Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been following this whole thread carefully. I'm doing my first oil change tomorrow am at dealer. I'm going full synth. I checked my oil level reading tonight on the dipstick before I go in. From the factory it reads dead on FULL perfect on the dipstick indicator. Hmmm. Well, we will see what it reads tomorrow afternoon. I am discussing all this with my service guys. Stand by...
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
IMO the problem with underfilling is going to be loooooong term and probably never noticeable during the real service life of the vehicle. The issue I'm talking about is heat dissipation. Low oil+twin turbos+tight tolerances=less efficient lubricant heat transfer, possible accelerated oil breakdown etc. Is it going to be a huge factor? Probably not and you'll likely run through other major components before this would be noticeable (assuming regular maintenance is performed at recommended intervals).

Overfull presents some problems too but mostly with the potential for leaks, maybe oil aeration if baffling doesn't contain during off road use or could make more barf back through the PCV system. Again, not things that would likely have reduce engine life but could lead to leaks and excess crankcase goo through the PCV system.
A half-quart low or high should not make a significant difference for the vast majority of people or use cases.

If you had to err on one side or the other, a half quart low is the more conservative approach, UNLESS you are doing extreme terrain and angles.

If you are doing more extreme terrain, oil starvation could be catastrophic if not detected quickly, but otherwise being slightly low is better than over-filled, provided that you are using a high quality synthetic oil which has greater tolerance of thermal demands and maintains viscosity over a wider range of conditions.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just changed my oil few minutes ago and the Bronco has been sitting for close to 48hrs. Took exactly 7 quarts. Don’t understand why people change on a hot motor or warm because a lot of the oil is still at the top of the motor. Doing it cold it’s all at the bottom. Used Mobile 1 5w30 it was exactly at the full mark on the stick when I was done.
When was your build date? Did you check the stick after letting it drain back into the pan after several hours or within 10 or 15 minutes after you changed it?

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When was your build date? Did you check the stick after letting it drain back into the pan after several hours or within 10 or 15 minutes after you changed it?
11/16 was my build date. Checked oil level probably 5 min after I filled it with oil. I drove it like 3 miles total last night after I changed it going to Walgreens. I walk to work so It’s still sitting in my backyard I’ll check it today on my lunch break to see if the level is still where it was last night. I’m sure it will be it’s got exactly 7 quarts in it.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
11/16 was my build date. Checked oil level probably 5 min after I filled it with oil. I drove it like 3 miles total last night after I changed it going to Walgreens. I walk to work so It’s still sitting in my backyard I’ll check it today on my lunch break to see if the level is still where it was last night. I’m sure it will be it’s got exactly 7 quarts in it.
Thanks! My build date was early September, so maybe Ford swapped dipsticks or figured out the mystery since then. The recommendation from Ford is waiting at least 10-15 minutes after a fill and shutting off the engine, and many forum members have indicated correct oil levels at 10 minutes after but way overfilled at an hour later. Can you check yours after it sits for at least an hour and provide your dipstick number?

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It was barely over the full line if i was to guess its probably 1/4 quart over the mark. When i checked it before the oil change it was also a little over so i'm leaving it as is. Here’s a pic of the stick numbers.
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 63F8C1F6-0589-4130-BF47-7BC64003416E

Thanks! My build date was early September, so maybe Ford swapped dipsticks or figured out the mystery since then. The recommendation from Ford is waiting at least 10-15 minutes after a fill and shutting off the engine, and many forum members have indicated correct oil levels at 10 minutes after but way overfilled at an hour later. Can you check yours after it sits for at least an hour and provide your dipstick number?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was barely over the full line if i was to guess its probably 1/4 quart over the mark. When i checked it before the oil change it was also a little over so i'm leaving it as is. Here’s a pic of the stick numbers.
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 63F8C1F6-0589-4130-BF47-7BC64003416E
Thanks!

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just got back from a full synth oil change at Galpin. I made a point of asking the chief service technician how much oil they add. 6 or 7 quarts. He knew right away it was 7 quarts. They have done a bunch of Broncos already. I also asked about the dipstick and the high readings people have reported, and if any replacement dipsticks were being issued. They said no. Now keep in mind, mine read dead on perfect at top of FULL before oil change. I'll report my dipstick reading level in a bit after it cools down some. Just some FYI for everyone. I'm betting on 7 quarts.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got back from a full synth oil change at Galpin. I made a point of asking the chief service technician how much oil they add. 6 or 7 quarts. He knew right away it was 7 quarts. They have done a bunch of Broncos already. I also asked about the dipstick and the high readings people have reported, and if any replacement dipsticks were being issued. They said no. Now keep in mind, mine read dead on perfect at top of FULL before oil change. I'll report my dipstick reading level in a bit after it cools down some. Just some FYI for everyone. I'm betting on 7 quarts.
Thanks for the info. I don't doubt that 2.7s can HOLD 7 quarts (I'd be happy to put in 10 if that is the listed capacity)...but many of us have experienced stick levels far above the max line with both the factory fill AND after a drain of 7/add 7 oil change. Can you share your build date and the oil level after at least a one-hour shutdown? Much appreciated!

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok, so here are the results, Now I specifically asked, and the service guy assured me, he put in exactly 7 quarts of Motorcraft oil. My dipstick now reads right where my fingernail meets the dipstick, above the MAX line. I checked 8 different times just to be sure. It read the same each time, and its bright and sunny out. So about my readings before and it being right on the MAX line the other day, either I misread it, (it was after dark when I did it) or it may have been underfilled and the dipstick was used as the factor for volume. So a little mystery there. Here is my dipstick and the part stamped onto it. My original build date was 7/23, then dirt mountain.

IMG_9412.jpg

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

63F8C1F6-0589-4130-BF47-7BC64003416E.jpeg
That looks like a different dipstick!! this is what mine looks like .... is your engine a 2.7?

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct dipstick

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That looks like a different dipstick!! this is what mine looks like .... is your engine a 2.7?

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct dipstick
Same dipstick part number (engineering number, actually) as the rest, it appears...and (according to that particular stick) overfilled with 7 quarts. The mystery remains unsolved. At least yours is not halfway up the twist at 7 quarts. Part of the fun factor of owning a new Bronco I guess...diverse oil readings! It would be interesting to hear what your service advisor says if you bring up that after they changed your oil that it reads over the max line (which, according to the manual, should be immediately drained down to no higher than the full mark). I imagine your initial reading reflected most but not all of the oil prior to the full drain back time elapsing.

Jer

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands,2017 F350, 2023 F150L, 1976 K20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone probably already posted the dipstick reading before 1st oil change, but I just checked mine out of curiosity. I have 900 miles on it and it is just about 1/4” over the top mark.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Thats the same part number as mine above and I have a 2.7.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Someone probably already posted the dipstick reading before 1st oil change, but I just checked mine out of curiosity. I have 900 miles on it and it is just about 1/4” over the top mark.
That's where mine reads after exactly 7 quarts.
Sponsored