Regardless, sraying in the vehicle would have almost certainly resulted in many broken bones, including compression fractures of the spine. We do know she survived long enough to be treated. That may not have been the case, if her spine was crushed by repeated impacts, rolling down that mountain. Like I said, I am a proponent for always wearing a seatbelt. I also know that surviving a 400ft roll off a cliff/down a mountain is less than likely, even though the passenger compartment held up as well as this one did.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live and wheel in Colorado and in Moab primarily and over the past few years I have noticed a huge increase in people out on difficult trails where they don't have the correct vehicle or experience to be there in the first place. They are accompanied by some equally as inexperienced person playing the "spotter" position. I explain that there are thirty people backed up behind us all because they wanted to try wheeling in their new Subaru or Kia and now they have lots of damage and need to be drug out of there. I explain that there is published info on all of these trails that people need to pay attention to so the people that do have the capabilities can go and enjoy their day,...not wait for some people to realize that they are way over their heads to get out of the way. I'm just saying do some research, plan ahead and don't get in over your head.

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live and wheel in Colorado and in Moab primarily and over the past few years I have noticed a huge increase in people out on difficult trails where they don't have the correct vehicle or experience to be there in the first place. They are accompanied by some equally as inexperienced person playing the "spotter" position. I explain that there are thirty people backed up behind us all because they wanted to try wheeling in their new Subaru or Kia and now they have lots of damage and need to be drug out of there. I explain that there is published info on all of these trails that people need to pay attention to so the people that do have the capabilities can go and enjoy their day,...not wait for some people to realize that they are way over their heads to get out of the way. I'm just saying do some research, plan ahead and don't get in over your head.
I also think the explosion of youtube videos of people wheeling gives people a false sense of their ability. I'm caught myself doing this with a number of subjects. Watching experienced people makes it look easy. Compounding that is that video doesn't really do a good job of showing the reality of some of these trails. Obstacles look small on video and grades don't look as steep.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who lives in CO, regularly wheels our amazing trails, I get annoyed with people saying a trail like this is easy on social media. It’s stuff like this that happens. Im sorry, but a 23 yr old is not experienced enough for this trail if they're showing up to BB Pass in a bronco sport and out of state plates.

my wife has driven her GC trailhawk down BB Pass, but that was after the countless other trails she had wheeled, watching me take the same vehicle down BB Pass. I didnt have her along when I did it in my high center of gravity lifted f150.

trails like this where there is a chance of rolling hundreds of feet down, I always untether my 2 large dogs, for this exact reason. Id rather them get thrown out than be strapped in the vehicle and be banged around, crushed & killed.

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They made a wrong turn wantng to go to bridal falls. So they were going the wrong way on a one way trail. They realized it and tried to turn around on the shelf road. Passenger got out to spot. Somehow front and rear wheel climbed the cliff side, cause she hit the gas instead of the brake. The bronco climbed the wall high enough to roll it over then down the cliff.

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a list of her Injuries.

Her skull has a fracture, two broken ribs 9 and 10.

A fractured hip on one side that requires surgery.

A fractured femur on the other side that requires surgery.

Both of her legs are on traction, the orthopedic team will do surgery to repair the fractures and stabilize them.

Vértebra T-10, L-1, L-3, L-4 had fractures on the transverse process. A Neck fracture on the C7 vértebra that will require surgery.

A grade two liver laceration.

Andrea has a pulmonary contusion and a pneumothorax on her right lung.

One lung is collapsed.
Many surgeries ahead.