First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I’ve been told the twist has been moved higher up to avoid accumulating drainback oil causing issues with reading the oil level
The twist was never the issue...the issue is that with 7 quarts the oil level ends up about 1/2 above the max mark on the stick. Yes, that puts the oil level in the middle of the current twist, but moving up the twist would simply mean that the oil level would still be 1/2 above the max mark. Hopefully the stick that is supposedly now in the database and indicates as the correct one for the 2022 Bronco has a max mark that is at least 1/2 higher than the sticks most of us have.
Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The twist was never the issue...the issue is that with 7 quarts the oil level ends up about 1/2 above the max mark on the stick. Yes, that puts the oil level in the middle of the current twist, but moving up the twist would simply mean that the oil level would still be 1/2 above the max mark. Hopefully the stick that is supposedly now in the database and indicates as the correct one for the 2022 Bronco has a max mark that is at least 1/2 higher than the sticks most of us have.
The surface tension created by the twist resting against a drain back hole directly next to the protruding dipstick created an artificially high level. Tooling was resubmitted to move the height of the twist not change the length of the dipstick. But this is what the documentation has stated when it was submitted so who actually knows. I haven’t had time to go chasing sticks down

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The surface tension created by the twist resting against a drain back hole directly next to the protruding dipstick created an artificially high level. Tooling was resubmitted to move the height of the twist not change the length of the dipstick. But this is what the documentation has stated when it was submitted so who actually knows. I haven’t had time to go chasing sticks down
That would be awesome if simply moving up the twist does it/did it...but given that as of 5/9 the database indicates that the proper stick for the Bronco is now the exact same PN as the already-in-use stick that the 3.5 uses. If the twist resting against a drain back hole is the issue with our current sticks, wouldn't adding even 6 quarts rather than 7 still show as halfway up the twist if the oil is coming from the drain back and not the surface of the oil? I ask because when I added only 6 quarts after my initial oil change, and waited 15 minutes to check, it was right on the max mark...but adding 7 quarts puts it well into the twist.

Last edited:

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would be awesome if simply moving up the twist does it/did it...but given that as of 5/9 the database indicates that the proper stick for the Bronco is now the exact same PN as the already-in-use stick that the 3.5 uses. If the twist resting against a drain back hole is the issue with our current sticks, wouldn't adding even 6 quarts rather than 7 still show as halfway up the twist if the oil is coming from the drain back and not the surface of the oil? I ask because when I added only 6 quarts after my initial oil change, and waited 15 minutes to check, it was right on the max mark...but adding 7 quarts puts it well into the twist.
I don’t have any answers I don’t get the luxury of knowing customer issue resolution. I hear about them long after the fact (re-tooling order was submitted in September 2021). I drive vehicles and acquire data for development so this is out of my realm. Just trying to help and pass along what I can. As far as it’s been stated to me oil drains down onto the twist as it flows back into the pan. The hash marks and full capacity punch hole both create surface tension so I would assume 6 quarts would be catching one of those points after oil stops flowing down the stick from the point of contact against the reinforcement skirt this resulting in a false level reading. We will see what happens though with this revision.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t have any answers I don’t get the luxury of knowing customer issue resolution. I hear about them long after the fact (re-tooling order was submitted in September 2021). I drive vehicles and acquire data for development so this is out of my realm. Just trying to help and pass along what I can. As far as it’s been stated to me oil drains down onto the twist as it flows back into the pan. The hash marks and full capacity punch hole both create surface tension so I would assume 6 quarts would be catching one of those points after oil stops flowing down the stick from the point of contact against the reinforcement skirt this resulting in a false level reading. We will see what happens though with this revision.
Your intel is much appreciated.! The "revision," however, at least right now, appears only to be Ford figuring out that the 3.5 stick may accomplish providing a more accurate reading than the former Bronco 2.7 sticks have (not creating a NEW stick, unless the 3.5 stick is only a temporary solution). I imagine the block (and the drain back port) is the same for F150 2.7s and Bronco 2.7s? If so, that doesn't explain why folks with F150s have not been having similar issues with inaccurate sticks (unless the Bronco stick has the twist in that location and the F150 stick does not). The PN for the valve covers on the Bronco and the F150s are the same...the only difference I am aware of is the pans...which is what led me to believe that the "7 quart capacity" was more of an intended thing than a reality thing. Hoping that the 3.5 stick does the trick and that 7 quarts is the safe level to run (and that Ford figures out how to provide an accurate dipstick in some form in the near future).

