First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@broncogal21 Yes I would love to see the products you used and helpful notes and pictures if you could please.
I went with the new ACX series from Focal for all speakers. ACX 100 for both 4" pairs, and ACX 165 for the kick panels. I added bass blockers to the front pair, and slim Boom Mat baffles to all speaker locations. You'll see pictures of how I chose to cut the baffles to make them fit into the hole front and back.

I also added the self-powered Kicker 46HS10 to the back, which makes a world of difference! You'd be surprised the amount of bass you get from the sub even with the top off of the Bronco. It's honestly really easy to install in the Bronco. I'll include a picture of the power and signal wire I tucked into the door channel, and then there was already a rubber grommet in the fire wall that I removed and poked a hole through for the power wire. I placed the grommet back into the firewall and it holds the power wire perfectly in place without making any new holes. I used the harnesses that we provide at Crutchfield to splice into in order to get a signal for the sub, that way I didn't even disrupt any of the factory speaker wire going to the location. I also took a pic of that and will include it.

The speaker wire in the roll bar is super short. There are not plug and play harnesses for it, so you have to cut off the connector and you will have to extend those wires where they are so short. That pic will be included as well.

One other pic I'll include that may be helpful is the very easiest spot to pry up the front grilles. I really couldn't get my panel tool under the grille in any other spot until I found this spot.

Volume is great, clarity is great, and that sub rounds it out so well. I'll likely go back in and add a small amp to the speakers in the next couple weeks to take it a step further. We're doing some pictures of the vehicle for the Crutchfield catalogue tomorrow, so you'll see my in our next catalogue if you happen to get those in the mail.

Oh, I used Velcro outdoor grade two sided velcro and it holds my sub perfectly against the back seats without drilling any holes or taking up much space

I hope this helps with your upgrade!

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Dash speaker baffle pic

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Dash speaker installed

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Rear speaker complete with no issues

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Rear speaker, baffle installed, wires extended

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Dash speaker pry point

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Amp power & signal wire

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Kicker sub install
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I went with the new ACX series from Focal for all speakers. ACX 100 for both 4" pairs, and ACX 165 for the kick panels. I added bass blockers to the front pair, and slim Boom Mat baffles to all speaker locations. You'll see pictures of how I chose to cut the baffles to make them fit into the hole front and back.

I also added the self-powered Kicker 46HS10 to the back, which makes a world of difference! You'd be surprised the amount of bass you get from the sub even with the top off of the Bronco. It's honestly really easy to install in the Bronco. I'll include a picture of the power and signal wire I tucked into the door channel, and then there was already a rubber grommet in the fire wall that I removed and poked a hole through for the power wire. I placed the grommet back into the firewall and it holds the power wire perfectly in place without making any new holes. I used the harnesses that we provide at Crutchfield to splice into in order to get a signal for the sub, that way I didn't even disrupt any of the factory speaker wire going to the location. I also took a pic of that and will include it.

The speaker wire in the roll bar is super short. There are not plug and play harnesses for it, so you have to cut off the connector and you will have to extend those wires where they are so short. That pic will be included as well.

One other pic I'll include that may be helpful is the very easiest spot to pry up the front grilles. I really couldn't get my panel tool under the grille in any other spot until I found this spot.

Volume is great, clarity is great, and that sub rounds it out so well. I'll likely go back in and add a small amp to the speakers in the next couple weeks to take it a step further. We're doing some pictures of the vehicle for the Crutchfield catalogue tomorrow, so you'll see my in our next catalogue if you happen to get those in the mail.

Oh, I used Velcro outdoor grade two sided velcro and it holds my sub perfectly against the back seats without drilling any holes or taking up much space

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram Kicker sub install

nice! i just added the Kicker Key amp to my mix and could not belive the difference it made.

broncogal21

Big Bend
First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
looking forward to seeing your setup. I am installing a Kicker Key this weekend that I just bought from Crutchfield.
Just finally got around to posting some about it on here in your thread. How'd the Key amp install go? That will be the next thing I add as well.

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just finally got around to posting some about it on here in your thread. How'd the Key amp install go? That will be the next thing I add as well.
I bought the amp from you guys and then bought the wiring harness from plugnplaykits. the install was very simple and easy. the metal plate under the steering wheel is a perfect spot for that small amp. it really wakes up the speakers. plus the dsp on that amp does an amazing job of centering the sound.

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks @broncogal21!!! so you did this on the stock system with no amp yet?

Sponsored

broncogal21

Big Bend
First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks @broncogal21!!! so you did this on the stock system with no amp yet?
Sure did. Those Focal speakers are super efficient, so they run well on limited power in that series. Really well actually. I knew they'd be okay until I took time to come back and do the amp. I personally like the vibrant sound of Focal when there is a sub added into a system. I've used them several times over the years in various series.

broncogal21

Big Bend
First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I bought the amp from you guys and then bought the wiring harness from plugnplaykits. the install was very simple and easy. the metal plate under the steering wheel is a perfect spot for that small amp. it really wakes up the speakers. plus the dsp on that amp does an amazing job of centering the sound.
Awesome! Yeah, I've heard that amp in several different systems since it's release and its crazy what it does to be so small and affordable. I was going to splice for the signal, but I'll have to check out the Plug n play harness on their site. Good info.

SoCalG

Black Diamond
First Name
SoCalG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks great! Where did you attach the ground to for that kicker Hideaway sub?

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone had any luck finding pods that modify the 4" rears to an 6.5" pod? I would love to see this as Wranglers feature this mod.
Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram g120JP1014-M

Rickey498

Big Bend
First Name
Rickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram g120JP1014-M

I tried D-pinning the connector, successful with one, but ended up having to cut and solder the other one of the two that are on this plug.

They had this at the local Auto Zone, I went ahead and purchased some extra 10amp micro2 fuses. I believe it is the unused fuse location 21 if i remember correctly.

You can see the location in the fuse box here. This is the Blue wire off the amp harness that sends a 12v signal to the sub/amp to turn on and off the sub. It is not powered 100% of the time, only when the key is turned to the on position.

The sub will not fit under the seat on the 2 door without making modification to the carpet. For some reason there is a hump in the carpet but there is nothing underneath it. Maybe for a higher end model component ? I will leave mine in this position.

The back seat is able to fold down without touching the amp/sub.
Did you know you don’t actually need two run the remote wire?

Sponsored

Swabodda

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex, Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That harness is just for the speaker connections, correct? You still had to run power through the firewall? Sorry if its a silly question but there is no real description of the harness on the website.

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That harness is just for the speaker connections, correct? You still had to run power through the firewall? Sorry if its a silly question but there is no real description of the harness on the website.
The harness carries power for the amp as well.

Rickey498

Big Bend
First Name
Rickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nope, lol.
I noticed after I ran the remote wire there is a DC/12v switch if you leave it on DC it will turn on using signal from the speaker splices and if you switch to 12v it will use the remote wire. I can confirm it works both ways.