First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I finished upgrading the speakers in my Big Bend this past weekend and wanted to give those interested some information that may help--

My Big Bend came equipped with the standard 6-Speaker system and I simply wanted to upgrade the speakers to give the stereo a little better sound. I previously owned a 2017 Jeep JK Sahara that I used some Kicker speakers so I decided to go the same route as I liked the sound from the Kickers.

I got 2 pairs of 4in (46CSC44) and 1 pair of 6.5in (46CSC654) Kicker CS speakers. From my previous install on the Jeep, I learned that using speaker baffles was a good idea so I also purchased Boom Mat speaker baffles. For the 4in speakers, I used some Posi-Twist connectors and added a pair of 300Hz Bass Blockers for the front only.

For the 6.5in I used the Metra 82-5605 Mounting Brackets as well as the Metra 72-5602 Wiring Harness.

The speaker installation was straightforward the most time-consuming part is taking apart all the plastic trim which I am so glad some on the forum had already submitted so I was ready with all the appropriate trim removal tools and knowledge.

I have included the documentation I used to remove the trim panels and wiring diagram and well as photos of the install and of the products I used.

I hope this information will be useful for some.

EDIT:
I am adding some pigtail connector diagrams that were submitted by another user on the forum (credit to FLIP). The diagrams will show color wires and their polarity.

IMG_0243.JPG

Base 6 SPKR Wiring.png

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

DASH_LH.jpg

DASH_RH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_LH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_RH.jpg

REAR_LH.jpg

REAR_RH.jpg
I found the part for the connector 4"
Metra 72-5600 Speaker Wiring Harness
I finished upgrading the speakers in my Big Bend this past weekend and wanted to give those interested some information that may help--

My Big Bend came equipped with the standard 6-Speaker system and I simply wanted to upgrade the speakers to give the stereo a little better sound. I previously owned a 2017 Jeep JK Sahara that I used some Kicker speakers so I decided to go the same route as I liked the sound from the Kickers.

I got 2 pairs of 4in (46CSC44) and 1 pair of 6.5in (46CSC654) Kicker CS speakers. From my previous install on the Jeep, I learned that using speaker baffles was a good idea so I also purchased Boom Mat speaker baffles. For the 4in speakers, I used some Posi-Twist connectors and added a pair of 300Hz Bass Blockers for the front only.

For the 6.5in I used the Metra 82-5605 Mounting Brackets as well as the Metra 72-5602 Wiring Harness.

The speaker installation was straightforward the most time-consuming part is taking apart all the plastic trim which I am so glad some on the forum had already submitted so I was ready with all the appropriate trim removal tools and knowledge.

I have included the documentation I used to remove the trim panels and wiring diagram and well as photos of the install and of the products I used.

I hope this information will be useful for some.

EDIT:
I am adding some pigtail connector diagrams that were submitted by another user on the forum (credit to FLIP). The diagrams will show color wires and their polarity.

IMG_0243.JPG

Base 6 SPKR Wiring.png

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

DASH_LH.jpg

DASH_RH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_LH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_RH.jpg

REAR_LH.jpg

REAR_RH.jpg
Been lookin in different post and i ford the hardness for the 4"
Metra 72-5600 Speaker Wiring Harness
Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Contact im trying to follow the kick panel to subwoofer wiring of your speakers but I can’t get my bearings with your photos.

Did you run both channels down the same side of the vehicle or run them separately down their respective sides and bring them together in the trunk? Can you describe what you did? Im stuck on how to best go about this.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond; Jeep Grand Chero; BMW X5M
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got the dash speakers and the rear speakers installed yesterday, it definitely sounds a lot better. Agreed that the fit of the 72-5600 harness is weird, but it seems to work. I turned off the balance/fade except for the one speaker I was working on to make sure the connection on that harness was decent before screwing down the speaker.

One question as I do the kick panel speakers next. In the original post, the manual has many steps to remove all of the trim around the panel. In the Pickens video, he says he was able to just pop off the speaker panel without removing any other trim (though he did to install his sub). Has anyone tried just removing the speaker cover without the surrounding trim? When I took off the dash panels I broke one of the clips and have done that in the past on other vehicles no matter how careful I am. I superglued it back together and it held to put the cover back in, but I assume it will break again if I ever remove it again. Removing all that trim is a lot more clips to potentially break. If I can get the speaker cover off with only its two clips, I'd much rather go that route.

