Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I finished upgrading the speakers in my Big Bend this past weekend and wanted to give those interested some information that may help--

My Big Bend came equipped with the standard 6-Speaker system and I simply wanted to upgrade the speakers to give the stereo a little better sound. I previously owned a 2017 Jeep JK Sahara that I used some Kicker speakers so I decided to go the same route as I liked the sound from the Kickers.

I got 2 pairs of 4in (46CSC44) and 1 pair of 6.5in (46CSC654) Kicker CS speakers. From my previous install on the Jeep, I learned that using speaker baffles was a good idea so I also purchased Boom Mat speaker baffles. For the 4in speakers, I used some Posi-Twist connectors and added a pair of 300Hz Bass Blockers for the front only.

For the 6.5in I used the Metra 82-5605 Mounting Brackets as well as the Metra 72-5602 Wiring Harness.

The speaker installation was straightforward the most time-consuming part is taking apart all the plastic trim which I am so glad some on the forum had already submitted so I was ready with all the appropriate trim removal tools and knowledge.

I have included the documentation I used to remove the trim panels and wiring diagram and well as photos of the install and of the products I used.

I hope this information will be useful for some.

EDIT:
I am adding some pigtail connector diagrams that were submitted by another user on the forum (credit to FLIP). The diagrams will show color wires and their polarity.

IMG_0243.JPG

Base 6 SPKR Wiring.png

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

DASH_LH.jpg

DASH_RH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_LH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_RH.jpg

REAR_LH.jpg

REAR_RH.jpg
I have a bunch of focals in my cart but similar cart. Do these perform well without an amp? I've never installed new speakers on a OEM radio so this seems strange.

I have some Rockford Fosgate sub / amp in the garage so if this works I may just wire the sub and replace the OEM speakers and let them run out the headunit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes how things have changed in the industry....hell, I remember when the CES show was with the adult industry show:rolleyes:
I live in Vegas and attend CES every year. I so remember that and miss it too!

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I used to go every year...have not in some time. Is it still a good show? (CES) LOL
[/QUOTEI
Its an amazing show! I cried when it wasnt in person last Jan. Looking forward to going in a few weeks, regardless of it not having the crowds it did in Jan of 2020.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a bunch of focals in my cart but similar cart. Do these perform well without an amp? I've never installed new speakers on a OEM radio so this seems strange.

I have some Rockford Fosgate sub / amp in the garage so if this works I may just wire the sub and replace the OEM speakers and let them run out the headunit.
I replaced the 4, 4 inch speakers today with Kicker CSR4's. Installation was stupid easy, however be careful not to snap any tabs on the rear, speaker pods. Needless to say it sounds 10x better then stock. So worth the upgrade.

Sponsored

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I replaced the 4, 4 inch speakers today with Kicker CSR4's. Installation was stupid easy, however be careful not to snap any tabs on the rear, speaker pods. Needless to say it sounds 10x better then stock. So worth the upgrade.
Good to know. I will order and install later the focal later this week. The stock audio completely blows. I have a trim removal kit so hopefully nothing breaks.

The system is also far worse than the Bronco Sport system somehow.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good to know. I will order and install later the focal later this week. The stock audio completely blows. I have a trim removal kit so hopefully nothing breaks.

The system is also far worse than the Bronco Sport system somehow.
Thankfully I didnt break any tabs. Oh, one other thing I noticed - With the Kickers, the only way to properly install them in the rears is to snip off two, opposing, screw brackets (youll see what I mean), as the ones that are not used for screwing the speaker in prohibit it from doing so and sitting flush.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JBL 428 may not fit...looks like the tweeter sticks out far....try JBL stage3527
Do you know this for fact? I have these but haven't gotten around to installing them to see if they fit.

Beaver24

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Juan Fitty
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
JBL 428 may not fit...looks like the tweeter sticks out far....try JBL stage3527
-Fronts were fine, but I had to force the covers on the rears. Officially, the tweeter is too tall for the rear...but it can be done. I snapped the tweeter eyebrow off with needle nose pliers on the rear speakers to help squeeze them under the cover.
Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Screenshot_20211216-232308_Gallery

-I used polyfill from Hobby Lobby in the speaker wells.

-Maybe I missed it, but this photo showing the foot rest removal might help someone.

-Metra 72-5602 worked perfectly for 6.5" speakers.

-These connectors from Mouser worked perfectly on the 4" speakers. Crimper I used IWISS SN-28B-Amazon

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram 20211214_162626
Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram 20211208_152931

Last edited:

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I finished upgrading the speakers in my Big Bend this past weekend and wanted to give those interested some information that may help--

My Big Bend came equipped with the standard 6-Speaker system and I simply wanted to upgrade the speakers to give the stereo a little better sound. I previously owned a 2017 Jeep JK Sahara that I used some Kicker speakers so I decided to go the same route as I liked the sound from the Kickers.

