Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And Bronco:

tempImagehjCV3v.png
tempImageCrKgMC.png
Thanks. I never saw the bronco pan measurements, so I wasn’t sure. The only difference I see is the middle section looks to be higher on the bronco pan, maybe forcing more oil to the back sump area? Not sure.

As far as the pick up goes, looks like the bronco just uses an older style regular pick up
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. I never saw the bronco pan measurements, so I wasn’t sure. The only difference I see is the middle section looks to be higher on the bronco pan, maybe forcing more oil to the back sump area? Not sure.

As far as the pick up goes, looks like the bronco just uses an older style regular pick up
I think the hump is just to clear the undercarriage bits. A deeper sump would be great for steep inclines (if the pickup was located towards the rear of the sump), but pretty useless for steep declines...without a baffle/windage tray/some form of device to keep the pickup covered. Disappointing that for such a "capable" vehicle that many folks will routinely climb things with that very little thought went into the pan. Maybe someone will come up with a dry sump option.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think the hump is just to clear the undercarriage bits. A deeper sump would be great for steep inclines (if the pickup was located towards the rear of the sump), but pretty useless for steep declines...without a baffle/windage tray/some form of device to keep the pickup covered. Disappointing that for such a "capable" vehicle that many folks will routinely climb things with that very little thought went into the pan. Maybe someone will come up with a dry sump option.
Yep, looks like it’s purposely done to clear the front axle. I couldn’t remember if something was in the way.
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct EC4994FF-CC52-477B-9108-A02D46CA1FE4

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here we go...I just received the 2.7 F150 oil pan today...and I just measured from the surface of the liquid to the top of the pan rail with both 6 and 7 quarts. For comparison, Yukon measured his Bronco 2.7 oil pan with both 6 and 7 quarts in the same manner. Here are the comparisons:

Bronco oil pan:

6 quarts - .625" from surface to rail

7 quarts - .25" from surface to rail

Drum roll....

F150 oil pan:

6 quarts - 1.22" from surface to rail

7 quarts - .70" from surface to rail

That means the F150 pan holds MORE oil than the "7 quart" Bronco oil pan. It also means that even with 6 quarts in our Bronco oil pans (as per the latest information from Ford) that we already have an oil level that is even closer (by over a half inch) to the block. For those of you that still want to run 7, your oil level will be over another half inch closer. I am certain even with this information (the measurements, not my opinions) the 6 vs. 7 camp will still remain divided.

A big thanks to the forum member who split the cost of the F150 pan with me for this experiment!
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct EC4994FF-CC52-477B-9108-A02D46CA1FE4
Best $60 I've spent!

From these measurements I can wildly speculate they thought they could get 7qts by judging the fill of the F150 pan but the packaging (and front axle) got in the way and they had to reduce the volume of the pan.

How much is the Bronco Raptor 3.0 pan? I'd love to see the capacity of that. Also wondering if it will bolt up to the 2.7 since there's not much diff between the nano 2.7 and 3.0.

thanks for doing the work!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best $60 I've spent!

From these measurements I can wildly speculate they thought they could get 7qts by judging the fill of the F150 pan but the packaging (and front axle) got in the way and they had to reduce the volume of the pan.

How much is the Bronco Raptor 3.0 pan? I'd love to see the capacity of that. Also wondering if it will bolt up to the 2.7 since there's not much diff between the nano 2.7 and 3.0.

That would explain it... If that indentation wasn't there for the axle another quart would fit in there. Ford is such a giant entity that one engineer was probably not talking to another, and by the time they made the adjustment the departments probably weren't communicating. That is probably also why the confusion regarding the "correct" initial fill amount. Ford has no obligation to tell customers like ourselves the intricacies of how initial fills work so they've probably adjusted them quietly in the background...which is why some people with new deliveries have had their oil levels be correct.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wonder how much oil is left in the pan at all times while the engine is running? Regardless of where the oil level is in a static pan, it seems like having 7 instead of 6 guarantees at least one extra quart of oil sitting around the sump at all times.

And at rest, neither go above the actual gasket level so It's not like you will get more seepage.

The things that make it go uhmmmm?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Best $60 I've spent!

Unsure on 2.7 fitment or cost, but here is the part number for the bronco raptor oil pan:
N2DZ-6675-A

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unsure on 2.7 fitment or cost, but here is the part number for the bronco raptor oil pan:
N2DZ-6675-A
That would give us an idea of how far 7 quarts sits from the 3.0 block, but not sure we could compare apples to oranges

Screenshot_20221101-091212_Chrome.jpg

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The solution to all of this is simple... We all just need to convert to a dry sump system.... 😂

Thunderstick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
(Almost) Took delivery of our 2 door 2.7 Black Diamond Auto Squatch today. 9/30 Blend, 10/4 Production, shipped 10/10 after a 19 + month wait.

First thing I checked was the oil level. It was spot on the top of the cross hatch on an H stick.

I'd say Ford has figured out it's a 6 quart motor, just like the manual says.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
(Almost) Took delivery of our 2 door 2.7 Black Diamond Auto Squatch today. 9/30 Blend, 10/4 Production, shipped 10/10 after a 19 + month wait.

First thing I checked was the oil level. It was spot on the top of the cross hatch on an H stick.

I'd say Ford has figured out it's a 6 quart motor, just like the manual says.
Agreed...but soon the hardcore 7 quart folks are going to chime in with all the reasons they're still going to use 7. It's great to have choices!

Freedom5

Badlands
First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Classic mini cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well he'll I'm going with 6.5Q. I just want to be different.

JD155

Big Bend
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traverse
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Called my local dealer & spoke to the service department to confirm 6 or 7 quarts. This is the info they provided to me.
Screenshot_20230531-154016~2.png
Sponsored