Sponsored

Cobra31

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got the dash speakers and the rear speakers installed yesterday, it definitely sounds a lot better. Agreed that the fit of the 72-5600 harness is weird, but it seems to work. I turned off the balance/fade except for the one speaker I was working on to make sure the connection on that harness was decent before screwing down the speaker.

One question as I do the kick panel speakers next. In the original post, the manual has many steps to remove all of the trim around the panel. In the Pickens video, he says he was able to just pop off the speaker panel without removing any other trim (though he did to install his sub). Has anyone tried just removing the speaker cover without the surrounding trim? When I took off the dash panels I broke one of the clips and have done that in the past on other vehicles no matter how careful I am. I superglued it back together and it held to put the cover back in, but I assume it will break again if I ever remove it again. Removing all that trim is a lot more clips to potentially break. If I can get the speaker cover off with only its two clips, I'd much rather go that route.
The clips on the grills are pretty low quality, I was close to breaking a few as well...

On the kick panels, I recommend pulling off all of the trim pieces. It's much easier to access, and the clips on the trim pieces are a lot sturdier. I initially tried to just remove the speaker grills, and I couldn't really get to the speakers, and thought I may damage some of the trim anyways. It's a super quick process to remove the trim.

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The clips on the grills are pretty low quality, I was close to breaking a few as well...

On the kick panels, I recommend pulling off all of the trim pieces. It's much easier to access, and the clips on the trim pieces are a lot sturdier. I initially tried to just remove the speaker grills, and I couldn't really get to the speakers, and thought I may damage some of the trim anyways. It's a super quick process to remove the trim.
Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll do that.

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay, so I put in the 6" kick speakers and they make a huge difference in power. That said, the speaker panels don't fit super well back in over the new speakers with the brackets. I can get them to clip in but they are pushing on the speakers themselves. To the point that they are vibrating and I can feel the bass through the footrest up into my leg. Which is cool if I'm rocking out but also gets a little annoying.

Has anyone not put that trim speaker cover back on and instead used the round Kicker covers to create a little more space? It would look a little strange but nobody is looking down there anyway. My concern would be dirt and other debris getting down inside the body between the round cover and the surrounding rectangular hole.

EKOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can confirm that this works! Fits a little weird, but it's secure.
I agree - it took a little work to figure out the fit, but has worked well for me and I’m glad I didn’t have to cut the factory connectors off.

Hannabass15

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed 4" Rockford coxial in dash and rearpods. Then i bought Rockford 6.5 componet speakers for kick panel. Ijust installed the woofer in the kick panel and not the tweeter. Much better sound. I can now hear the pod speakers clearly. Still researching what sub to use. Will be JL audio for sure. Just not sure how big i want to go. I want good punch, but not take all of me cargo room. Will post pictures when i decide and install.

Sponsored

airstreamin

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250, ‘21 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay, so I put in the 6" kick speakers and they make a huge difference in power. That said, the speaker panels don't fit super well back in over the new speakers with the brackets. I can get them to clip in but they are pushing on the speakers themselves. To the point that they are vibrating and I can feel the bass through the footrest up into my leg. Which is cool if I'm rocking out but also gets a little annoying.

Has anyone not put that trim speaker cover back on and instead used the round Kicker covers to create a little more space? It would look a little strange but nobody is looking down there anyway. My concern would be dirt and other debris getting down inside the body between the round cover and the surrounding rectangular hole.
I couldn’t fit the kick panel speaker cover back in place without trimming the inner ring of the cover. The speaker adapter pushed the 6.5 out farther than the stock speaker. It’s easy to trim with some side snips.

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I couldn’t fit the kick panel speaker cover back in place without trimming the inner ring of the cover. The speaker adapter pushed the 6.5 out farther than the stock speaker. It’s easy to trim with some side snips.
Awesome, I'll give that a try.

Beaver24

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Juan Fitty
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I ordered the 4" speaker connectors and their pins from Mouser. I got Metra 72-5602 adapter harnesses for the 6.5" kick panel speakers. Waiting on speakers to show up, and this should be plug-n-play.

I'm going to try JBL GX428 and GX628 speakers.

20211208_152931.jpg

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered the 4" speaker connectors and their pins from Mouser. I got Metra 72-5602 adapter harnesses for the 6.5" kick panel speakers. Waiting on speakers to show up, and this should be plug-n-play.

I'm going to try JBL GX428 and GX628 speakers.

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram 20211208_152931
JBL 428 may not fit...looks like the tweeter sticks out far....try JBL stage3527
Sponsored