I got 2 pairs of 4in (46CSC44) and 1 pair of 6.5in (46CSC654) Kicker CS speakers. From my previous install on the Jeep, I learned that using speaker baffles was a good idea so I also purchased Boom Mat speaker baffles. For the 4in speakers, I used some Posi-Twist connectors and added a pair of 300Hz Bass Blockers for the front only.

For the 6.5in I used the Metra 82-5605 Mounting Brackets as well as the Metra 72-5602 Wiring Harness.

The speaker installation was straightforward the most time-consuming part is taking apart all the plastic trim which I am so glad some on the forum had already submitted so I was ready with all the appropriate trim removal tools and knowledge.

I have included the documentation I used to remove the trim panels and wiring diagram and well as photos of the install and of the products I used.

I hope this information will be useful for some.

EDIT:
I am adding some pigtail connector diagrams that were submitted by another user on the forum (credit to FLIP). The diagrams will show color wires and their polarity.

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram 20211208_152931

Thanks for the write up! I just received my Bronco and came across your post since I'm looking at upgrading the audio. It just so happens I was also looking at the same Kicker 4-inch speakers you installed. What are your thoughts on them after all this time? Would you still buy them or go for something else? Also, how is the base on them? At this time, I was hoping of just doing a speaker swap instead of adding an amplifier and sub to avoid the added cost unless absolutely necessary.

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was actually pleasantly suprised how decent the stock speakers sounded I was expecting garbage from what evryone was saying but I was pleasantly surprised . It definitely is lacking in the bass department but overall I’m happy with it for now

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok so I’m at the finish line of almost deciding what I’m going to buy. From everything I’ve read so far don’t replace the 6.5 kick panels as they don’t make a significant difference. Thoughts on the four below? I’m stuck and trying to decide which to go with. Starting with no amp to speakers unless I feel it’s necessary.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091RCX100/Focal-RCX-100.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC44/Kicker-46CSC44.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CL422F/JBL-Club-422F.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R4032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-4032cfx.html

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It sounds one-thousand times better than stock.
I have always found that the speaker baffles make a big difference in the sound. I found this out in my previous Jeep install after having the rollbar speaker next to my head. At first, I had only the speaker mounted then after hearing the hollowness of the speakers and speaking to my Crutchfield rep they said to either fill the cavity with Poly-Fil or use a speaker baffle like Boom Mat.
I didn't want the messiness of the PolyFil so I went with the Boom Mat. If anything it will be good to have in the kick panel speaker as there is no sound baffling at all at that location.
Thanks so much for this!
You said it’s 1000 times better than before?
One question:
Will it have enough Drive/and Punch
Without to much Distortion
to push the Bass Drums on the following songs?

Slayer-Hell Awaits
Metallica-Enter Sandman
White Zombie-Thunder kiss 65’

Or… do I still need a Powered Small Sub?

Thanks Rick!
🎸

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks so much for this!
You said it’s 1000 times better than before?
One question:
Will it have enough Drive/and Punch
Without to much Distortion
to push the Bass Drums on the following songs?

Slayer-Hell Awaits
Metallica-Enter Sandman
White Zombie-Thunder kiss 65’

Or… do I still need a Powered Small Sub?

Thanks Rick!
🎸
I would recommend a powered sub for a much fuller sound. At the time of my install, I was not interested in adding a powered sub. I wanted to try to go apples to apples in order to make a good comparison between stock speakers and aftermarket.
You may want to do a quick test and listen to those songs with stock then with your replacements. Then add the sub in and listen to the difference.
In my own experience I noticed a big difference in sound clarity going just to the aftermarket replacement. Adding a sub is on my list of addons. Without a doubt it will add a nice low end to the sound. I would love to see someone offer some sort of speaker pod to mount over the front seat areas that might look like the rear pods to offer additional sound fill.

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the write up! I just received my Bronco and came across your post since I'm looking at upgrading the audio. It just so happens I was also looking at the same Kicker 4-inch speakers you installed. What are your thoughts on them after all this time? Would you still buy them or go for something else? Also, how is the base on them? At this time, I was hoping of just doing a speaker swap instead of adding an amplifier and sub to avoid the added cost unless absolutely necessary.
First of all - Congrats on your new addition. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. We just drove from our home in South FL to the a vacation home in the panhandle FL (around 500 miles) with a combination of freeway and back road. The sound is great at high speeds but obviously with a soft top you have to turn up the sound and we didn’t notice muffling like you did in the stock speakers. So far we are happy with the upgrade. We mostly listen to SiriusXm so we are aware that is not the best quality audio but for us this upgrade worked. I will be looking at a powered sub in the future but have other upgrades I’d rather get first. I hope this answers your question and I didn’t ramble on to much.
Sponsored