Sponsored

Bronco Sport vs. Bronco Considerations - Thoughts?

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello Bronco community.

I have closely been following the Bronco re-launch for some time. I’ve reserved a base Bronco, though I know it isn’t final.

Over the last few weeks I have tried to get a better understanding if the vehicle is practical. A couple of notes to take into consideration:

I currently drive an Alfa Romeo Giulia - it’s a lease to be gone in 1-2 years. Next vehicle will be purchased and run into the ground.
I have always been a fan of the boxy look, love the Mercedes G Wagons, but that is out of the question in terms of price.
I don’t do any off-roading today, but I do spend A LOT of time under water (diver) and on the beach. I do think I would do some very minimal off roading if I were to get either the Bronco or Bronco Sport - perhaps take some initiative to explore Florida trails and camp grounds more.
I don’t have any kids, though most likely some on the way in the next 2-5 years.

I’ve been drawn towards the Bronco mostly due to the nostalgia factor and retro design, which I love. I also like the idea of going roofless and door-less. The reality though is that most of my use will be going to work and back. We are talking about a 1 hour commute with traffic to and from work. So, fun and/or comfort is key to an extent. I do understand the whole comfortable in the uncomfortable mentality. I reserved a Bronco Base, though I think a Big Bend - 4 dr, hard top would do.

Having spent some timing thinking of specs on the Bronco - the Sport has somehow caused me to 2nd guess my pre-order. I’m able to get a Badlands Sport with all the creature comforts and tech for less than My Bronco spec would probably cost me. I’m perfectly fine without having the creature comforts, but... they are not bad to have either.

I also live in South Florida, which means there probably is some crime. I spent some time reading about all the issues of wrangler owners and theft of roofs, doors, etc. I’m guessing you are going to have similar problems with the Bronco, especially given how easy it is to take parts off, etc. All you need is the wrench? Where would I actually take the vehicle top and door less? Yes, to work.. unless it’s too hot. To the beach, but then worries of theft sit in?

Anyways - I have been thinking of this probably too long haha. Is the Bronco the right fit Or will i probably enjoy the Sport more, even if it isn’t the main big boy.

Happy to get some thoughts and input from the community.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

With theft an issue and your needs the Bronco Sport Badlands may be a better fit. The only way to steal the roof is with a sawsall.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello Bronco community.

I have closely been following the Bronco re-launch for some time. I’ve reserved a base Bronco, though I know it isn’t final.

Over the last few weeks I have tried to get a better understanding if the vehicle is practical. A couple of notes to take into consideration:

I currently drive an Alfa Romeo Giulia - it’s a lease to be gone in 1-2 years. Next vehicle will be purchased and run into the ground.
I have always been a fan of the boxy look, love the Mercedes G Wagons, but that is out of the question in terms of price.
I don’t do any off-roading today, but I do spend A LOT of time under water (diver) and on the beach. I do think I would do some very minimal off roading if I were to get either the Bronco or Bronco Sport - perhaps take some initiative to explore Florida trails and camp grounds more.
I don’t have any kids, though most likely some on the way in the next 2-5 years.

I’ve been drawn towards the Bronco mostly due to the nostalgia factor and retro design, which I love. I also like the idea of going roofless and door-less. The reality though is that most of my use will be going to work and back. We are talking about a 1 hour commute with traffic to and from work. So, fun and/or comfort is key to an extent. I do understand the whole comfortable in the uncomfortable mentality. I reserved a Bronco Base, though I think a Big Bend - 4 dr, hard top would do.

Having spent some timing thinking of specs on the Bronco - the Sport has somehow caused me to 2nd guess my pre-order. I’m able to get a Badlands Sport with all the creature comforts and tech for less than My Bronco spec would probably cost me. I’m perfectly fine without having the creature comforts, but... they are not bad to have either.

I also live in South Florida, which means there probably is some crime. I spent some time reading about all the issues of wrangler owners and theft of roofs, doors, etc. I’m guessing you are going to have similar problems with the Bronco, especially given how easy it is to take parts off, etc. All you need is the wrench? Where would I actually take the vehicle top and door less? Yes, to work.. unless it’s too hot. To the beach, but then worries of theft sit in?

Anyways - I have been thinking of this probably too long haha. Is the Bronco the right fit Or will i probably enjoy the Sport more, even if it isn’t the main big boy.

I would recommend that you drive a Jeep Wrangler to have an understanding of what a Bronco is compared to a conventional SUV/Car. It is not going to be "smooth" like your current vehicle. My wife's Lincoln MKC is incredibly easy to drive, and comfortable over the uneven roads of Michigan. My manual transmission Mustang Convertible is neither, but I love to drive it to work and I am am willing to give up easy and comfortable for fun to drive. In my case, I am ready to move from a low sports car to a higher Bronco, but I will keep it 2 doors and keep it with the base wheels to be reasonable for a commute daily driver.

