First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford needs to hire some rocket scientist so they can develop a proper dip stick.
Maybe some people need to drive electric cars if they don't know that a little below or a little above the full mark on dip sticks is still ok.... :)
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe some people need to drive electric cars if they don't know that a little below or a little above the full mark on dip sticks is still ok.... :)
Maybe Ford needs to produce only electric cars if their engineers can't figure out how to provide an accurate dipstick (something they used to be able to do even many decades ago). Additionally, let's try to find some common ground and define "a little." I personally consider "a little" as, for example, the distance between point B and C on the attached image. On my stick, and as shared by many other folks on this forum regarding their sticks, at 7 quarts our "full" mark is 1/2-5/8 inch above the MAX mark. That seems more like "a lot." ESPECIALLY when "the manual" clearly indicates "do not add oil above the maximum mark (even" a little) or engine damage may occur.

Screenshot_20220325-090754_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220325-091627_Chrome.jpg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Agreed. Post like that have no contributing factors to them at all. Not even worth electricity it took to type it. I don't like what my government's doing so just move to a different country.

Electric vehicles have a long way to go (pun intended) before they're ready for off-road use.

BigBendBilly

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I also just had the first oil/filter change to drain the break in oil out at the dealership where according to the receipt they put in 6 quarts and the dipstick indicates overfill and the level is up to the twist on the dipstick, on level ground. I checked the oil level when I first received my new Bronco from the dealership and it was overfilled but not as much as it is overfilled now. Not sure if I should drain some out or not.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

16 pages šŸ™ˆ what if you drain everything pan,filter then fill with 7 qts run it let it sit and scribe a mark on dipstick?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also just had the first oil/filter change to drain the break in oil out at the dealership where according to the receipt they put in 6 quarts and the dipstick indicates overfill and the level is up to the twist on the dipstick, on level ground. I checked the oil level when I first received my new Bronco from the dealership and it was overfilled but not as much as it is overfilled now. Not sure if I should drain some out or not.

It's a hard call. Chances are the dealer did not allow the oil to drain long enough. It has been established that it takes a while to get all seven quarts out.

I would compare your dipstick readings to some of the ones posted and see.

Personally I have always been of the mindset it's better to be a little low than too high, but this threat is full of people that think of quart either way makes no difference.

One of the reasons why I plan on marking the dipstick the first day I get my Bronco (IF I get it)

Jasf

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've left my Bronco overnight at the dealer to get this problem solved. They let it settle and drain for long periods. So it now has 7 quarts and reads over per Ford engineering department. My problem is that why was it reading correctly at the top of the hash marks when I drove it off brand new? So I was running it low the first 5000?

Deleted member 12876

Thank you for this. I have been saying that the guys who have been losing their minds over this and using 6 quarts instead of 7 will have a rude awakening a year from now when they start having engine issues.
No issues, not much difference between six and 7 quarts. If the engineers design the motor to runoff seven itā€™s going to be operating safe with six

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So if you are using 6 when the engine requires 7 then letā€™s say you burn off half of a quart so now you are 1.5 quarts from the required 7. It is a slippery slope

No issues, not much difference between six and 7 quarts. If the engineers design the motor to runoff seven itā€™s going to be operating safe with six

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No you aren't. Maintain it at the max mark. The engine will operate just fine in the safe operating range. If the safe operating range is a half inch lower than it should be then if you're maintaining the level at the top of the range you should be in the actual safe operating range. It's simple, it's defensible. It won't raise questions if there's an issue.

Oil level at max mark, what can service manager say? You starved it for oil because everyone should know you need 7 qts in there? That would never hold up.

Oil over filled service manager says "you over filled it, damaged engine." But you added 7 qts! "How do you know you got all the old oil out? These engines always hold a half to a quart back when you drain it..." or some other BS.
And that makes it almost impossible to change our own oil without potential repercussions.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So if you are using 6 when the engine requires 7 then letā€™s say you burn off half of a quart so now you are 1.5 quarts from the required 7. It is a slippery slope
just to add to the confusion, 7 is not a requirement, its the max capacity

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
no confusion for me. 2.7 calls for 7 quarts so that is what I will use
I am still confused because although the manual calls for 7 quarts it also indicates (warns) to not add oil above the max level on the stick. Conundrum...

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am still confused because although the manual calls for 7 quarts it also indicates (warns) to not add oil above the max level on the stick. Conundrum...
YEP .... and Ford is doing nothing about this EVEN though they are fully aware of their contradictory instructions

Deleted member 12876

Well not really, engineers have design engines to be able to safely run off half the oil capacity for hours (miles) before internal damage is done to the engine.
But I donā€™t recommend it.
Itā€™s probably worse to overfill than under fillā€¦
Sponsored