Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The capacities you attached are for the 2.3 L, not the 2.7
Well thank you for that! It was in my manual, so I made an assumption that it was the correct info. Guess I'll go back and see what it says about the 2.7L. Thanks again
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like the capacity question was addressed... But as for the other part, that is the issue.

Say you have your oil changed at some place, they blindly drain the oil out and then fill it with 7 quarts and don't look back.. You will be over filled...why? Because it takes a long time to drain the full 7 qts out... Either by letting it sit for a long time before draining, or letting it drain for a very long time. No shop is going to wait that long.

So If you are not going to measure how much oil comes out, to use it to help calculate how much it will to put in, the normal alternative is to use the dipstick.

And here we are again screwed by Ford. If you read the dipstick 10 minutes after shutting off the engine, you will get a different reading that if you wait 2 hours after shutting off the engine.

Basically, you are playing a guessing game no matter what.

personally I think the key is to check your dipstick BEFORE changing your 1st oil. Check it 10 minutes after shutting off the engine and take note. Then check it aftwr letting it sit for hours and take note.

Assuming The engine was bone dry before Ford added 7 qts from the factory...this should give you enough info to be able to handle all future oil changes.

of course I'm not sure where that leaves folks that have their oil done at a shop but at least you can follow up with your dipstick afterwards.

We have a lot of unknowns from Ford, about a lot of issues with the Bronco... This dipstick thing is one of the few that literally have no answers.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like the capacity question was addressed... But as for the other part, that is the issue.

Say you have your oil changed at some place, they blindly drain the oil out and then fill it with 7 quarts and don't look back.. You will be over filled...why? Because it takes a long time to drain the full 7 qts out... Either by letting it sit for a long time before draining, or letting it drain for a very long time. No shop is going to wait that long.

So If you are not going to measure how much oil comes out, to use it to help calculate how much it will to put in, the normal alternative is to use the dipstick.

And here we are again screwed by Ford. If you read the dipstick 10 minutes after shutting off the engine, you will get a different reading that if you wait 2 hours after shutting off the engine.

Basically, you are playing a guessing game no matter what.

personally I think the key is to check your dipstick BEFORE changing your 1st oil. Check it 10 minutes after shutting off the engine and take note. Then check it aftwr letting it sit for hours and take note.

Assuming The engine was bone dry before Ford added 7 qts from the factory...this should give you enough info to be able to handle all future oil changes.

of course I'm not sure where that leaves folks that have their oil done at a shop but at least you can follow up with your dipstick afterwards.

We have a lot of unknowns from Ford, about a lot of issues with the Bronco... This dipstick thing is one of the few that literally have no answers.
Agree with you %100

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So where are we at with the dipstick? Anyone found a solution from Ford yet?

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
why do we keep rehashing the same old issues. Ford confirmed that it should be 7 qts at an oil change.

I did my first change at 3000 miles, specifically went to the dealer and asked they measure what came out, and disclose how much they put in. The mechanic confirmed 7 qts in and out, and my dipstick showed the same quantity before and after the oil change.

done deal in my book!

Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
why do we keep rehashing the same old issues. Ford confirmed that it should be 7 qts at an oil change.

I did my first change at 3000 miles, specifically went to the dealer and asked they measure what came out, and disclose how much they put in. The mechanic confirmed 7 qts in and out, and my dipstick showed the same quantity before and after the oil change.

done deal in my book!
I agree. I was assured by Galpin, who has done probably more oil changes than most dealers, it's 7 for !00% sure months ago. What I'm getting at is, anyone got a new dipstick that reads the oil level correctly? What's the fix for this?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

done deal in my book!
I don't think anybody is rehashing how many quarts... The discussion is about the dipstick reading correctly.

On a different thread a remember got a 2022 engine (black label instead of white). He noted that the oil filler was shorter. But when I asked him to check the dipstick, it still came back like the originals and still measuring wrong.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Doing oil change soon. All this discussion is interesting.
It does make Ford look bad.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Doing oil change soon. All this discussion is interesting.
It does make Ford look bad.
Not rocket science..... just read the manual for the correct amount

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello! The part of the manual that says "7 quarts capacity" or the part that warns not to add oil past the uppermost max mark? They don't coincide with one another...🤔

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello! The part of the manual that says "7 quarts capacity" or the part that warns not to add oil past the uppermost max mark? They don't coincide with one another...🤔
It has been stated many times 7 quarts… just see where that comes on your dip stick and note it..

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has been stated many times 7 quarts… just see where that comes on your dip stick and note it..
I am very familiar with how many times various posters have shared the 7-quart theory (which, BTW, Ford has yet to share an official explanation about...even their new replacement engines still have inaccurate sticks). My point is that if someone is told to "check the manual" it should be noted that the manual in its current iteration does NOT provide completely accurate information (and just wait for the inevitable complaints from people who trust others to change their oil who rely solely on a dipstick and who underfill by a quart). If you read the manual, note that (even on the html version which can easily be updated on the fly), it still indicates not only a 7-quart capacity but also a very specific warning to NOT fill beyond the top mark. It doesn't say "check the Bronco6g forum to find out which specific entries in the manual are believed to be correct." If anyone has a direct connection to Ford, please tell them it isn't rocket science to produce a vehicle with a dipstick that actually works. Is anyone surprised with all the hiccups the Bronco has had/is having if a team of engineers can't get a dipstick right?

Side note, even though I change my oil on my own, for giggles I asked the local Ford service manger what their shop protocol is for Bronco oil change...and they said they go by the stick. Not saying they are correct, just saying until Ford does the right thing and just finds the correct stick this oil confusion will continue.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am very familiar with how many times various posters have shared the 7-quart theory (which, BTW, Ford has yet to share an official explanation about...even their new replacement engines still have inaccurate sticks). My point is that if someone is told to "check the manual" it should be noted that the manual in its current iteration does NOT provide completely accurate information (and just wait for the inevitable complaints from people who trust others to change their oil who rely solely on a dipstick and who underfill by a quart). If you read the manual, note that (even on the html version which can easily be updated on the fly), it still indicates not only a 7-quart capacity but also a very specific warning to NOT fill beyond the top mark. It doesn't say "check the Bronco6g forum to find out which specific entries in the manual are believed to be correct." If anyone has a direct connection to Ford, please tell them it isn't rocket science to produce a vehicle with a dipstick that actually works. Is anyone surprised with all the hiccups the Bronco has had/is having if a team of engineers can't get a dipstick right?

Side note, even though I change my oil on my own, for giggles I asked the local Ford service manger what their shop protocol is for Bronco oil change...and they said they go by the stick. Not saying they are correct, just saying until Ford does the right thing and just finds the correct stick this oil confusion will continue.
Yet another reasonable observation that will be pounced on by Homers ... This is my first and last Ford, cuz what they care about most, is Aesthetics and Marketing!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford needs to hire some rocket scientist so they can develop a proper dip stick.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

If not already done, recommend a sticky with only the info (correct or theororized) discovered so far, as few will read all 15 pages.
Sponsored