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your intel is much appreciated.! The "revision," however, at least right now, appears only to be Ford figuring out that the 3.5 stick may accomplish providing a more accurate reading than the former Bronco 2.7 sticks have (not creating a NEW stick, unless the 3.5 stick is only a temporary solution). I imagine the block (and the drain back port) is the same for F150 2.7s and Bronco 2.7s? If so, that doesn't explain why folks with F150s have not been having similar issues with inaccurate sticks (unless the Bronco stick has the twist in that location and the F150 stick does not). The PN for the valve covers on the Bronco and the F150s are the same...the only difference I am aware of is the pans...which is what led me to believe that the "7 quart capacity" was more of an intended thing than a reality thing. Hoping that the 3.5 stick does the trick and that 7 quarts is the safe level to run (and that Ford figures out how to provide an accurate dipstick in some form in the near future).
The Bronco nano has a slightly different reinforcement skirt. The challenge here is that the 3.5 is just a totally different architecture. The Nano engines utilize a two piece block design with variations in the skirt depending upon vehicle model.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco nano has a slightly different reinforcement skirt. The challenge here is that the 3.5 is just a totally different architecture. The Nano engines utilize a two piece block design with variations in the skirt depending upon vehicle model.
Hoping that the stick that I ordered is going to accomplish what I need. Ford does now indicate that it is the correct stick for the 2022 Bronco...I hope they did that only after doing thier research and testing out that theory.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Can we assume all 22s comes with the new stick?

Hoping that the stick that I ordered is going to accomplish what I need. Ford does now indicate that it is the correct stick for the 2022 Bronco...I hope they did that only after doing thier research and testing out that theory.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can we assume all 22s comes with the new stick?
No because the date the number for the correct stick is dated as of 5/9...so I imagine units with engines produced on or after that date may have the right ones (if the 3.5 one is even the right one). To alleviate my anticipation of the new stick arrival I may just go to the local dealer and find a 2018 and up F150 with a 3.5 and measure the stick and compare the engineering numbers.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think I must have missed something … so the new stick is similar to the 3.5 stick?

No because the date the number for the correct stick is dated as of 5/9...so I imagine units with engines produced on or after that date may have the right ones (if the 3.5 one is even the right one). To alleviate my anticipation of the new stick arrival I may just go to the local dealer and find a 2018 and up F150 with a 3.5 and measure the stick and compare the engineering numbers.

Sponsored

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just did my own oil change yesterday. As recommended, I removed the oil filter first, then let it drain. It let it drain for about 75 minutes till I saw no drips. Unfortunately I cannot tell how much drained out because I spilled A LOT, (at least enough that took half a roll of paper towels), but I drained out whatever I spilt plus 5.5 quarts that I actually caught. (I'm guessing I spilt about a quart). Thank god I coughed up the $$ for the ronin plug for future oil changes.

I did take a measurement before the change and it was about 1/3" past the max fill dot. I put in 6.25 quarts and I'm maybe 1/8" above the max fill dot.

HOWEVER, if you take the measurement by putting the dipstick in till the rubber seal resistance and not force it that last half inch or so, I'm about 1/4" below the max fill dot or 1/16th" below the top of the hatches.

Maybe the dip stick was meant to be measured not pushing it in 100% and just to that final resistance point? (top of the rubber gasket?). I know when I see a lot of oil change videos on f-150's, those guys seem to just quickly stick it in and out and maybe aren't putting the dip stick 100% sealed back in?

I'm also in the camp that (if you had to choose) a quart low is better than overfilled a quart high.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I must have missed something … so the new stick is similar to the 3.5 stick?
The stick that is now listed as the 2022 stick is a 3.5 stick...as of 5/9/22. I don't have one yet to confirm, but it is on the way. If I can find one on the dealer lot this weekend, I will measure and know for sure.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
interesting. I have a gen3 raptor so I will measure the stick

The stick that is now listed as the 2022 stick is a 3.5 stick...as of 5/9/22. I don't have one yet to confirm, but it is on the way. If I can find one on the dealer lot this weekend, I will measure and know for sure.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you let me know if it is a MB3E-6750-BA?
Sponsored