OP
OP

BroncoFL33

Base
First Name
Slams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would recommend that you drive a Jeep Wrangler to have an understanding of what a Bronco is compared to a conventional SUV/Car. It is not going to be "smooth" like your current vehicle. My wife's Lincoln MKC is incredibly easy to drive, and comfortable over the uneven roads of Michigan. My manual transmission Mustang Convertible is neither, but I love to drive it to work and I am am willing to give up easy and comfortable for fun to drive. In my case, I am ready to move from a low sports car to a higher Bronco, but I will keep it 2 doors and keep it with the base wheels to be reasonable for a commute daily driver.
Thank you for this reply

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As stated the Bronco will have a completely different ride. Not to say it will be bad, but just different than what you are used too. It will be stiffer, and bumps, potholes, etc. will be felt more. Since you're in Florida renting a Jeep should be easy. But, I need to warn you the drive of a Jeep will be completely different than the Bronco. A solid front axle vehicle like the Jeep is in a class of it's own. It has a little play in the steering because of the pitman arm set-up. It's nothing you can't master quickly though. The Bronco will have an independent front suspension, and will drive more like the cars you drive now. We bought our first ever Jeep last year, and have really enjoyed the ride. Most of the time it's a daily driver, and it does the job quite well. I expect the Bronco will do the same. As far as the Bronco sport goes I expect it will be more like a 4wd Escape. EZPZ to drive, but it may not be as fun as the big boy IMHO. It's all in what will fit your needs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basically, if you want to go proper offroading (not just bumpy dirt roads) the big bronco is probably best. The Sport should be better for pretty much everything else. It is more capable than the 2017 Escape I had for a while (daily driver) and I took that on some pretty rough dirt roads even with stock all seasons.

mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Over the last few weeks I have tried to get a better understanding if the vehicle is practical.
If practicality is your biggest concern, I would go with the Bronco Sport. The Bronco is less of a “practical” vehicle for most than it is a “fun” vehicle, especially if you don’t really need the off-road capability. The Bronco Sport will be cheaper, have less road noise, probably drive better on pavement, better A/C, better gas mileage, less theft concerns, etc. It will have plenty enough off-road capability for *most* people’s needs.

That said, I am not even remotely considering the Bronco Sport for me. Practicality be damned, the 2-door Bronco with the doors and windows removed is just too awesome for me to say no to.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco sport should be on nobody's radar
It's basically a ford escape with a body that looks like a cartoon version of the real bronco. The escape is pretty consistent in being last or close to last in every comparison test ever

If you want that small cuv form factor go look at a cx5 Mazda, that's the drivers car in the budget cuv class.

RAV4 prime is semi interesting because it's got 300 hp and does 0-60 in the mid 5s.

The only reason to consider a bronco sport is if you absolutely HAVE to have a blue oval on your car and you don't mind buying an inferior product to get it.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bronco sport should be on nobody's radar
It's basically a ford escape with a body that looks like a cartoon version of the real bronco. The escape is pretty consistent in being last or close to last in every comparison test ever

If you want that small cuv form factor go look at a cx5 Mazda, that's the drivers car in the budget cuv class.

RAV4 prime is semi interesting because it's got 300 hp and does 0-60 in the mid 5s.

The only reason to consider a bronco sport is if you absolutely HAVE to have a blue oval on your car and you don't mind buying an inferior product to get it.
1. With respect, this is a crazy take without actually driving one.
2. Your zinger v. the Escape is baseless, as it #1 in the latest JD Power APEAL study just published. It literally #1 in its segment.
3. My wife is on her second MKC Lease. Both have been excellent. It is a derivate of the Escape, and the look and feel and drive quality of it has been excellent.
4. Much like the MKC is not much like the Escape, I don't think the Bronco Sport is much like the Escape either. Not that that is a bad thing, but go back to #1. You need to drive it to understand. My guess is that Ford will have done an excellent job transforming it into a nice 4x4 vehicle, based on my MKC experience.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1. With respect, this is a crazy take without actually driving one.
2. Your zinger v. the Escape is baseless, as it #1 in the latest JD Power APEAL study just published. It literally #1 in its segment.
3. My wife is on her second MKC Lease. Both have been excellent. It is a derivate of the Escape, and the look and feel and drive quality of it has been excellent.
4. Much like the MKC is not much like the Escape, I don't think the Bronco Sport is much like the Escape either. Not that that is a bad thing, but go back to #1. You need to drive it to understand. My guess is that Ford will have done an excellent job transforming it into a nice 4x4 vehicle, based on my MKC experience.
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but doesn't the escape have the same engine, a 1.5 liter turbo THREE banger?

Your wife's car doesn't have that and that engine is the main problem with the escape and the bronco sport

3 cylinder engines are not refined
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a32161895/2020-compact-crossover-comparison/

Sure you can get the top of the line bronco sport and get a motor with an even number of cylinders but most will have that weird 3 banger.......

