Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yet another example of Ford's transparency. They never admitted the dip stick was wrong, no matter how much it was questioned, and now they are changing the design quietly (still without acknowledging there is an issue).

The right thing to do is a TSB/recall/public announcement to acknowledge that there is actually an issue, and allow all existing Broncos to swap out with a proper reading dipstick (assuming this new one fixes it)

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll confess, I've not checked a dipstick on a vehicle other than my daughter's JK in years. 03' f250 14qts out 14 qts in......12' F350...13qt out, 13qts in....71' bronco 5qts out, 5qts in...66' bronco 6qts out 6qts in. If there's no oil on the ground, and no smoke out the pipe, it's still in there at the oil change. When I changed the oil on the 2.7l yesterday, I've got a 15qt catch pan, after I drained the oil, the catch pan was half full, I put 7qts back in.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'll confess, I've not checked a dipstick on a vehicle other than my daughter's JK in years. 03' f250 14qts out 14 qts in......12' F350...13qt out, 13qts in....71' bronco 5qts out, 5qts in...66' bronco 6qts out 6qts in. If there's no oil on the ground, and no smoke out the pipe, it's still in there at the oil change. When I changed the oil on the 2.7l yesterday, I've got a 15qt catch pan, after I drained the oil, the catch pan was half full, I put 7qts back in.

Never checking a dipstick and just always putting back in an approximation guess of how much oil comes out, I think it goes to prove that having precise oil levels not that critical.

Of course that's assuming that you're getting high mileage out of your engines :)

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never checking a dipstick and just always putting back in an approximation guess of how much oil comes out, I think it goes to prove that having precise oil levels not that critical.

Of course that's assuming that you're getting high mileage out of your engines :)
Exactly. 02' 7.3l Excursion sold at 303k, 03' 6.0l f250 sold at 333k, 93' Grand Am sold at 378k. 190k on our 12' f350 6.7l now, 248k on our 04' Ranger 4.0l now, 197k on my daughter's 07' jk, but I do check that one every once in a while since they are known for oil "disappearance".

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Random question….

On a DYI oil change….if you needed to “tilt” the Bronco to better drain out the very last drop of oil….

Do we need to raise the rear and have it tilting down toward the front….

Or raise the front and have it tilting down toward the rear?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Random question….

On a DYI oil change….if you needed to “tilt” the Bronco to better drain out the very last drop of oil….

Do we need to raise the rear and have it tilting down toward the front….

Or raise the front and have it tilting down toward the rear?
There is no extra special tilting or anything required (other than being level) to get most of the old oil out other than first pulling the filter housing and the filter and then waiting at least 15 minutes (or longer if you have the time to kill) for the oil to make its way into the pan from all the galleys and lines and so forth before you pull the plug.

The reason there has been so much confusion around oil changes and checking oil is because the wrong sticks were provided from the beginning (as indicated by the listed PN not matching what most of not all of us have in our Broncos right now). There is a sizable drain hole in the pan, and most of the oil is out in about 30 seconds (as many members have found it can potentially shoot out much farther than anticipated). If the oil is warm when changed, as it is supposed to be to suspend particles, all you need to do is wait until the stream becomes an occasional drop. If you feel like waiting until no more dripping, go for it...but you will be there for some time. Allegedly Ford confirmed 7 quart capacity, so most folks have been adding 7 quarts.

I ordered the "new" PN stick and it should arrive (fingers crossed) in a few days...if the max mark is about 1/2 - 5/8 higher than our current sticks max mark, that will be the answer we have been waiting for...and hopefully Ford will issue a TSB/send out new sticks, but I would wager they will just quietly add the new sticks to Broncos produced after a certain date (I believe 5/9/22 was the date the correct stick went into the database listed for Broncos).

I will post/send pics as soon as the stick is in my possession. I asked if anyone on the forum happens to have a newer F150 with a 3.5 liter would be willing to measure their stick (because apparently the correct stick for the Bronco is the same PN as for 3.5 liter F150s and Navigators and older Explorers with 3.5s), but it has been crickets.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is no extra special tilting or anything required (other than being level) to get most of the old oil out other than first pulling the filter housing and the filter and then waiting at least 15 minutes (or longer if you have the time to kill) for the oil to make its way into the pan from all the galleys and lines and so forth before you pull the plug.

The reason there has been so much confusion around oil changes and checking oil is because the wrong sticks were provided from the beginning (as indicated by the listed PN not matching what most of not all of us have in our Broncos right now). There is a sizable drain hole in the pan, and most of the oil is out in about 30 seconds (as many members have found it can potentially shoot out much farther than anticipated). If the oil is warm when changed, as it is supposed to be to suspend particles, all you need to do is wait until the stream becomes an occasional drop. If you feel like waiting until no more dripping, go for it...but you will be there for some time. Allegedly Ford confirmed 7 quart capacity, so most folks have been adding 7 quarts.

I ordered the "new" PN stick and it should arrive (fingers crossed) in a few days...if the max mark is about 1/2 - 5/8 higher than our current sticks max mark, that will be the answer we have been waiting for...and hopefully Ford will issue a TSB/send out new sticks, but I would wager they will just quietly add the new sticks to Broncos produced after a certain date (I believe 5/9/22 was the date the correct stick went into the database listed for Broncos).

I will post/send pics as soon as the stick is in my possession. I asked if anyone on the forum happens to have a newer F150 with a 3.5 liter would be willing to measure their stick (because apparently the correct stick for the Bronco is the same PN as for 3.5 liter F150s and Navigators and older Explorers with 3.5s), but it has been crickets.

Thanks

Yea I did an oil change at 700 miles or so

I did get ALMOST 7 quarts out after letting it drain for about an hour.

I just wondered if an incline would help a little bit.

I would like to have the correct dip stick as well.

What was the price on that part?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks

Yea I did an oil change at 700 miles or so

I did get ALMOST 7 quarts out after letting it drain for about an hour.

I just wondered if an incline would help a little bit.

I would like to have the correct dip stick as well.

What was the price on that part?
20 bucks...but I'd wait until it is confirmed so you aren't out 20 bucks...it might just be wishful thinking at this point! I am hoping to have it by mid-week.

Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

20 bucks...but I'd wait until it is confirmed so you aren't out 20 bucks...it might just be wishful thinking at this point! I am hoping to have it by mid-week.

Nice. Post an update here if you can.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dumped my oil at about 500 (despite the myths out there about the Bronco having break-in oil), and got about 6.7 out...which makes sense if it was filled with 7 from the factory because the saturated filter elements holds nearly 3 ounces (many folks don't calculate that into the equation). I swapped out my drain plug for a better one while I was at it to make my next change easier.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I dumped my oil at about 500 (despite the myths out there about the Bronco having break-in oil), and got about 6.7 out...which makes sense if it was filled with 7 from the factory because the saturated filter elements holds nearly 3 ounces (many folks don't calculate that into the equation). I swapped out my drain plug for a better one while I was at it to make my next change easier.
Which plug did you wind up with?