Sponsored

Bronco Sport vs. Bronco Considerations - Thoughts?

OP
OP

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I posted this in the identical thread you posted, but I'll put it here too:

First, hello to another South Florida member! I know all about that 1 hour commute every day from FTL to Miami.

I'd like to ask more specifically - what is it about the Sport that you like that has you considering it over the Bronco itself? Sounds like price and features - are the specific items/features you're looking for on either? Just trying to get a better feel of what's important to you to.

Sounded like you said Badlands Sport vs. Base Bronco? Which sounds like it'll be features vs. not many features but ability to take off the roof and doors. Anything else you really like about either?

As for theft, I can't really comment as I don't have a Wrangler. But I don't think the parts will be THAT easy to take off aside from perhaps the fender flares. The door hinges are inside the door frame, and I think the bolts that require those wrenches are only accessible once the top is off and stuff (at least that's how it looks in pictures).

Regarding taking the doors/windows off down here, yeah, beach runs could be cool - and especially in our "winter" when it's really nice out. That's when I plan on taking them off, anyway.

I've driven the new Escape with the 3-cylinder. It was not as horrid and terrible as articles make it seem. It performed well (to the point where you wouldn't know it's a 3-banger if you didn't know), and while it's not the sound of angels when pushed, it's not like nails on a chalkboard like reviews make it out to be.

To be 100% honest, as i stated in my earlier post - Iā€™ve never done off-roading. What I love about the regular Bronco is the nostalgia impact, would love to have a tough car that I can drive into the ground, retain value and essentially, be a car that can age well - a classic If you will. Some of the posts here encourage me not to fear my initial love and desire for the Bronco. As soon as I saw it, I wanted to have it. Just yells fun, adventure and begs to be taken out. I can see myself lugging around my dive gear in it.

As i plan to keep the car long-term, what attracted me about the Sport was you can have the latest tech, safety features, rear camera, leather seats, Nicer audio, etc. all within my budget.... I suppose, more ā€˜comfortā€. However, I also have a Mazda 3 hatchback bare bones that Is about to fall apart purchased for pure utility.... and I loved it for that. Said differently, I donā€™t need all the ā€˜luxuriousā€™ to appreciate What the vehicle is and is for.

OP
OP

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
i realize you said practicality is your top concern but just look at this....
Ford Bronco Bronco Sport vs. Bronco Considerations - Thoughts? 6D17EAB1-58DF-47EC-B82D-135B5A3937D5
I canā€™t deny it. I may just have to go with my initial desire. YOLO, as they say.

OP
OP

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m also hoping that the Bronco will last very long without many problems. My Mazda 3 has 110K miles And has never had any problems

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To be 100% honest, as i stated in my earlier post - Iā€™ve never done off-roading. What I love about the regular Bronco is the nostalgia impact, would love to have a tough car that I can drive into the ground, retain value and essentially, be a car that can age well - a classic If you will. Some of the posts here encourage me not to fear my initial love and desire for the Bronco. As soon as I saw it, I wanted to have it. Just yells fun, adventure and begs to be taken out. I can see myself lugging around my dive gear in it.

As i plan to keep the car long-term, what attracted me about the Sport was you can have the latest tech, safety features, rear camera, leather seats, Nicer audio, etc. all within my budget.... I suppose, more ā€˜comfortā€. However, I also have a Mazda 3 hatchback bare bones that Is about to fall apart purchased for pure utility.... and I loved it for that. Said differently, I donā€™t need all the ā€˜luxuriousā€™ to appreciate What the vehicle is and is for.
If I were you I'd get the Bronco if it's within the budget. Like you said - it screams fun (and they look badass). You only live once.

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Iā€™m also hoping that the Bronco will last very long without many problems. My Mazda 3 has 110K miles And has never had any problems
It will be better than your Alfa ??

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the idea of renting a Wrangler to see what you think. It might set your mind on which Bronco to get.

But honestly, IMO if you are even considering a sport after driving a doorless Wrangler then a "real" Bronco probably isn't the right vehicle for you. If the thought of driving a Bronco doesn't get your blood flowing enough that you are willing to live with a few minor inconveniences then you just don't get it. Not trying to be rude, but I personally can't even imagine considering the sport. (Nothing wrong with it. It's just not for me.)

OP
OP

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I were you I'd get the Bronco if it's within the budget. Like you said - it screams fun (and they look badass). You only live once.
The Bronco will be within my budget, but it will be bare boned Iā€™m afraid... 4 door adds quite a bit... hard top on the 4d will probably put it at my cap... if not, the big bend perhaps.