Sponsored

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello Bronco community.

I understand the want of taking the top and doors off. That is something I'm looking forward to as well. My question to you is how much do you think you will have the top off? Living in Miami with the heat and humidity, it may not be as enjoyable as you think. When I had a convertible, driving around in the heat of the summer really wasn't that enjoyable.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I posted this in the identical thread you posted, but I'll put it here too:

First, hello to another South Florida member! I know all about that 1 hour commute every day from FTL to Miami.

I'd like to ask more specifically - what is it about the Sport that you like that has you considering it over the Bronco itself? Sounds like price and features - are the specific items/features you're looking for on either? Just trying to get a better feel of what's important to you to.

Sounded like you said Badlands Sport vs. Base Bronco? Which sounds like it'll be features vs. not many features but ability to take off the roof and doors. Anything else you really like about either?

As for theft, I can't really comment as I don't have a Wrangler. But I don't think the parts will be THAT easy to take off aside from perhaps the fender flares. The door hinges are inside the door frame, and I think the bolts that require those wrenches are only accessible once the top is off and stuff (at least that's how it looks in pictures).

Regarding taking the doors/windows off down here, yeah, beach runs could be cool - and especially in our "winter" when it's really nice out. That's when I plan on taking them off, anyway.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but doesn't the escape have the same engine, a 1.5 liter turbo THREE banger?

Your wife's car doesn't have that and that engine is the main problem with the escape and the bronco sport

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a32161895/2020-compact-crossover-comparison/

Sure you can get the top of the line bronco sport and get a motor with an even number of cylinders but most will have that weird 3 banger.......
I've driven the new Escape with the 3-cylinder. It was not as horrid and terrible as articles make it seem. It performed well (to the point where you wouldn't know it's a 3-banger if you didn't know), and while it's not the sound of angels when pushed, it's not like nails on a chalkboard like reviews make it out to be.

Hyperforming

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rent or borrow a Jeep and take the top off and see how you like that and then go test drive a new Ranger to get a feel for how the Bronco will ride and drive. If you are even remotely inclined to go for the two door or 4 door then you will be disappointed with the Sport. You don’t have to take the top or doors off but you’ll have the option. The slogan for the Sport should be “For when you’re wife said No to the real one”. ??‍♂

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you don't like 3, fine, but do you want to berate it or encourage the bSport's success? Success means more cash to Bronco future development. If you want a 2.0 4 cylinder, get the Sport Badlands, that is what my wife wants.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco-sport/2021/models/bronco-sport-badlands/

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you don't like 3, fine, but do you want to berate it or encourage the bSport's success? Success means more cash to Bronco future development. If you want a 2.0 4 cylinder, get the Sport Badlands, that is what my wife wants.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco-sport/2021/models/bronco-sport-badlands/
We should all berate it together, the CUV segment is the volume play in the market now. RAV4 outsells Camry, crv outsells accord.

There is fierce competition for huge sale volumes and ford shouldn't get a free pass for making a substandard engine the main motor. Sure the 2 liter is much better but most sports will have that hateful little 3.

Bronco vs Jeep is basically a 2 player game, that's a much easier contest to win when you only have to beat fiat

But small CUV? There's like 10 options of all different types, and all the players make one.

Here's a good explanation of why 3 cylinder is generally undesirable (copied text from link below)
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-the-problem-with-three-cylinder-engines/

An inline three-cylinder engine is essentially a straight six engine lopped in half. Normally in a straight six, the two outer cylinders reach top dead centre (TDC) in unison, with the other four cylinders reaching specific angles of rotation to balance the primary forces, secondary forces and rotational torque of the engine nicely.

In a three-pot, piston one (the front piston) reaches TDC while the other two are 120 degrees away from either TDC or bottom dead centre (BDC). This means that the primary and secondary forces are balanced vertically, but the torque over the reciprocating pistons is not matched in unison like in an I6. Instead, the engine is trying to naturally rotate and flip over on itself. So to avert this, a balancing shaft is needed to counteract the twisting force.

The torque inbalance (shared with inline-five engines) makes for a rattling powertrain as the engine tries to rock from end-to-end, even when balanced as much as physically possible. This is due to the weight of the balancing shaft that the crankshaft has to work against, making these engines less free-revving than their more-balanced counterparts. Counterweights can also be machined into the crankshaft itself but they also add weight, decreasing its ability to rotate freely.

Also, due to the fact that ignition occurs every 240 degrees, the crankshaft journals are spaced 120 degrees apart. This means that there will be a significant proportion of crankshaft rotation (60 degrees) when no power stroke is occurring. That reciprocatory feature leads to the lack of smoothness in power delivery and large amounts of vibration that three-cylinder engines are notorious for. The rough-running engine behaviour will be emphasised at lower engine speeds especially, due to the lack of power strokes occurring.
Sponsored