OP
OP

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like the idea of renting a Wrangler to see what you think. It might set your mind on which Bronco to get.

But honestly, IMO if you are even considering a sport after driving a doorless Wrangler then a "real" Bronco probably isn't the right vehicle for you. If the thought of driving a Bronco doesn't get your blood flowing enough that you are willing to live with a few minor inconveniences then you just don't get it. Not trying to be rude, but I personally can't even imagine considering the sport. (Nothing wrong with it. It's just not for me.)
Point taken. Maybe Iā€™ll take the wrangler for a stroll.

Sponsored

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Bronco will be within my budget, but it will be bare boned Iā€™m afraid... 4 door adds quite a bit... hard top on the 4d will probably put it at my cap... if not, the big bend perhaps.
bare bones still gets you some decent tech. Apple Play, Sync 4, etc. 8 inch touchscreen.
The tires on the base are the most practical for a long commute (but honestly they're all capable). A/C is standard.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We should all berate it together, the CUV segment is the volume play in the market now. RAV4 outsells Camry, crv outsells accord.

There is fierce competition for huge sale volumes and ford shouldn't get a free pass for making a substandard engine the main motor. Sure the 2 liter is much better but most sports will have that hateful little 3.

Bronco vs Jeep is basically a 2 player game, that's a much easier contest to win when you only have to beat fiat

But small CUV? There's like 10 options of all different types, and all the players make one.

Have you driven a new Escape with the 3?

I've never done any off-roading either (not too much to do down here in S. Florida), but I fully look forward to being able to pull the doors and roof off and cruise around in the good weather.

It sounds like your heart is with the Bronco, but your brain is with the Sport (in that you're thinking it may be a more logical choice).

I'm thinking if you don't mind not having some of the features you'd get in the Sport, go with the Bronco - again, if I"m interpreting what you're saying, it sounds like your heart is there.....and you'll kick yourself for not having it if you go the other way if that was your initial instinct. Granted, you could always kick yourself for not having features too, so that's another factor.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you driven a new Escape with the 3?
Nope, I haven't. I'm not shopping that segment

But even if I was, I wouldn't bother. 3 cylinder is a fundamental failure. With so many options available there's no logical reason to consider one with such a major shortcoming in such a critical component.

3 cylinder cars are failures, who wants to be in this club
Geo metro
Mini Cooper
BMW i8 (sure this one is cool but for the money, hell no)
Ford escape
Bronco sport
Focus
Fiesta
Mirage
Smart fortwo

The real bronco is great, but the bronco sport is a poorly executed attempt to ride the real bronco's coattails.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
I donā€™t understand all the info being shared on the 3 cyl engine. BroncoFL33 states he is comparing to Sport Badlands - that is a 4cyl.

The 3 cyl engine was the primary compliant with the linked C&D review so not applicable here. The other C&D major gripe was cheap interior, may be fixed in the Sport - will just need to look when they are out. Minor C&D gripe ā€” rear space not as good as competitors -- another easy one to address by looking and comparing to your needs.

Nothing in that review would keep me from seriously considering a Sport Badlands. Iā€™d definitely want to test drive it before buying. I think itā€™s the best looking exterior of all the smaller SUVā€™s. Not as nice as Bronco but still good.

The Sport (or similar) will very likely be more refined and more practical. If it were my daily driver and I had a one hour commute, I probably would not buy a regular Bronco without driving it to make sure it really would be a fit (unless I thought I could get out of it at a small loss due to the initial scarcity). However, the idea of renting a Jeep is very good ā€” use it on your commute for a few days, donā€™t just tool around in it. Rentals are way off so maybe you can score a good rate. If the Jeep works for you, chances are very good the regular Bronco will be even better.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nope, I haven't. I'm not shopping that segment

But even if I was, I wouldn't bother. 3 cylinder is a fundamental failure. With so many options available there's no logical reason to consider one with such a major shortcoming in such a critical component.

3 cylinder cars are failures, who wants to be in this club
Geo metro
Mini Cooper
BMW i8 (sure this one is cool but for the money, hell no)
Ford escape
Bronco sport
Focus
Fiesta
Mirage
Smart fortwo

The real bronco is great, but the bronco sport is a poorly executed attempt to ride the real bronco's coattails.
Point being - you haven't driven it, so you can't comment on how it works/drives.
Sponsored